May 2016 SOBB DATES

kiteboyza - 9-12-2015 at 06:06 PM

Any dates?

Windy Heap - 10-12-2015 at 09:07 AM

young skywalker subscribing.

Morrie Williams - 10-12-2015 at 10:18 AM

Should be 5/28/2016-6/6/2016. Please verify Jon

jellis - 10-12-2015 at 01:06 PM

Yes Morrie is right. 5/28 thru. 6/6 everyone welcome, no fees, buggy camp donation appreciated. Around 16 miles of wide beach with edge of dunes to play in. We have emergency buggy repair (me) kite repair (Eli) information about conditions (Mayor Jimmy) how to (Bison) best spaghetti (Morrie) excellent pictures (Sean) great leather foot straps (Chris) lots of Canadian talk from (Ken, Ken and Ken) and on and on. Come join the fun!

MotoFoo86 - 10-12-2015 at 06:53 PM

Writing it on my calendar.... Requesting days off first of the new year!

Blitzhound - 11-12-2015 at 08:45 PM

Count me in! This time I'm coming fully geared! I've been refining my pulled pork recipe! So be prepared for some killer BBQ!! Can't wait to see you all again at buggy camp!:lol:

windthing2 - 13-12-2015 at 11:52 AM

We want to come. Is there a spot for a couple of dirty Texans to camp for a few days? We haven't been out west for eleven years or something like that. It would be great to see y'all again.:bigok:

Bladerunner - 13-12-2015 at 09:58 PM

Hey windthing,

Buggy camp is a big part of the SOBB experience. We are fortunate to still have the generous use of a members back 40. Dry camping but a PortaPotty and water are on site. Good times sharing stories, drinks, meals and general good times around the fire. No fee but we all kick in a donation to help cover costs.

I know I'll be trying to make it ! :bigok:

Windy Heap - 14-12-2015 at 10:43 AM

buggy camp

late night fires with no shortage of friends food and beverage.

hazy fog in the air and in the memories.

Who What Where When?

what happens in buggy camp stays in buddy camp.

.......but some people you just don't want to see naked.

kiteboyza - 21-12-2015 at 02:07 AM

thanks gents....ill be there :D

Blitzhound - 16-3-2016 at 07:15 PM

It's gettttting cloooser!!! I'm not excited or anything...just sayin!

ikemiester - 17-3-2016 at 06:56 AM

Dangit, my pilot training starts too close to then and I'm making the trek home earlier. I'll be home from the 3rd to the 11th of May ripping up sunset if anyone cares to join me in trying to find some good weather in early May.

kiteboyza - 17-3-2016 at 07:12 AM

booked and ready to go

ColinW - 9-4-2016 at 01:22 PM

We (my wife Roberta and I, and possibly my son Joe, and maybe even Sammy the black Lab) are looking to book a room for the event. Any suggestions?
Looks like the first weekend might be tough for us to schedule, but during the week appears to be a GO for sure! Any events or fun not to be missed at particular times?
colin

Windstruck - 9-4-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Windy Heap  
What happens in buggy camp stays in buddy camp.

.......but some people you just don't want to see naked.

"Buddy" camp? Typo you ask? Hmmmm... I think not!

...... Sadly as we've gotten older I'd have to say most people just shouldn't be seen naked. :saint:

Bladerunner - 10-4-2016 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ColinW  
We (my wife Roberta and I, and possibly my son Joe, and maybe even Sammy the black Lab) are looking to book a room for the event. Any suggestions?
Looks like the first weekend might be tough for us to schedule, but during the week appears to be a GO for sure! Any events or fun not to be missed at particular times?
colin

I find the City Center Hotel is about the best bang for buck. It is 1 block off the beach and 1 off the main street in Seaside. Great location for those not kiting. The rooms are clean , comfortable and more quiet than expected but it's an old place so not too fancy.

kiteboyza - 24-4-2016 at 06:46 AM

I stay in Motel 6, clean, nice big rooms, good WiFi, ice machines and safe parking,

ColinW - 26-4-2016 at 05:56 PM

Thanks guys!
I found a VRBO place just a couple blocks from the beach that is dog friendly, and i can cook my own food.
booked for Friday May 27 to Wednesday June 1.
Yay!
I'll be the guy with the red Chevy pickup just learning how to buggy... maybe I should get some sort of warning system, apart from screaming like a kid

:wee::wee::wee::wee::wee:

colin

kiteboyza - 27-4-2016 at 07:08 AM

lots of old hands that will help you out, dont worry about it

Was looking through my kites and I have a few for a swop/sale. Anybody else got gear they looking to trade/swop/sell...we could do it one evening at basecamp?

Just a thought

ColinW - 27-4-2016 at 04:58 PM

Thanks. People are so nice here.
I'll see if I can get a second mortgage on the house before I get there:D
Is there any kind of rule about disclosing actual price paid for kites to your spouse:karate::saint:
colin

Blitzhound - 29-4-2016 at 04:01 PM

Buggy camp swap meet! I like it! I don't have any money but I'll bring my "Will work for wind" sign. Maybe I could change it to "will work for kites"

Quote: Originally posted by kiteboyza  
lots of old hands that will help you out, dont worry about it

Was looking through my kites and I have a few for a swop/sale. Anybody else got gear they looking to trade/swop/sell...we could do it one evening at basecamp?

Just a thought

sand flea - 29-4-2016 at 07:26 PM

Blitz! totally cool idea!

Lets bring our older gear and have a swap meet or something like.

Bladerunner - 30-4-2016 at 10:59 AM

Family 1st!

Looks like I will have to miss yet another event this year due to family upheaval . :ticking:

GREAT! just got called downstairs. My car was broken in to.

This year just keeps getting worse. :borg:

God, grant me the serenity ........

kiteboyza - 2-5-2016 at 08:36 AM

oh man that sucks, hope nothing was lost from car!

Bladerunner - 2-5-2016 at 03:33 PM

I took in my day bag of tools and the company ones. Lazy man that I am I left my heavy roller bag. They just stole my socket set, open end wrenches, some pliers, my GPS and stuff. Left anything they couldn't resell for $10 or more and left my peperwork. For some reason they left my roller bag. It's worth over $100? They also left all my papers. SOoooo glad I brought in the company stuff!

That's life in the big city! :(

Really, I am far more bummed out about having to move my Mother rather than attend SOBB!

sand flea - 2-5-2016 at 03:41 PM

Oh Blade!!!

you are a heck of good guy to take care of your Mother first

I will look forward to the trifecta in Fall

Blitzhound - 3-5-2016 at 12:36 PM

Finally home off the ship! My new Phanny II was here waiting for me. Time to start going through all my gear and get ready for SOBB! Gotta do it now cuz I'm heading back out to sea next week so I can have SOBB off. This time I'm not answering the phone either
Sadly I had to patch a small tear in my little Venom 10m but she's as good as used once again. Nothing a little rip stop sail tape can't fix.

Also...I am planing on bringing my camp trailer. For the whole family! It's 28' with a slide. Is that too much for buggy camp? Should I try to find an RV park instead?

Wind_dog - 3-5-2016 at 10:39 PM

This will be my first event and I'm really looking forward to it.
I'd like to bring a little 15 foot pop-up trailer to buggy camp.
Is that cool?

Also wondering if there will be a little help learning to
pilot my new buggy for the first time.

Also wondering if there will be a little help with some
draft IPA . . . .

Also wondering if someone with DP experience
and an open mind could help setup and fly a
new Pansh Genesis 6m.
Yeah, I know Pansh has some non-followers but
I could not resist the latest sale and I am aiming towards
a variety of styles where a DP closed cell might be appropriate.

Yes, so much wonder.

Blitzhound - 4-5-2016 at 03:57 PM

This will be my second time to SOBB. Sadly last year I only got to stay for one day. I made the mistake of answering my phone when work called. DOH! Not this time though. There is lots of good IPA around. It's Oregon!!!! As far as setting up a new kite. There are lots of people that have a vast many years experience at kiting. Both DP and FB that will most certainly be happy to help. I'm not super experienced but I have several DP's and I have made my own bar/line setups. I have also been a sailor most of my adult life and am pretty competent with line and knots. Just make sure to say hello. You can't miss me! I'm big (6'8") kinda loud, I like to drink beer, eat BBQ, and fly kites! Not necessarily in that order. Can't wait to see you all there!!!:thumbup:

KiteBit - 5-5-2016 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ikemiester  
Dangit, my pilot training starts too close to then and I'm making the trek home earlier. I'll be home from the 3rd to the 11th of May ripping up sunset if anyone cares to join me in trying to find some good weather in early May.

I was there Tuesday. Where were you?
I'll be there later this afternoon, likely 'til low tide ~7pm.
:wee:

sand flea - 7-5-2016 at 07:49 AM

Vacation approved
I will be there for the week starting Saturday morning eating BBQ and drinking beer with Blitzhound, Winddog and Kitbit

KiteBit - 7-5-2016 at 08:49 AM

Excellent! Really looking forward to it! :thumbup:

In the meantime check out Ikemiester flying his 19m :o. This was cinco de mayo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE26qKJ0_08

Blitzhound - 7-5-2016 at 07:41 PM

Sweet. If all goes to plan I get off the ship Monday and will be there Tuesday morning.

Morrie Williams - 10-5-2016 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Blitzhound  
Also...I am planing on bringing my camp trailer. For the whole family! It's 28' with a slide. Is that too much for buggy camp? Should I try to find an RV park instead?

Talked with Jon yesterday and there should be no problem. There's a specific area on the north side of camp that he suggested you use. What day will you be coming in? I'll see if we can mark off the area for you.

Morrie Williams - 10-5-2016 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Wind_dog  
This will be my first event and I'm really looking forward to it.
I'd like to bring a little 15 foot pop-up trailer to buggy camp.
Is that cool?

Your pop-up should be no problem. Just find a nice level area for it. What day are you coming in?

Morrie Williams - 10-5-2016 at 07:14 AM

Oops! double post!

Blitzhound - 11-5-2016 at 02:19 AM

Sadly my schedule at the moment is in a constant state of flux. I work on ships. Not always on the same one. Not always on the same schedule. I'm a relief. I go where they need me. I planned on being there Tuesday the 31st. Through Sunday the 5th but that is subject to change. I won't have a more definitive plan till next week.

Morrie Williams - 11-5-2016 at 08:54 AM

No problem. We'll be setting things up on Friday the 27th and will locate and mark (hopefully) the best spot for your trailer.

Blitzhound - 11-5-2016 at 10:49 PM

Thanks Morrie. I'll keep you posted as plans begin to solidify. You guys Rock!
:smug::thumbup::thumbup:

eric67m - 12-5-2016 at 12:20 PM

It looks like I will be available to come for the first weekend. I would drive down after work on Friday the 27th, play Saturday and part of Sunday.

I'm looking forward to taking the buggy out for its second trip (I'm new to the buggy). I also look forward to meeting all the people that frequent this forum.

How does buggy camp work? I hear we kick in some money to cover the restroom rental. I assume it's bring a tent or sleep in your car. Bring your own food and water. Possibly some kite stuff to trade?

Is it possible to come in late Friday night (if I don't fall asleep on the side of the road before I get there).

Most important, where is buggy camp located?

Please send info here or in a u2u.

Thank you, Eric

Morrie Williams - 12-5-2016 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  
It looks like I will be available to come for the first weekend. I would drive down after work on Friday the 27th, play Saturday and part of Sunday.

I'm looking forward to taking the buggy out for its second trip (I'm new to the buggy). I also look forward to meeting all the people that frequent this forum.

How does buggy camp work? I hear we kick in some money to cover the restroom rental. I assume it's bring a tent or sleep in your car. Bring your own food and water. Possibly some kite stuff to trade?

Is it possible to come in late Friday night (if I don't fall asleep on the side of the road before I get there).

Most important, where is buggy camp located?

Thank you, Eric

Hi Eric,

We're all looking forward to meeting you and helping you in any way we can.

We have a porta potty and dumpster that is rented for the week. We throw money in to cover the rental costs plus a little for the land owner who allows us to get together there.

There's lots of area for tents, campers and cars. You should bring your own food and water. Sometimes there is a pot luck, but i'm not sure what's happening this year.

There's word that there may be some kind of swap meet for kites and gear.

You can come in any time you want. Friday night there will probably be people sitting around the camp fire when you pull in.

Here's a map to buggy camp with GPS coordinates:
Attachment: SOBB Buggy Camp.pdf (119kB)
This file has been downloaded 506 times

Here's also a tide table for the event:
Attachment: SOBB 2016 Spring Tides.pdf (96kB)
This file has been downloaded 511 times

See you there!

kiteboyza - 19-5-2016 at 09:58 AM

Ill be down ;ate evening May 30

Blitzhound - 19-5-2016 at 08:02 PM

Sweet! I love it when a plan comes together! Or was that the smell of napalm in the morning? Meh...either way I'll see you there!

Wind_dog - 20-5-2016 at 08:24 AM

Plans are finally set!
I'll be arriving Monday afternoon with popup trailer.
Looking forward to some beach time and camp time.

Blitzhound - 20-5-2016 at 09:07 PM

My work schedule has finally cleared up. I'm planning on being there from Sunday to Sunday! See you all soon! Has anyone else started packing or am I just over excited? Haha!

kiteboyza - 21-5-2016 at 10:01 AM

I started sorting this morning but then im driving form central Alberta
Lots of kites, lots to swop, a few harness, some depowers that wont fly for me
See you soon!

buggeyed - 25-5-2016 at 07:35 PM

I'll be there Fri - Mon, Ryan and his family will be there too. See you soon!

Blitzhound - 27-5-2016 at 07:17 PM

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!! See you all Sunday!

Morrie Williams - 10-6-2016 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  

Thank you, Eric

U2U Sent