Power Kite Forum

thinking about hitting the water!!!

Newb - 3-4-2007 at 02:53 PM

Hi i have been flying for a while now and decided i want to hit the water but i have been thinking what sort of money is this going to cost me to get all necessary gear etc so this is where the help of you come in what sort of budget should i set myself for kite surfing and also what size kite should i start with.

thanks for help in advance.

karl.

Flyingpinoy - 4-4-2007 at 06:03 AM

Well, I'll start with the basic questions:
What kind of power kites have you flown? What size? Have you taken lessons? The best place to start would be with some good lessons. The price will depend on what you're looking for, Kite surfing kites range from a couple hundred dollars up to $2,000 and some even more. You'd also need a kite surfing board, bar, lines and a harness and you'd need to figure out what kind of harness you prefer, either a diaper style or vest style. What kind of kites have you flown before? Dual line? quad line? handles? bar?
Anyways, these are some basic questions you'll be asked, but like I said the best place to start is to find some one that can give you lessons. Preferrably some one that comes highly recommended in your area otherwise you could end up with some jerk that just wants your money and could put you in serious danger.
Oh and be careful....once you get into it, this is a very addictive sport!

Bladerunner - 4-4-2007 at 09:51 AM

If you want to go all used( A good idea at 1st. ) you can pick up 5 line C kites pretty cheap now. I would suggest that with 3 lessons and used gear you can get in around $1,200 U.S. dollars.
This could be WAY wrong for Great Britain though !!!!

So take your lessons, get connections and a feel for your area, THEN buy used proven quality kites.