Power Kite Forum

Leading Edge (micro spar) "Update"

Pdxnebula - 3-7-2007 at 12:24 PM

Just came up with a way to hold open the Leading Edge of a Foil Kite, (In case theres a loss of wind & one just needs to keep the kite moving & yet take full advantage of the, Dead Air)...

"Update" Instead of using #@%$#!tail straws Im using Q-Tip, straws, Thicker & yet smaller & they'll hold up to (27kts. winds thats 31.mph Just this evening), & glued inplace...

(Taking a very small Drinking straw or similar material, cut it to the length of the leading edge, of the Profiled Rib, then take the peice of straw & slice it lengthwise up 1 side & slide it over the Rib "vertically") "Bingo" Instant Leading edge "micro spar" to hold the Chamber open... Just use good strong tape to hold the (mirco spars) in place & the Wind does the rest...

I just tried it on a small 6' foil & it works really simple, placing 1 on every other rib & the kite even seems to want to inflate "indoors" Just sweeping it around through the air...

If anyone uses the Idea let me know???

Microspar_1.JPG - 13kB

Bladerunner - 3-7-2007 at 06:10 PM

I have never taken him up on it but a friend does INDOOR kite flying with a group in town :puzzled:
another showed me this little micro-foil he made that you can fly in the living room :cool2:
Clearly there is some info sharing among them. I'll see if the friend can hook you up with a link.

Pablo - 3-7-2007 at 08:14 PM

Interesting, it could help, you'd just have to be sure that it still flexed properly in an impact and such. Most people I know though go to a larger sized kite when the one they are flying won't stay inflated. The 13m Century inflates great in about 2mph winds.

Pdxnebula - 3-7-2007 at 09:41 PM

Well it worked some what in about 1-5 Gusts, & that was the extent of the gusts... the Air's been Dead here in Portland, but they did help, & so did the link line between the power lines. but we are talking a small 6' quadline foil... so every little bit helps... as far as INDOOR foil flying... just a thought, I wouldnt want to try it, was only thinking out loud... I'll have to wait for the $$$ funds to build back up before I get anything bigger than my small RushII 250, its still bigger than the rest of mine & will fly when the others wont...

Microspar_2.JPG - 14kB

Pablo - 4-7-2007 at 05:25 PM

Indoor flying should be possible, I know in pretty much zero winds I can walk slowly backwards in a circle and fly my 4.8m Combat proto outdoors.

Pdxnebula - 4-7-2007 at 11:16 PM

I got the thumbs up from a "HQ Design engineer" on another forum, so its a permanent addition to my smaller kites, plus added it to my Rush250, & it works great Just use good strong tape to hold the (mirco spars) in place & the Wind does the rest, was flying my Rush 250 this evening in somewhat iffy 5mph wind, & even during a few good lulls It just kept flying & was able to guide it all the way to the ground backwards & relaunch with NO probelms, it though it was in Quadline... Edge stands & all from 1 side of the window to the other during the lulls...

Also They need'nt be temporary, their small enough they add practically "0" weight & slipping them on the "EDGE" of the Profile Rib the seam acts as an extra brace inside the slit straw material, & then a good 2" peice of tape just folded in ½ over the straw down both opposite sides of the Rib & its not going anywhere... & the Straws Im talking of are the "little #@%$#!tale straws" you get in a bar with your drink that they usually give you 2 of... so their teeny yet they hold open the edge of the chamber, like they were made for it, & the shorter they are the stronger they are... Just dont bend them when your folding your kite to put it away...

Microspar_3.JPG - 12kB