Power Kite Forum

anybody ever tried one of these behind a kite?

nwsurfwakeskate - 19-1-2008 at 09:11 PM

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard8.asp?ProductID=...

I'm thinking about making a Ply Door (poor mans Spleene) but I came across this and I get the feeling it might make a pretty good kiteboard.

plus you can get them on the internet for about $150 new!

any advise would be much appriciated :thumbup:

nwsurfwakeskate - 19-1-2008 at 09:19 PM

my main concern is the amount of rocker the board has 2.8" but I'm thinking some of that might go away when the board is flexed under load.

anybody think this thing would work in chop or for going upwind?

Bladerunner - 20-1-2008 at 07:14 AM

Build the door. Most folks are pleased with the results.

For a few reasons wakeboards aren't great kite boards.
If they worked the companies would definately be moving in on the market.

kitesurfer - 30-1-2008 at 05:56 AM

too much rocker! it won't go away under load, but quite the opposite. Build a ply with no rocker. it will bend under load. build the door wide and offset the foot straps :)

BeamerBob - 30-1-2008 at 09:17 AM

You are right about the rocker. It will increase when you load up the board. Your feet will tend to push the center of the board away from you and the water will push the tips towards you.

barnes - 20-2-2008 at 07:51 AM

Does anyone have a link to Ply Door plans? Never could seem to find them.

DenisLaMenace - 20-2-2008 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barnes

http://kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm

barnes - 21-2-2008 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by buzz
Quote:
Originally posted by barnes

http://kitesurfingschool.org/board.htm

So there are no 'plans' persay, just free hand it? Maybe I'll sketch up some CAD plans for those with access to a large format printer.

powerzone - 27-2-2008 at 10:36 AM

that wakeboard thing is too small... the point of a DOOR is to have it over 150cm at least....

i concurr with the rest of the folks here to build the door for best lightwind at cheapest price.

macboy - 27-2-2008 at 08:20 PM

Could a guy get away with laminating a 120cm length piece of 1/4" ply centered on the bottom of a 150cm length of 1/4" ply, sanding it smooth thereby giving me 15cm of slight "tip rocker" on each end? The ONLY reason I ask is that I had a 4' X 8' sheet sliced into 40.5cm (16") strips - eight feet long each - so I have three of them. If I cut two of them to 150cm and the other ones right in half (120cm) I could theoretically make two boards.

Not a hill to die on, it'd just be nice to not waste the material and as a bonus have two boards for the price of one......so to speak.

I had thought to give one of them overall rocker in addition but think given this thread I won't bother. Or maybe I will to see the difference.....

No fins either? What if I do?