Power Kite Forum

surf kite choices

livetodriveaporsche - 2-12-2007 at 02:47 AM

Hey guys,

My boss is looking to get into kiteboarding, so right now im kinda browsing his choices on kites...

I own a Rage 3.5, and soon a blade 4.9, so he can try those out and become proficient before hitting the water.

I was looking at flysurfers, for their durability and low wind performance, but was wondering if there is a better choice for a beginner? if flysurfers, which model?

He kinda needs low wind capabilities, he will be boarding on a lake, and the wind is probably 7-13mph most days. And we will have a boat so recovery isn't all that big of a deal.

He is also an experienced wakeboarder, if that has any affect on anything.

Thanks
(yeah I know, not the best thought out post...)

Bladerunner - 2-12-2007 at 07:52 AM

Those are very low wind speeds for a Depower foil. He will need a big one. How big depends on his size.
Peter Lynn Arcs have a reputation of being a good foil for learning. They have an auto zenith feature that is VERY handy !! The kite sits nicely as you worry about your board and getting set up. It also usually returns to zenith if you bail and let go rather than crashing. The newer ones have an improved bottom end and wider wind range.
If he wants to ride on water 1st and formost then perhaps he'ld be better off with an lei / bow style kite ? Less agro when it comes to learning and relaunching. LEI's are not a bad choice on snow if that is his other passion.

I hope your Boss gets hooked. He'll then understand why he is better off just to release you on windy days than to deal with you staring out the window all afternoon ! :cool2:

Pablo - 2-12-2007 at 11:20 AM

The PL kites are great for learning on but the wind range has me somewhat concerned, I don't pull the 16Scorpion out of the bag until it hits 15mph, hoping to go lower with the directional board, Even most tubes fall out of the sky in 8mph, I've almost never seen anyone locally getting in a good session on one in under 10mph. So I'd be taking a good look at FS, Apparently the big ones will pull nicely in that wind range, he may still need to look at a big surf style board as well.

Bladerunner - 2-12-2007 at 03:09 PM

A local had a HUGE Phsyco 2 for sale . I think it was a 26m ? :wow: ( or was it 21 ? ) . He could ride on the water at about 10mph with it. If you are interested I can see if he still has it for sale .

livetodriveaporsche - 2-12-2007 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbird

I hope your Boss gets hooked. He'll then understand why he is better off just to release you on windy days than to deal with you staring out the window all afternoon ! :cool2:

Yeah I hope, on the days I go to work, it is the right wind. go figure.

i'll take a look at peter lynns.

snowbird, thanks, but he won't be buying until summer.

I do have another question though, the bar that comes with the flysurfers looks kinda cheap, do you recommend a different bar?

Thanks for all your advice.

DenisLaMenace - 2-12-2007 at 04:37 PM

You will get a better low end for light winds with a Flysurfer Speed2 15m or SilverArrow.

But learning kitesurf in light winds is not the best idea. He will loose much time trying to relaunch the kite in light winds after a crash. And crash will happen in first sessions.

It takes good flying ability to get going in 7mph even with a Flysurfer. It also takes a good board for light winds, such as the Spleene door.

He will have more fun in winds above 13mph at the beginning

As for the Flysurfer, the Pulse2 will be a better kite for a beginner. Easier to relaunch, but light wind performance will not be the same.

Pulse2 not really available yet, and not many Pulse1 for sale. Psycho3 could do the job.

As fr the bar with FS, I just got a new Psycho3 yesterday, and the bar is not cheap at all.

livetodriveaporsche - 2-12-2007 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by buzz
You will get a better low end for light winds with a Flysurfer Speed2 15m or SilverArrow.

But learning kitesurf in light winds is not the best idea. He will loose much time trying to relaunch the kite in light winds after a crash. And crash will happen in first sessions.

It takes good flying ability to get going in 7mph even with a Flysurfer. It also takes a good board for light winds, such as the Spleene door.

Yeah, thats why I'm looking at foils, because thats what the lake offers most days.

barnes - 2-12-2007 at 05:51 PM

If its possible, look for lessons. They are really priceless when it comes down to it. Teach him yourself kite control with your kites, so he can fast track the lessons. I got through the 3 lesson course in less then 2 because I knew kite control.

livetodriveaporsche - 2-12-2007 at 06:05 PM

thats probably not going to happen. We're about 400 miles from lessons. But I see your point, thanks.

Pablo - 2-12-2007 at 09:07 PM

Some schools offer a weekend package, I believe Skypilot has 2 and 3 day lesson packages, all the gear including dry suits. I believe there's camping available as well. Average winds are 20-30mph, so small kite weather. It may be worth it to book a cheapo flight in the spring when most areas kick back into kiting mode.

livetodriveaporsche - 3-12-2007 at 12:23 PM

really? I didn't know that anyone had weekend packages. now that might be possible. thanks.

powerzone - 3-12-2007 at 01:04 PM

SILVER ARROW

livetodriveaporsche - 3-12-2007 at 09:46 PM

I was just looking at the ozone lineup, and they say in their flyer that the 15m sport will go down to 4-6mph ???

anyone have an opinion on this?

edit: also found the best waroo 17m will go down to 8 knots, would this also be a choice?

I realize im looking at two entirely different types of kite, but the foil might be a little to expensive, so im checking out other options.

Bladerunner - 3-12-2007 at 10:02 PM

15m SPORT :?: That is a new kite to me :?:
The only water kite that I know of by Ozone is the instinct. One FINE kite ! :thumbup: :thumbup:

livetodriveaporsche - 3-12-2007 at 10:03 PM

instinct sport, sorry. lol

Bladerunner - 3-12-2007 at 10:05 PM

Ha Ha, Just searched and noticed that!

I don't have 1st hand experience but have never heard a bad word about the intstincts !

If you can't get the Boss on a weekend lesson. There are some good instruction videos. Get him to pick one up and commit it to memory !

livetodriveaporsche - 3-12-2007 at 10:08 PM

what do you think about their lowest wind claim?
ozone flyer

Bladerunner - 3-12-2007 at 11:05 PM

If you notice the chart shows a slow progresion. There is a big grey zone between the kite having enough power to fly and enough to generate power for kite bords. I am by no means qualified on the water but do know that more than 50% of low wind riding is in the board. Spleene's seem to be the leader.
As folks have mentioned Uber low wind is a real pain to learn in. If that is all you have your Boss would do well taking a kite specific vacation.

livetodriveaporsche - 4-12-2007 at 12:53 AM

I think you just convinced me to start looking at boards and lessons lol.
he was originally going to use a wakeboard, but now its seems thats not going to work to well. he has a shorty board haha.

so, here's where I'm at, mid size foil, or large SLE.

and I was thinking movies for christmas :wink2:

Bladerunner - 4-12-2007 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
and I was thinking movies for christmas :wink2:

I think that is a great idea. He can then get all stoked by the video and hopefully watch it so many times he can't forget !
Nothing like a lesson but a good start.

I think trying to learn on a wake board is extremely tough. Add low wind and your boss may hate the sport thinking HE is the problem. Something about the edge on wakeboards is not set right ?

NOTHING like good gear and lessons for that kick start.

I good bow kite and a big old Door or Spleene are his best bet !