Power Kite Forum

Control Bar for PL Arcs...

barnes - 8-12-2007 at 07:56 PM

I'm looking for a PL Arc for land and water riding. I can find plenty of kites used, but no one has a bar or lines. I looked on ebay, and the bars that are there say they will work with certain kites. I'm trying to clear up what kind of bar I need for the Arcs. I'm looking at a Venom or a Phantom.

Pablo - 10-12-2007 at 11:16 AM

As long as it's a long throw bar it should be fine. I'd imagine anything from a Bow type kite would be fine. PL kites usually like 12" of travel, some people are modding their bars to get 18" of travel on them.

krumly - 10-12-2007 at 10:49 PM

Here's all you need to know regarding pigtail lengths and bar setups for PL Arcs from the S-Arc through the Scorpion:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mx5alan/arcs/ARCsetup_FAQ.htm

I have a 9m GII on an Airrush bar. 15"-16" throw on the depower line. About 8" on the depower strap. I have knots on the front pigtails about 3" above the factory knots to allow me to do a gross shift to the depower range. If I need even more depower or the kite is tending to backstall, I can move the front lines to the higher knots (effectively shortening the front lines).

krumly

crazymanme2 - 11-12-2007 at 11:49 AM

I'm new to kiting and just bought a Pepper 2.Was going to use a de-power bar on it for longer flying times so I won't get so tired.The shop told me to hook the front lines to the out side and the brakes to the inside but they talk the oppisite here.Can someone help a newbee.Not sure what kind of power bar but it has up to about 16" of travel and a adjustment for the brakes,18"bar.Help please.

Bladerunner - 11-12-2007 at 12:42 PM

A depower bar does NOT simply cross over to a fixed bridle kite by switching lines from front to back !!! It will fly like poop! If that salesman sold you a bar I'ld take it back.

If you own the bar already you can modify it to work. Check out this previous link and the others contained within to see how to do it.

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=4569&pa...

To do it right you must at least replace the depower strap with a pulley on the brakes.

With a depower kite you alter the angle of attack by changing the length of the front lines. With a fixed bridle you alter the back lines or brakes to assist in steering and landing.

powerzone - 14-12-2007 at 10:37 AM

check your U2U Barnes. i can hook you up.

kitesurfer - 30-1-2008 at 06:03 AM

u don't need anything special. A broom stick will work fine with any arc. I have used wood but i prefer fiberglass tube because of durability and weight. you can simply tie a ring onto the center of the bar and run your chicken loop line (harness line) through it if you want. you don't need a hole in the center of the bar. buy a strap adjuster for $15, a roll of Q line (600# test, 500ft) for $115 and use a wooden dowel/fiberglass tube/stainless steel tube or any other straight stick you may have that is 60cm or longer. the rule is keep it simple.