Power Kite Forum

Big guy first board

Cmguy1267 - 18-4-2013 at 10:15 PM

Hey everyone,

Had a question on what size or type of board i should be looking for as a first kite board. Im a big guy, about 235lbs 6 foot tall. I will be riding in pretty calm to slightly choppy waters in a protected bay area.
I have my kites and have practiced water launch and relaunch .Body dragging Along with self recovery. I also have an impact vest and helmet.
Unfortunately due to an unrelated injury I have a few months to save. Although was hoping for a used board as I know my first board Will get beat up. I dont mind buying a newer board.

Any tips are welcome! !!:wow:

arkay - 19-4-2013 at 07:53 AM

you should go with something big. the wider the better, length is not as important so long as it covers your stance. I personally love my mako 150 as a twin tip.

BeamerBob - 19-4-2013 at 09:37 AM

My first upwind run was on a 159 Spleene door that I eventually bought. I'm the same size as you and we need a large board to put you in the same kite size as the 150 to 180 lb guys. With skills, you will be able to ride a smaller board if well powered but the big board will still save the day for you when the winds are lighter.