Power Kite Forum

Looking for a Water Kite

nailimexam - 30-12-2007 at 09:51 PM

Hi, I'm looking for a kite with the following properties:

1. Easy to launch from the water

2. Quick Unpacking/Packing. Also compact storage.

3. Entry Level (I have some experience flying two-line stunt kites from Prism)

Would be nice to also have:

1. Ability to fly upwind (into the wind).

2. Ability to drop power whil still flying (in case of unexpected gusts).

3. flight in light winds

Would a quad-line closed-cell/ram air foil be best for my needs?

domdino - 31-12-2007 at 09:26 AM

Hey man.... sounds like you need to get yourself a flysurfer or peter lynn kite if you're set on a foil!
What kind of wind speeds are you gonna be primarily flying in, and how clean is the wind where you are? (ocean breezes or inland?)

Here's my opinion on your needs:

1. Easy to launch: Flysurfer Pulse2
2. Quick unpacking / compact: Flysurfers & Peter Lynns
3. Entry Level: GET A LESSON. PLEASE. Peter Lynn are better entry level kites.
4. Flying upwind: That is more an ability you yourself will need to learn, all kites can go upwind, some better than others
5. Dropping power is more like gust absorption and foils are generally better at dealing with this than inflatos, although bow and sle kites drop power very well by letting the bar out, foils will generally just cruise through
6. Lightwinds: Flysurfer SA.

leebrianh - 31-12-2007 at 09:39 AM

Looks like you are looking for Flysurfer, except for one thing, it's not for beginners. Unless you use Flysurfer when you take lessons, you will need to spend some time to understand how Flysurfer works. If you are patient enough, however, reward is more than you think.

Pablo - 31-12-2007 at 11:01 AM

If you have to deal with light winds on a regular basis, avoid PL kites. They're great at most things, but light winds are not one of them.

nailimexam - 31-12-2007 at 11:18 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I'm actually looking to fly it on Lake Superior (the largest surface area of all fresh water lakes in the world) so basically like an ocean with smaller waves.

I am looking for a kite that I can learn on but won't need to upgrade once I know the ropes. (Is this a good idea, or am I better off starting with a trainer?.)

I wanted it to be good in light winds so I could practice on calmer days (onshore first of course).

Here's the sticker: I am not looking to kite-board, but want a kite I can use to help power my 22-foot long two-person sea kayak! (any objections?)

I want a kite I can launch from the #@%$#!pit out on the water and also reel it in and stow if the wind dies or if it gets too windy.

kitesurfer - 1-1-2008 at 07:46 AM

boxkite! the only way to go on a kayak (safely)

USA_Eli_A - 1-1-2008 at 11:53 AM

Kayakers use single line Parafoils through an eye on the bow! Maybe a Three meter inflatable.

nailimexam - 1-1-2008 at 05:19 PM

Yes, that's what i've heard. But I think there are several problems with a single line parafoil:

1) You can't steer a single-line foil, so the direction of pull cannot be ajusted. If the wind is coming from the side, the single-line parifoil will be pulling the kayak side ways (or worse over into a roll).

2) You can't let the wind out of a single-line foil in case of emergancy. It could also be difficult to reel in with a full sail.
Also, if the wind really picks up you have no choice but to cut the line and lose your precious kite.

3) I think it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to fly a single-line kite into the wind.

Also, I think it would be a lot safer to fly a powerful quad-line kite from a kayak (with a foot controlled rudder) than from a 1' x 4' surf-board.

powerzone - 2-1-2008 at 03:05 PM

what about older surf kites:

Flysurfer: Mastair

Quadrifoil: kitesurfer series

JoJo: wet

Peter Lynn : waterfoil

Concept Air : wave

i have a Mastair 12m i can unload for $150 and some handles etc... drop me a line