Power Kite Forum

Ozone Octane 5M Review

Sier_Pinski - 8-10-2013 at 07:10 PM

The Octane compares similarly with the HQ Beamer, Peter Lynn Hornet, and Prism Tensor. These fixed-bridle quad-line kites all share a certain category of mid-aspect ratio and come in sizes from 2 to 5 square meters.

It's my first kite I own of this size, but after a year's worth of experience, I'll say that the Octane is very stable even in some inland gusty conditions when landboarding. It can also go upwind pretty well. I'd say from that standpoint that it would work great with buggies. Compared to other similar kites, the Octane (and all of Ozone's other kites) are made of a lighter-weight nylon fabric which makes it perform better in light wind, but it does make the kite a bit more fragile.

But either way, please get it with the quad handles instead of the 2-line bar. I have the Prism convertible control system with this kite, so I have experience with both methods. With that 2-line control bar, you can barely turn the kite and it always reaches and stalls at the edge of the wind window since you have no brake control. This makes it bad for low-end and gusty conditions, but it has worked at certain times during strong, smooth beach winds.

Overall, highly recommended for affordable all-purpose land/snow kite traction sports in moderately difficult conditions.

You can get the 5 meter version on this site complete with handles for $355, or with a 2-line bar for $430.

Sier_Pinski - 2-12-2013 at 08:50 PM

Found this review by Big Mike:

BigMikesKites - 3-12-2013 at 04:03 AM

I'm famous !!:P

Sier_Pinski - 5-12-2013 at 03:35 PM

I just noticed in your video that you mentioned that the Octane didn't have any dirt-outs. There are in fact two hidden Velcro zippers on both sides of the bottom edges of my kite. Apparently you either have a different model, or the dirt-outs are a bit difficult to notice. :wink2: