what is best ?

a door like spleene 54, 64, which is long, flat rocker, and mostly square tips

or a shorter board but WIDE and rounder tips, flat rocker too
(crazy-fly pro cruiser 2008 - 145x48)
(spleene 2008 rip 40 - 140x47)

what about the shape for choppy water ?
a door with square tips
or a board with rounder tips

I already have a litewave freeride 169 but want to trade it since I feel it like long and heavy

cheers!

domdino - 16-1-2008 at 09:31 PM

Choppy waters the ocean rodeo mako is amazing, i mean, AMAZING... its got a weird bottom and it really just goes through chop like nothing else i've tried so far...

My fav. for light wind is the door + speed combo, gets me going nice and fast :)

Wideness is the key to light wind though, i haven't tried the crazy fly... i think its one of those, you have to try it situations :)

Many people swear by bigger surf board styles for light winds

DenisLaMenace - 16-1-2008 at 09:40 PM

which mako do you ride ?

I can see the round shape good for sure in choppy water, it almost look like a surf !

the freeride, the wide or the freestyle?

what type of rocker does it have?

domdino - 17-1-2008 at 07:40 AM

Yeah it's great, i rode the 150 for a while, was going to get one but i ended up buying another kite instead :) oops.... and i'm thinking about going to flyboards when they come out because i don't ride in that much chop.... but they are amazing in anything, it holds its edge better than anything and goes bloody fast! It Carves great, transitions are like snowboarding in powder.

A lot of people really like the 135 as well, might be worth you getting that one, although i would guess the 150 is better in surf and light winds? (Dunno though! haven't tried)

One really fun thing about these boards is they create MASSSSSIVE spray, it makes you look like your riding in a hurricane as it just lips up a massive wave in front of you :D

The rocker is about 7 cm progressive, no flat section i think...

I really think this board is one of kiteboardings best kept secret, as with most ocean rodeo gear... for some reason no one knows about them or wants to get their kit but, to me, it's the absolute top of the line when it come to inflatable gear.

leebrianh - 17-1-2008 at 08:06 AM

I have a Spleene Door 54. Great light wind board. With my SA2, my low end was 8mph. If your weight is 200lb or more than go for Door 64. I am 150lb and Door 64 is probably over-kill, lowering top end.

DenisLaMenace - 17-1-2008 at 08:08 AM

A local dealer here sells the Ocean Rodeo products. He's got very good words for their kites. And I have read some reviews that all good.

He thinks he does not sell them much compared to other kites for a marketing reason.

At least, they seem to be popular in western canada where they are made.

domdino - 17-1-2008 at 08:32 AM

You should see if he'll let you demo a mako! new ones just came out, i don't like the design too much :/ look kinda like the new spleenes...

I love the design on the new flyboards, which, i think are the same design as the spleenes, so i think i'll get one of them :)

Would kinda like to try the smaller mako though, uhhg so many decisions, but it's definitely time for a new board for me as well!