Power Kite Forum

Have you seen an Elf ?

Bladerunner - 23-3-2014 at 09:12 AM

I hadn't really noticed Elf kites until recently.

VERY interesting kites. In my quick look it seems they have a long history in kite terms. Russian tech.

Anybody have experience with these kites ?

Looks like they are snowkite focused but I see them winning races on water now ?

Are there kites open / closed cell or both depending on model ?

I expect they are using an interesting material ?

Somebody skool me on these things please !

B-Roc - 23-3-2014 at 12:57 PM

There is a lengthy thread on foilzone discussing it.

Feyd - 24-3-2014 at 06:05 AM

Raced against them in the WISSA event, didn't have a chance. Flies in damn near nothing, hauls butt in just a little more.

Used to be open cell, limited wind range. They were closed cell with broader wind range by the time I ran into them. Out flies the Speed 21 SA in light wind even with extensions. Goes upwind like an F-Arc but is able to go downwind equally well. Bump into it in the air and it falls out of the sky.

There are some shots of them in action and collision on my last blog entry...

http://hardwaterkiter.blogspot.com/

Still a pretty limited wind range but if you want to be the only guy riding on no-wind days, it's a killer kite.

Simon Gill is selling his off if you want to get into Elfs.

Bladerunner - 24-3-2014 at 05:30 PM

The website leads me to believe they are racing with these on water ? I wonder how they are stacking up against the LEI ?

I am not in the market for a race kite. I am just kind of amazed this one hasn't caused more of a stir on the racing scene ?

Kamikuza - 24-3-2014 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Feyd  
s able to go downwind equally well

Interesting. That was always one of the weaknesses with the S3 in racing... on water, anyway.

Feyd - 25-3-2014 at 05:49 AM

I think a really good flyer could make the Speed hang with the Elfs to a point. But you're right about the downwind, when I first saw them go downwind in next to nothing and just pull away I was amazed. Compared to what I was on if you look at the course compared to my GPS it didn't even seem like the same race.

It has caused a stir in the racing scene if your racing scene is snow. In Quebec Simon dominated for years on Elf kites. In Russia and nearby areas where there is a strong snowkite race scene it seems to be mostly Elf and Paraavis as the kites of choice.

Kamikuza - 26-3-2014 at 02:10 AM

Everything points to the Chrono being along the exact same lines. It's the Triple Depower on the Speed3's that have ruined that for themselves IMO, and the ultimate low-end. I think FS has moved away from the "fixed bridle" pure power set up in favor of greater stability and usability...

The place I was at in Thailand would have been good for that kind of kite, as the wind was super-stable. Here, it's not so nice and even the Speeds get bent out of shape and you're much better off with an LEI that isn't so twitchy.

Of course, I'm not interested in winning races though :D be interesting to see if the guys who do the water racing here swap to the Chrono - 90% of them are on Edges...

duvetion - 13-5-2014 at 05:26 PM

Watched some of the San Fran race http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3511933/events/2983640

Johnny is incredibly fast with the Chrono. Especially on the down wind where foil kites will dominate with their low end.

Elf?

soliver - 14-5-2014 at 04:57 AM

It took me a minute, but is assume you don't mean this guy...

How long did you think it would take before somebody did that?

Bummer you can't join us at JIBE, Blade.:(

sand flea - 14-5-2014 at 07:06 PM

excellent vid duvetion
thank you

That was some great racing.
The Chrono was so much faster than every lei out there,
nobody else had a chance.

this is worth watching

Kamikuza - 14-5-2014 at 08:54 PM

Yeah, PMU has been reql quiet of late :lol:

grigorib - 26-5-2014 at 07:31 PM

Great race kites, amazing upwind, smart ideas (ribs on leading edge, nets on air intake), cheap bar, bridles randomly get shorter like a t-shirt after a water dip (so never ever you dare to get someone's elf wet). Certain series fabric/seams did rip upon minor abuse.
Elfs to Flysurfer are like a race car to Lamborghini - first performs better but unless you're into track racing and you don't spend weekends making your own bar then just have something that is classy.

Kamikuza - 26-5-2014 at 09:02 PM

I think with the arrival if obvious race kites like he Elf and Chrono, the Speeds are relegated to being high performance free ride kites... suits me fine ;)

SpecialK - 26-5-2014 at 11:38 PM

I agree.. Everyone should get rid of those lame speeds and get better race kites :).. all at the same time preferably to depress the market value....