Power Kite Forum

Peter Lynn Vortex

alpinerider - 15-4-2007 at 10:07 AM

I'M looking for any reviews/input regarding the PL Vortex. I currently have a Vemon, i'm looking for some real world comparisons. Thanks.

acampbell - 16-4-2007 at 07:32 AM

What would you use it for? The Vortex is a great entry level twin-skin meant for the water. It is super stable. It hangs back in the window so as not to over-fly the novice rider and as such is not a good choice for the buggy or land board because of sideways pull. OK for snow, though as you can hold down the sideways pull with the skiis edges.

A customer of mine with very little kite experience got a Vortex for the frozen lake and will use it in the water when it thaws. He found it easy to fly and took to it very well with little outside help.

The Venom is a more versatile cross-over kite useable on both water and land.

awindofchange - 16-4-2007 at 03:56 PM

If you currently own the Venom, the Vortex may be a bit of a let down for you. The Venom has much higher performance and better upwind ability than the lower aspect ratio Vortex. That said, the Vortex is an awesome kite for wave riding because you can really whip it around fast and get it out in front of you off the lip without worrying that it is going to come crashing down. It has a stronger auto-zenith than the Venom does and you fly it with slightly tighter rear lines than the Venom.

For waves, the Vortex is a great kite and will work pretty nicely with your Venom. For cruising and upwind, you may be happier with another Venom.

Hope that helps.