Power Kite Forum

RockvilleATS-New 12" Wheels

Kitecrazy - 6-5-2004 at 08:45 PM

Just bought a pair of Rockville's new"LEAP" skates. These have 12" wheels. I like them very much so far. I'm new to kiting but I do hope to explore these Leap skates with a kite. Their website is; http://www.skaterace.com/RockvilleATS.htm#Skates

leap.jpg - 29kB

doomwheels - 7-5-2004 at 12:36 AM

All in all, they look pretty good (and somewhat familiar). I'd be interested in the price.

Issues to consider:
1. A rigid boot is important for kite skating. These look comfortable, but how much support do the boots offer (especially around the toes and lower foot)?

2. The heel looks adjustable (am I right?). If so, can it take the stress of the skater's weight plus the added weight of the kite force while bumping around or jumping on rough terrain?

3. How quickly does the brake assembly come off? Brakes have no useful purpose of kiteskates.

Overall, if the price is right, this looks like one of the better skates I've seen in a while just because of its simple assembly (as is the concept of doomwheels). I invite the Rockville boys to send over a pair and I will R&D them for kiteskating. Well, it was worth a try.

Kitecrazy - 7-5-2004 at 09:12 AM

I can answer Question #3.- That brakes can quickly be removed.

- I paid about $190 for my pair of Leaps.
- Contact Jef Anderson [jef@skaterace.com] about your last point.
I believe these Leaps will serve kiteskaters well.

Bill_Benson - 8-6-2005 at 03:56 PM

I have a pair of Rockville Street Feet and really like the boot, very comfortable and much cooler in the summer than my Coyotes. I think the larger wheel will be a vast improvement for kiteblading applications. I am pretty much stuck to riding parking lots with my Streeters. I totally agree with Mr. Childs about the brakes, wish it came with a sans-brake option. It is useless and would possibly bring the cost down a bit, or even better a hands free mechanism for other uses like skijouring.

Bill_Benson - 14-7-2005 at 02:53 PM

So, has anyone received/ordered a pair yet? Interested in a review.