Power Kite Forum

The Blade is King

Pages:  1  

BeamerBob - 8-2-2008 at 03:08 PM

I just flew a Blade IV 6.5m loaned from Tridude. That is by far the most well engineered, well designed, no compromise kite I've ever had my hands on. I found myself calculating "ok, if I sell my Crossfire and my 2 Panshs I will have this much money". It is that nice. I had it set on the least lifty setting in 6-8 mph and it picked me up 5-6 times, with one getting my feet 3-4 feet off the ground. What is this piece of machinery like on a more lifty setting with 15 mph winds? To get it to luff I had to have it at the edge of the window AND the wind completely die. It is the best flying kite I've ever flown. It has better speed than a 5m Ace as I remember. And it doesn't stop there either, the bag is a piece of rugged art. It is plenty tough, and looks like it will go the distance and stay nice looking. The lines are very slick to be the extreme duty lines. And those handles feel just right in your hands. They look very strong, have just enough padding that stays put, and those nice neoprene sleeves where the lines come out of the handles. Wow.

Now that I think about it, I bet Angus put Tridude up to this loan. I'm sure he has one or two ready to ship. I knew someday I would want one but now it is a pressing need.

kiteNH - 8-2-2008 at 03:21 PM

Wow, 3-4 feet off the ground in 6-8 MPH. And in the least lift setting no less. It sounds like a great low wind machine.

Add this to the long long list of glowing Blade IV reviews. I guess their probably worth the $&, but they sure aren't cheap. I wonder if a government rebate check is enough to cover a Blade IV 6.5?

Bladerunner - 8-2-2008 at 05:11 PM

B'Bob,
I notice in your photo's that Wexler and your Dad hold their handles with all fingers below the top fly line ? I find it is far easier to control with one finger above the fly line!

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 06:46 PM

I fell in love too! I got to fly the 4.9 Hard to beat.

BeamerBob - 8-2-2008 at 06:56 PM

I have learned and therefore taught others to hold the handle that way when they are flying a little too much kite for the conditions. Yes it isn't optimal when conditions are optimal but if you want more ability to brake if you are nervous when launching or if it is gusty, that can give you some confidence. Then when you are sure you can control the kite, move the finger up. I've done it many times myself and drop into that position as a first emergency step if I realize I'm in over my head. I zoomed in on the pic below and Wexler is holding correctly. He flew the Blade today and held the handles that way to start and then moved his finger up.

B-Roc - 8-2-2008 at 07:00 PM

I never fly with the leader lines through my fingers unless I'm really being overpowered and need to give my wrists a break.

All fingers below the leaders for me, all the time. That is one of the reasons flexi handles aren't my favorite as their contour pretty much forces you to have the leader between your fingers.

But I like to fly on the brakes and pretty much use brake turns only.

BeamerBob - 8-2-2008 at 07:02 PM

Another thing on this is on Profoil handles, the thick foam stops just below the leader. It is uncomfortable to fly on those handles with a finger above the leader. But otherwise, I have one finger above.

krumly - 8-2-2008 at 07:08 PM

I hear what B-Roc and BeamerBob are saying, but it's never felt right for me to not have my index finger above the front line, and my thumb parked on the back rear edge of the handle top. Even in nukin' winds.

Each to their own I guess, but I like being able to pivot the bottom of the handle around the index finger with the other three fingers. I gotta say though, my first kite was a Quadrafoil 2m with the QuadTrac handles, and those things made my hands achebetween the index and middle finger - don't know why.

krumly

tridude - 8-2-2008 at 08:24 PM

Glad you enjoyed it and no Angus did not put me up to this:D Great pics and youll be fine in 15 mph winds! Enjoy!

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 08:30 PM

Bob, HANG ON!! in 15-17mph wind It has got to be badder than my Blade2 6.4 in that wind! These kites a something to be respected in strong winds.The B4 with the aoa knots helps a great deal B2 does not have these But it will snatch you for a nice float in gusty wind! Have fun get one soon and be careful. Sthrasher. Hey I think it was tridude that got me to buy my Blade also.. Hum....

zloty - 8-2-2008 at 08:33 PM

They sure are sweet low wind engines. Now put them on block hooked to harness and You have this http://www.flickr.com/photos/slawek2006/608354144/in/set-721...

tridude - 8-2-2008 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zloty
They sure are sweet low wind engines. Now put them on block hooked to harness and You have this http://www.flickr.com/photos/slawek2006/608354144/in/set-721...

You got skillz!

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 09:01 PM

Hell yea he does! Look at that quiver of Blades he has to love to jump! Also killer saftey gear. He looks like Robocop!:borg:

Bladerunner - 8-2-2008 at 09:04 PM

Actually the picture I 1st noticed this in was one of Wexler on someone I forgets website ??? Then that recent link to your photos and I noticed you Dad flying that way.

This is turning into an interesting topic. I always actively fly with one finger above but when I'm chickening out or bringing it down I very often have to move my hands way down to the bottom.

I'll have to try it with all below next time out haven't tried for years. Back when I was starting I know I found that messed me up :puzzled:

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
I zoomed in on the pic below and Wexler is holding correctly. He flew the Blade today and held the handles that way to start and then moved his finger up.

Another pic

tridude - 8-2-2008 at 09:05 PM

Ok Ok I am in no way or capacity affilliated with Flexifoil. I have notice over my short flying tenure that all we hear about with Blades is lift. The IV series flight characteristics are amazing and yes they lift too. Maybe Da Vinch will post up a 6.5 to demo this time!

BeamerBob - 9-2-2008 at 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tridude
Ok Ok I am in no way or capacity affilliated with Flexifoil. I have notice over my short flying tenure that all we hear about with Blades is lift. The IV series flight characteristics are amazing and yes they lift too. Maybe Da Vinch will post up a 6.5 to demo this time!

I will agree with that point. In a U2U to Tridude, I just told him the thing that kept coming back to mind about the blade was how it turns. It is very responsive. It turns more like a 5m kite. And it isn't a persnickity race kite either. It blends the power and lift of the highest ends of kites, with the stability of a beamer. It's like they found a way to maximize both aspects instead of picking one. That is the magic here. No other kite I've flown (limited) has had both ends of performance and stability in equal doses. I'll have a more complete comparison after next weekend. I will get to stake out and fly the blade beside a 6m and 4m Ace, and my Crossfire. I will be able to explain the relative strengths and weeknesses of each kite.

tridude - 9-2-2008 at 06:45 AM

One question you got 3/4 feet on a pend.......and Wex flew her too? Wooohoo he must have had a good time:o. Look forward to hearing what you think when you move up to the next AOA knot...........

acampbell - 9-2-2008 at 07:14 AM

What is the low end of the 6.5? I'd be curious to test the low end of the 8.5 Blade. I've had some dissapointing wind days that have had me testing the low end of the PL Reactor 8.3m It is a light weight sail like the Blade but of course not as lifty. I can launch in 4 mph and buggy in 5.

[Start of Digression] The Crossfire II's will be here the end of March and they will have a 10m version. they ave always been a heavier build (lot of reinforcements), but the bigger one might be fun to play with. [/ End of digression]

SecondWind - 9-2-2008 at 07:33 AM

I'm looking forward to trying out an 8.3m Reactor soon Angus.

I think it would be perfect for my low wind days with the Dirtsurfer.

tridude - 9-2-2008 at 10:05 AM

winds WSW @ 10 today and WNW @ 16 tomorrow. I wonder what Beamerbob is doing:?:

acampbell - 9-2-2008 at 10:36 AM

I'm looking at that West wind. Low tide at 4pm. I'm outta here by 2. Four mile runs each way are likely

Sthrasher38 - 9-2-2008 at 01:15 PM

4 mile runs each way! You guys are spoiled. There is no wind here this weekend for me.:sniff:

tridude - 9-2-2008 at 01:21 PM

ACampbell has a sweet beach for sure. Im grounded, only have one kite and winds are offshore/too strong so Im grounded workin that Honey Do list!:smilegrin:

Sthrasher38 - 9-2-2008 at 01:23 PM

Only have one kite?

tridude - 9-2-2008 at 01:30 PM

Yep, 2 on loan and just sold my 7m Pulse to a PKF member. Ill let him spread his good news!

Sthrasher38 - 9-2-2008 at 01:32 PM

You gotta get more kites! Are you going to NABX this april?

wexler - 9-2-2008 at 06:48 PM

I was flying the Blade with my dad the other day it is by far, the best handling 5 to 7 meter kite I have ever flown I thought I would never find a better kite than that peter lynn reactor i flew with Angus, until I flew that Blade. The thing that amazes me the most is its handling as a kite that big and those cross bridles.:o

Bladerunner - 9-2-2008 at 06:52 PM

Hey Wexler Welcome to the Forum. We just have to get your Grandpa online now.
Reviews on kites from 3 generations of the same family ! :cool2:

And YES, It looks like Tridude practicaly gave me the 7m Pulse so he will pick up the 8m P3 soon. :tumble:

wexler - 9-2-2008 at 07:47 PM

Maybe next time I visit him Ill show him how to get on the forum. Wont that be something.

Bladerunner - 9-2-2008 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wexler
Maybe next time I visit him Ill show him how to get on the forum. Wont that be something.

YES.... Not sure if your Dad told you but I think the 3 generations sharing this thing is just plain COOL !!! :cool:

acampbell - 10-2-2008 at 05:58 AM

Wexler, great to see you on board here. I'm sure you will have much to contribute.
Gang, watch this one. He's flown my Blade 4.9 and Reactor 8.3 with skill; it does not surprise me that he took to a Blade 6.5.

tridude - 10-2-2008 at 06:30 AM

Welcome Wex,

Hes got skillz indeed. I told your dad to tell you watch that 4m Ace when its over your head. She can get a bit lofty if the wind is up. If you like the 4m keep it, just be careful. Ill give your dad a great deal on it. Welcome and fly safe!

wexler - 10-2-2008 at 12:40 PM

Yes when I would pull the 6.5 Blade over my head on the non lifty setting it would pick me up about 2 maby once or twice 3 feet. There were a couple times my dad would jump 2 or 3 feet in the air. Me and my dad keep trying to come up with scenarios where we can sell some kites to get the blade 6.5, so far none of them work.:smilegrin:

BeamerBob - 11-2-2008 at 09:29 AM

Well, I flew the Blade again yesterday. I was way over powered. Winds were 12-14 mph with gusts hitting 20. Jumping in 10 mph winds is one thing, but being lofted in 20 mph gusts is totally another. Can't rest at the zenith. Can't make it quit pulling to the side and full brakes isn't quite enough to get it down through the power zone without some serious pull. I finally realized I wasn't the one in control and in theory, I'm the one with the brain. I should've gotten out the 4m Ace, but I had been off the ground enough without ever deciding to. So I went back to the old standard Beamer III 3m. Rest over head, go into the power zone and handle it. How many times have we said that you won't ever get tired of that first kite? My skills would let me fly it up to 25 mph or maybe a little higher now.

But you know I'm checking into how to get one of those blades calling my duffle bag home already. Anyone ever wonder why there isn't a long list of Blade IV's for sale?

EDIT: By the way, there were times that I had all fingers below the leader, but it didn't really help. I wonder if a kite that size should have longer handles for more travel on the brakes?

Sthrasher38 - 11-2-2008 at 05:34 PM

Longer handles help. But your fore arms will still burn trying to brake in the moiddle of the window. The only easyer way to land is at the edge.

tridude - 13-2-2008 at 05:58 AM

Are you taking pix this weekend at Amelia Is?

BeamerBob - 13-2-2008 at 06:50 AM

Yes, I will be flying both Aces, the Crossfire, and the Blade at the same time. I want pics of each kite and the group of them all staked out at the same time. I can't wait to go from kite to kite and back again in the same wind on the same day. That will really put things in perspective. I hope the wind is ok to turn the blade up a notch and actually TRY to jump instead of the lofting I got on Sunday. The beach is always a great place for pics of kites

acampbell - 13-2-2008 at 07:56 AM

Where is there enough space on Amelia to fly?. It always seemd like a small beach to me.

BeamerBob - 13-2-2008 at 08:09 AM

We are at the north tip of the island and it is wide open enough to fly for sure. If you look at the beach right where you drive straight in, it is very tight and narrow. North or south from there gives what I remember as a wide open beach, especially right by the pier. I just looked on google maps and confirmed what I thought. On that north point, it gets pretty wide and I should have it to myself.

acampbell - 13-2-2008 at 08:39 AM

Got it. Ft. Clinch State Park to the North. Looks like a good beach.

If you haven't yet- ttry Cumberland Is. sometime. Access by Ferry. Huge gorgeous and empty beaches. And the wild horses... Really a gem

BeamerBob - 13-2-2008 at 08:52 AM

We are setting a weekday aside for that. We tried once and could get there but the ferries were full coming back so we changed plans. I've heard it isn't to be missed.

Sthrasher38 - 13-2-2008 at 07:40 PM

Bob, You better get there early. I always have hopes of flying 2or three kites in a day also. But I end up getting tired after the 2nd one. and I always whant to fly before the wind dies then I am wiped out! Someone would have to pack them up for me.:lol: I hope you have a good day and get lots of flying in and some good pics to share.

BeamerBob - 14-2-2008 at 03:45 AM

When in St. Pete at New Years, I flew for 4 hours straight with 3 different kites. I taught 2 others to fly but once they were going I'd go get my kite back up. They had to make me leave to go eat dinner. I need to check tides but will go out early to maximize my opportunities if there is enough beach. Wexler can set up his own kite and fly mine too. Jared will want some 4 line time this trip so I will spend some time teaching him. I will set up the kites and just float (pun intended) from kite to kite for contrast.

speleopower - 14-2-2008 at 07:06 PM

I have to agree the Blade IV kites handle just as well as the Quadrifoil Competition kites and have pretty much the same amount of lift. Great kites. My favorite is for sure the 4.9 meters.

Later-Scott

strictlycarved - 14-2-2008 at 07:14 PM

im going to have to try a blade some day. everybody i have met so far are flying c and bow out here. sounds pretty intense.

5m1FF - 16-2-2008 at 06:16 PM

I absolutely love my 6.5 Blade IV. Its just a joy. Comes out every time i go out. Can launch in 4mph, have flown (and nearly shat myself) in 27mph steady wind.

At the high end it will pick you up and smack you down, but thats part of the buzz, and definitely the reason you HAVE to respect the kite.

My experience is around the 14-18mph wind range, in the medium or high lift setting is the most fun you can have with clothes on. If the wind is clean and steady, you can get static pendulum jumps to about 10-20ft easily (once you know the timing of your kite), and float down with the grace of a Swan Lake. I mostly static fly; and landboard, and for both this kite is awesome. I learnt to board with it, cause its just so steady and controlable, it'll just do what you tell it to.

Blade IV 6.5m is awesome. And in answer to one of the earlier posts, well worth the money. I payed £450 GBP ish for mine. On extreme lines, with handles. Possibly the best purchase ive ever made.

kiteNH - 16-2-2008 at 06:26 PM

It looks like the 4.9 and the 6.5 are the most popular choices. This thread is increasing my craving to try the famous Blade. If you can only have one size, which is the one to go for (note that I think I'll have to sell the Riot and possibly the Ace to finance this new kite so don't think I'd be doubling up no 5m kites)? :rolleyes:

Bladerunner - 16-2-2008 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kiteNH
If you can only have one size, which is the one to go for.
no 5m kites)? :rolleyes:

The 5m range is well covered by your 8m access ?
Looks to me like you need a low wind kite ?
What is the normal wind + use of this kites existance ?
I would say 6.5 or 8.5 . If you get a lot of low wind days. The 8.5 has a pretty good range.

tridude - 16-2-2008 at 09:42 PM

NH,

Whats your weight, and avg winds. I had a BIV 4.9 but at 185/90 lbs, the 6.5 better suits me. As Snowbird says, your 5m is covered. The 6.5 is an amazing kite. Cant go wrong with this one!

kiteNH - 17-2-2008 at 07:25 AM

I weigh in at about 150 lb. I'm still getting a feel for the average wind speeds. So far I'd say 5-15 seems pretty average. I live up hear in New England so "average" weather doesn't really exist. We just go from one extreme to the other around hear. I'm also near the coast so it depends on whether I'm down at beach or flying in fields.

I didn't realize that my Access covered the 5m range. I guess that must be about the low end of it's coverage fully trimmed. Would the 6.5m Blad have a lower end than my 8m Access?

According to Flexifoil's website the 4.9 covers 6-22 mph, the 6.5 from 5-19 mph and the 8.5 from 3-18 mph. I don't know how accurate those ratings are or what pilot size they are assuming.

I would be using the kite for static flying/jumping, an ATB in the spring and probably some lite wind snow kiting (although I'm really enjoying having the depower for that). The Access isn't a jumper so that is probably my primary interest for this kite.

I'm not real keen on the 8.5m because it's awfully expensive and I'd be a little bit nervous flying such a large kite with my level of experience. It seems like the 6.5 might be easier to keep up in the air on a light wind days because it should fly and turn a little faster. And being a light rider maybe I should still consider the 4.9. Cheapest of the bunch and probably the least likely to get me into trouble.

Bladerunner - 17-2-2008 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kiteNH  So far I'd say 5-15 seems pretty average. I didn't realize that my Access covered the 5m range.  I guess that must be about the low end of it's coverage fully trimmed.  Would the 6.5m Blad have a lower end than my 8m Access?  6.5 from 5-19 mph and the 8.5 from 3-18 mph.   It seems like the 6.5 might be easier to keep up in the air on a light wind days because it should fly and turn a little faster. 

Both the 6.5 and 8.5 seem to cover the winds you desire. If jumping + getting going in 5mph wind is your goal the 4.9 is less good a choice.

I'm guessing your access should start giving usable power at about 10 kts and should take you to the point that the 3m looks like a scarey option !
While the 4.9 Blade is a great kite for jumping it is the " Widow Maker " in the wrong hands or if things go wrong. It will lift you big time and then produce no float unless properly re-directed. Your LEAST SAFE option even though it's smaller. The extra canopy of the 6.5 or 8.5 is something you will really appreciate when jumping + trying to get going in low winds. Being lighter you may get away with the 6.5 ?
I have only flown the 4.9 and 8.5 !

5m1FF - 17-2-2008 at 11:49 AM

Well pointed out Snowbird - the parachute effect is really imporatnt when jumping big. I would suggest you go for one of the bigger two, even if it takes a few months to get - the saving money will be worth it, cause it could save you from some serious OW-ies.

Also, the triple-A adjuster in my 6.5 makes such an incredible difference it extends the wind range/power level lots.

GET A 6.5!!!!! hehe.

tridude - 17-2-2008 at 12:10 PM

Yep, the 6.5 even at 150lbs with the winds you described seems the better choice. The 6 to 19 mph wind range you mentioned for the 6.5 is accurate. 14 to 17 mph seems to be the sweet spot for me on the 6.5

kiteNH - 17-2-2008 at 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone. The 6.5 sounds like the best choice for me. I'll just need to save up a few extra bucks for it. :thumbup:

5m1FF - 17-2-2008 at 04:00 PM

Yeah, thats the way forward, saving pays off!

14-17mph is definitely the sweet spot! Take it easy, and fly hard!

barnes - 18-2-2008 at 03:48 PM

Got to fly a 6.8m Blade yesterday...AMAZING! What a solid kite. Never once did it luff. Jumps were easy enough, even in the weak 8mph winds (My Speed was paitenly awaiting more wind.)

So, I could sell my iPod, and I really don't play my Playstation much...

5m1FF - 18-2-2008 at 03:54 PM

I guess im not sleeping that well, so i could sell my bed. Ive got suitcases, so could sell my wardrobe and chest of draws. dont really need any furniture.

i could buy lots of blades after lots of selling. haha.

Sthrasher38 - 18-2-2008 at 05:32 PM

Davinch, How bout that 6.5 loaner? I would like to see 20ft. If ya do put me on for the bad boy!:borg:

SecondWind - 18-2-2008 at 06:23 PM

When the Pansh Ace and Comp 90 are back, I'll try to figure out another demo for you guys :yes:

Sthrasher38 - 18-2-2008 at 06:31 PM

Who has the Ace? I am ready to Send back the board if you like. My son won't though. Just can't get it for him right now. Sorry son. Play your Ps 3. Thats what he got. Send u2u with address. Thanks Davinch.:sniff:

BeamerBob - 21-2-2008 at 12:19 PM

Well, I'm back from a little vacation at the coast. I got hours of flying time. Like another said, the blade came out every time I went to fly. It is an absolute joy to fly. The first day at the beach, I had about a 3.2-3.8 mph wind. The kite would launch and fly without flaw. The wind would have to drop below 3 mph to cause trouble. It was really fun to pull a 6.5 blade 3' above the ground all the way across the wind window without causing bodily harm. The amazing thing about the Blade in the least lifty setting is how controllable and stable it is. You can take it to the edge of the window and just let it sit there. Want to edge it up 5'? Just a little nudge on the top handle, with no luffing, no drifting back into the window etc. Next day I'm in a little more wind, up to 7-9 mph. Time to make a aoa adjustment. I take it back to the middle setting and start working on some pendulum jumps. All this time, I thought I didn't know the magic of jumping. I try one and then another while learning the timing of it and realize that the size and lift of the blade are one thing but they are useless if you can't turn the kite fast enough to redirect from the 10-2 oclock position and then back again from the other side. This is the cool thing about the blade. It will turn almost as fast if not as fast as my 5m Crossfire and the sail stays tight while you are cranking it around. That day I'm sure I pulled off 50-60 jumps that were all around 2-4 feet off the ground. What a workout. It was like a solid 2 hours of chin ups. I tried the same technique with my 6m Ace later that day and found it has the lift but I couldn't just turn the kite at the edge and then have it react as quickly as I was used to on the redirect. The next day was the topper. I had 9-12 mph winds with gusts to 14. Another family was there flying a single line delta the grandad bought 35 years ago up in New England. I spoke and then went down the beach another 300'. They walked up as I was unpacking being curious about why a kite would need such a big bag. They were in awe as it unfolded and snapped taught in the wind. I sorted my lines and strapped in and then launched straight up the window. I scudded about 25 feet before it settled at the zenith. The son of the grandad said "wow, I bet that thing could almost lift you off the ground". Well you know there is only one way to respond to a statement like that. I say to myself "watch this" I pulled it left, then cut to the right and sent it hard to 2 oclock while running at that just right angle to the wind. I felt it pull and jumped and was WAY higher than ever before. I'll be conservative and say I was 10-12 feet high. Then just as the day before, with a now instinctive redirect, I floated down to the sand and landed on my feet. It was nirvana.

Like I said before, the lift by itself won't work safely if you can't control the direction of the kite. The true beauty of the Blade is how it has the power and lift to do whatever you want it to and the stability and quick turning that makes someone like me able to look like I really know what I'm doing. I said months ago that you would have to have quite a bit of experience to be able to appreciate the differences found in a Blade at around $800. I was wrong. Even Wexler (almost 13) could discern the nuances of the AOA settings and always wanted it set on the least lifty setting because it sped the kite up and handled more cleanly at the edge, along with somewhat reducing the grunt that his 90 pound frame doesn't appreciate so much. He was fine with this kite up to around 8 mph. This kite will find a way in to my quiver sooner or later. I will have one as soon as my toy account builds up enough to take the blow. I hope it happens soon because this one has to go home now. I hear it's been missed and can see why.

tridude - 21-2-2008 at 01:03 PM

Nice review Bob. We read alot of reviews some seem almost to good to be true but in this case, you have to experience it to believe it. Flexi have a PTPer (prime time player) with the 6.5. Fly it thru the weekend----Ive got H2O aerobics classes all day Sat and Sun so no flying here!

I was sort of missing the 6.5 until the 8m P3 showed up, thats another review!:thumbup: Glad your enjoying her! OBTW, welcome to the double digit lift club!

Sthrasher38 - 21-2-2008 at 02:28 PM

Yes!! Congrats on all the jumping Bob! It will give you a high you cannot get anywhere else. Wait til you hit 15-20 ft.In 15-18mph wind! You will feel like ya went 30!Be careful in gusty winds because when it does snath ya up which it will. when you own one, you'll want to see what it can do. It will Excuse the term: Make your go nutts shrivvel up. and you'll be shaking like a leaf from the adreniln!! Live to fly.:yes::D

barnes - 21-2-2008 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tridude
Ive got H2O aerobics classes all day Sat and Sun so no flying here!

Do you teach them? I used to do that!

Bob, awesome review!

Sthrasher38 - 21-2-2008 at 03:20 PM

Review? Quote:Well you know there is only one way to respond to a statement like that. I say to myself "watch this" end Quote. Iv'e done that! It's Love!!:thumbup: Way to go Bob!

acampbell - 21-2-2008 at 08:06 PM

Excelent review.
Now we just have to hook you up with an 8.5m Blade and see what you can get out of that.

BeamerBob - 22-2-2008 at 03:37 AM

I wonder how well the bigger kite retains its turning ability. I also wonder if that would just be too much kite to fly static. It would be interesting to get to try one out. The 6.5 was pretty optimal so the big boy might have the same lift in lower winds. The range of managability would be much narrower I imagine.

tridude - 22-2-2008 at 08:49 PM

Im sure the series IV 8.5 flies nice. I had the BIII 8.5. It was rewarding to fly but also alot of work. Great calorie burning kite! The 6.5 has been easier on the ole body (50 in June)!

BeamerBob - 23-2-2008 at 07:24 AM

I'm sure the 8.5 is a well designed highly refined kite just like the 6.5, but the shear size of it would have to make it less optimal for my size and variable wind speeds. The 6.5 is no small kite. It is plenty of power for me right now, At least till I start doing those reverse backloops to turn my buggy around. Speaking of calorie burner, I lost an inch off my waist over the 4 days at the beach. I'm sure the chinups I was doing with the Blade played no small part in the reduction.

Deadhead - 23-2-2008 at 07:38 AM

Bob, so you're suggesting a Blade 6.5 as a weight loss plan?? Have to admit, it would certainly beat going to the gym:singing:

BeamerBob - 23-2-2008 at 07:54 AM

You would be amazed at the justifications I can come up with for a new kite. That inch went somewhere. Since I was so active, I didn't eat much more than 3 meals and then the increase in strenuous activity did the trick. I just need about 3 more weeks of kiting at the beach and I'm there!

acampbell - 23-2-2008 at 10:40 AM

Kite Fitness; I like it. Let's put a Blade 6.5 in Richard Simmons' hands and watch. Weeeeee.

Sthrasher38 - 23-2-2008 at 01:41 PM

:lol::lol::thumbup:

speleopower - 27-2-2008 at 04:35 PM

If the Blade 8.5 handles like a Quadrifoil Comp XXXL 8 meter then it would be a dream kite. The XXXL turns on a dime and if your good you can actually stall it out and do 4 point rolls with it 1/2 the way up the window in front of you (in light wind of course).

I'm looking forward to getting a Blade IV 8 meter. I'm just not thrilled with the dang mesh!

Scott

Blade

wexler - 5-3-2008 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
I say to myself "watch this" I pulled it left, then cut to the right and sent it hard to 2 oclock while running at that just right angle to the wind. I felt it pull and jumped and was WAY higher than ever before. I'll be conservative and say I was 10-12 feet high. Then just as the day before, with a now instinctive redirect, I floated down to the sand and landed on my feet. It was nirvana.

Like I said before, the lift by itself won't work safely if you can't control the direction of the kite. The true beauty of the Blade is how it has the power and lift to do whatever you want it to and the stability and quick turning that makes someone like me able to look like I really know what I'm doing. I said months ago that you would have to have quite a bit of experience to be able to appreciate the differences found in a Blade at around $800. I was wrong. Even Wexler (almost 13) could discern the nuances of the AOA settings and always wanted it set on the least lifty setting because it sped the kite up and handled more cleanly at the edge, along with somewhat reducing the grunt that his 90 pound frame doesn't appreciate so much. He was fine with this kite up to around 8 mph. This kite will find a way in to my quiver sooner or later. I will have one as soon as my toy account builds up enough to take the blow. I hope it happens soon because this one has to go home now. I hear it's been missed and can see why.

When my dad pulled off this mega jump I had just started to walk back to the camper to grab the the beamer and pro foil. I turned around to watch my dad for a sec, he pulls the kite hard left and then redirected it right and he ran as fast as he could, I mean he was booking it. The I saw him go about 12 14 ft in the air... I was awed and so was the onlooking family. I heard one of the guys say "did you see that, we need to get one of those.":o

The Blade is absolutely the best kite I have ever flown. It does not act like a 6.5m should, it acts like a 4m. It is a very stable kite, at one time I yelled to my dad this kite is so stable I could pull it to the side or to the zenith and hold both handles in one hand without it diving into the ground. I actually was able to eat a bag of Cheetos while flying it. So if you are looking for a kite to add to your quiver I recommend the Blade 6.5m.:yes::thumbup:

tridude - 5-3-2008 at 07:48 PM

"I actually was able to eat a bag of Cheetos while flying it."

Now thats skillz................ Wex, you should sell the rights to Flexi to use that comment.........

BeamerBob - 6-3-2008 at 04:00 AM

That is a pretty heavy comment when you think about it. 12 year old boy. 85 lbs. 6.5m Flexi Blade. and a bag of Cheetos. He was pretty smitten with the kite when I figured out the bridle settings that same day. He really figured it all out on the low lift setting and always wanted it set there after.

BeamerBob - 6-3-2008 at 04:14 AM

Hey thats a good idea tridude.:smilegrin:
im sorry I accedentally typed this on my dads this is wexler.

[Edited on 3-6-2008 by BeamerBob]

wexler - 6-3-2008 at 04:21 AM

tridude how muchdo you think they would pay for it.:saint:

USA_Eli_A - 6-3-2008 at 12:55 PM

if anyone get Richard Simons to fly a kite...please film it...that'd be hot, hot pink spandex with tube top on...sliding along whilst screaming and flying

wexler - 6-3-2008 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell
Excelent review.
Now we just have to hook you up with an 8.5m Blade and see what you can get out of that.

I have never flown an 8.5 is it better than the 6.5.

tridude - 12-3-2008 at 04:49 AM

Did Angus demo and when is it due in?

acampbell - 12-3-2008 at 05:09 AM

Not this last weekend but will fly this weekend and forward on to Bobby after that no mattter what. I can't see him suffer like that waiting.

BeamerBob - 12-3-2008 at 12:58 PM

This has to be one of the most anticipated kite purchases in awhile. I'm getting U2U's asking when I'm going to get it and where is it and such. I have company coming in that want to see the Blade on Easter weekend so that will be great to get it in next week. Angus has looked out for me since the day I bought the Beamer. He hadn't flown a 6.5 Blade before so I wanted him to give it a go to know what I was talking about. I don't think I could stand a pass the blade program though.

Sthrasher38 - 12-3-2008 at 05:44 PM

Oh c'mon Bob. You know we all want to try it too. Did you ever get a try at the 4.9 Davinch sent out? I have got a chance to try 3 different items from Davinch so far. Thanks Davinch. Is there a 4th? I'm ready. And please let us know how the Ace is. I am curious. Ya know that kite went through alot of hands and had a long trip all over the place. If it made it through still in good shape I think Pansh should get some credit for that. It is not all that bad imo. If it took on all of us and made it home safe. That alone says something.

BeamerBob - 12-3-2008 at 06:35 PM

I was originally on the list but then was going to fly Angus's 4.9 but the wind didn't really blow that day. And planned to fly Tridudes the same day but he couldn't make it. All those opportunities prompted me to take my name off the list. So I've never flown a 4.9 except for retrieving Wexler that day at tybee island. It was moving him down the beach a little at a time and it was time to pack up. I'll share my blade face to face but couldn't do without it for months on end. I'm starting to let myself get excited now.

Sthrasher38 - 12-3-2008 at 06:46 PM

You should be! If I was getting a new Blade I would have the mail mans #number! And I can't let any of my kites out of my site for more than a day anyway. I loved the 4.9 I can only imagine the fun your going to have with the 6.5! It's a dream kite imo.:thumbup: Excited for ya.

BeamerBob - 27-3-2008 at 02:49 AM

I got to fly it in smooth winds about 6-7 mph. acampbell is right. The kite will pivot on the power bridle that it is turning around. I will get some video week after next to illustrate how it does and since angus is loaning me most of his quiver, I'll be able to compare the 4.9 with the 6.5. The blade would've been fine in a buggy yesterday in the winds I had. I couldn't get it to jump even in the middle bridle setting.

tridude - 27-3-2008 at 05:12 AM

Once she beds in, woohoo! So Angus, how did the 6.5 work in the buggy?

acampbell - 27-3-2008 at 08:43 AM

I had a light wind day with it and it was sweet. Because of the light weight for it size and the tight turning, it was easy to "fly it like you stole it", as you like to say. I squeezed out a max of 23 mph on the GPs in winds of 5-8, usually 7 mph.

BeamerBob - 27-3-2008 at 08:52 AM

I thought 2.5X the windspeed was good in a buggy. You were over that if not 3X. How do you think it fits in with your PL 8.3 as a light wind machine? (Maybe tough without a head to head matchup) I guess it isn't fair to compare 8.3m to 6.5m but the comparo is interesting since they are very different kite designs. Maybe you will have light enough winds at NABX to try an 8.5 as well.

Sthrasher38 - 27-3-2008 at 03:26 PM

Let's hope not! I would like to have a steady 12-16 every day I am there. But I'm not that lucky so I'll take what I can get. No matter what when Dlish shows up the wind will be gone.:lol: (just kidding Dlish)

BeamerBob - 19-9-2008 at 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SCREWYFITS
What's up BB..

Well... the kite gains turning speed when the knot is moved in (so more pig tail hanging)... funny thing, DAKITEZ got a 6.5m Midnight to play with and then I was hooked and ordered one (a Rasta but had to settle for Petrol)... The midnight came on the first knot and the petrol on the second knot (middle knot)... weird that they ship with dif settings...

I prefer the middle knot when in bug setting, as its sportier and has speedy turns... in lift setting thy kite turns well enough on the powers alone...

Lower wind I would put it on the 3rd knot (3rd knot in) so you can keep it moving and create apparent...

FUN FUN FUN Kite!!!

Thanks Screwy. Petrol was my first choice with rasta second. So if you were in higher winds, would there be an advantage of letting the crossbridles out to calm things down? Is there ever a time when you would want to slow the turns down? I have only had 3-4 hours with it in the buggy in consistent enough winds to evaluate anything. I was at ease using it in the 9 mph winds I had those days. Have you found that the crossover settings affect lift at all? Why do you think you like the middle setting when in the buggy? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm an analytical and like to figure out how things fit together for cause and affect. I'll make my own conclusions with some wind blowing over my own kite. It's supposed to blow at 13 today but that might be Crossfire II territory at least at first.

SCREWYFITS - 19-9-2008 at 05:22 AM

Quote:

So if you were in higher winds, would there be an advantage of letting the crossbridles out to calm things down? Is there ever a time when you would want to slow the turns down?

The only advantage of letting the bridals out and calming anything down is if it turned too quick... (big jumps and more than one redirect)
The only time these crossovers work (pull the tips) is when you pull a handle back... they stay loose (slack)

otherwise... when you move a knot, it either reacts sooner (when you start to pull) or takes a larger pull to get it too react...

Quote:

Have you found that the crossover settings affect lift at all?

No... other than turn speed to generate lift...:thumbup::D

Quote:

Why do you think you like the middle setting when in the buggy?

Works really well for me, allows me to work the kite or park it...

Quote:

It's supposed to blow at 13 today but that might be Crossfire II territory at least at first.

Not me... The Blade... If I had a 8.5m that would be my preference for a semi to clean 13...:saint:

Trust this kite more its absolutely predictable, start on a lower lift setting if you feel more comfy... The Blade IV is no where near as snatchy as the III so that side is not a worry... The Crossfire II will warm and stretch the muscles and get the confidence up though... :ticking:

This is the first kite out of my bag religiously... It is fantastic... It's going on a Mex cruse (along with a 3m legend, 4 her) with my wife and I next week... :cool:

Enjoy and be safe as always...:singing:

Sthrasher38 - 19-9-2008 at 11:22 AM

Screwy, Have a good time on your trip. Keep ripping it up on the Blade! I have only had a kite in the air once since our meeting:thumbdown: Working my :moon:Off. Hope to see ya when you get back.

SecondWind - 19-9-2008 at 11:37 AM

Sthrasher - The Ace looked good when it made it back to me :thumbup:

No plans for another demo yet - maybe once I get settled on Guam we can figure something out.

I like all the Blade IVs :yes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sthrasher38
Oh c'mon Bob. You know we all want to try it too. Did you ever get a try at the 4.9 Davinch sent out? I have got a chance to try 3 different items from Davinch so far. Thanks Davinch. Is there a 4th? I'm ready. And please let us know how the Ace is. I am curious. Ya know that kite went through alot of hands and had a long trip all over the place. If it made it through still in good shape I think Pansh should get some credit for that. It is not all that bad imo. If it took on all of us and made it home safe. That alone says something.

BladeIVs.jpg - 201kB

Sthrasher38 - 19-9-2008 at 11:40 AM

Very nice line up! Congrats on the big move. Wish ya the best!

BeamerBob - 19-9-2008 at 08:13 PM

Thanks for feeding my hunger for info Screwy. I'll try to change the bridle around next blade day I have. I really wanted to spend time with the CF II today since I got my bridles adjusted. I think I'm finally good enough to make that baby work for me. I wasn't perfect but got to where I could tell when she wanted to fold up. Sometimes the wind was just horrible though.

SCREWYFITS - 28-9-2008 at 08:31 PM

I'm Back,
Tan as heck...
Not much kite time... a lil at Mazatlon, about an hour and a half... probably 6-8 steady with locals wanting to sell you everything every 5 min... funny as heck...
BB you get a chance to check out the Blade and it wonderful adjustments?
Sthrasher, miss ya man lets get out and have some air time... hows DAKITEZ? I'll call him tomorrow...
DaVinch, is that your Blade army? JEALOUS!!! that looks so nice...

harddrive8 - 28-9-2008 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaVinch
Sthrasher - The Ace looked good when it made it back to me :thumbup:

No plans for another demo yet - maybe once I get settled on Guam we can figure something out.

I like all the Blade IVs :yes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sthrasher38

Showoff! :flaming: j/k

You have a nice collection of Blades. Wish I had a set similar to yours... Just in the Rasta colors. :yes:

Pages:  1