Power Kite Forum

Ace 12m

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 06:56 PM

Can you say monster? Not to good at reviews but here is my opinion. This thing has more material than a three man tent! It is the biggest kite I have ever flown and dont have anything to compare it to. but I tell ya what once this baby gets set in motion you go.The wind was kinda weird today around 8-10 mph I only flew static 20ft scudds as long as you could hang on! pretty lifty but not snatchy really smooth seemed to be nice an floaty. I got a couple jumps nothing major. It flew in real low wind also. I was suprised how stable it was very little wing collapse at all. Not very brake responsive It took all I had just to turn the beast. Mave have needed a little adjusting there. In the bug you would really need a harness or else your arms would fall off in about 3 passes. Beautyful in the air, flies nice, very strong, Nice kite IMO.

Baluk - 8-2-2008 at 08:16 PM

Interesting. I'd really love to try this beast. I really would. Don't think I'd want to purchase it myself though! I've got my 10.5m beast already.

Thanks for the short but nice review:moon:

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 08:23 PM

It's funny you are first to reply. Your ears must have been burning today. When I was flying today with dlish I had told him. Do you know of that young guy on the forum named Baluk? I think he would like this kite he has flown alot of bigger kites. I told him of your phantom. You most likely would like to try. But man is it a beast to turn! I think you have E.S.P. lol.

Baluk - 8-2-2008 at 08:26 PM

Haha. okay coincidence? I have ESP?

I'M A FREAKIN MAGICIAN!! aha

www.balukmagic.com

:moon:

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 08:32 PM

I love magic!

Baluk - 8-2-2008 at 08:37 PM

You're right though. Pass the Pansh has a new kite in the dish, no?:thumbup:

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 08:42 PM

Yes 12m is new dlish89 is a guy I fly with. was that a joke?

Baluk - 8-2-2008 at 08:44 PM

Was your comment a joke? lol

In the dish.. as in.. will you be putting the Pansh Ace 12m in the Pass the Pansh Program?

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 08:46 PM

Not my kite. its dlishes dish.

Baluk - 8-2-2008 at 08:48 PM

Ahh.. whoops. He's the one with the billion Pansh's then?

Either way, he should donate !

Sthrasher38 - 8-2-2008 at 08:52 PM

Yes. Can't hurt to ask. What wind range would you start with in a kite of this size? I ask because Ido not have much experience with these big boys.And I would like to try it again in more wind but I dont want to float away.

Baluk - 8-2-2008 at 08:57 PM

Not sure to be honest - because of a few things. I lost 25 pounds in the last couple months so that and a slight hiatus because of my broken wrist a while back and school exams now (just finnished them last week).... I havent had much time to hone in on my new weight and see what winds I need to accommodate myself that is much closer to a six pack (yet still Far FAR away, lol) than it ever was, aha.

So honestly, not sure.. plus I dunno how much wind is needed to hold up 12m of sail and how much is too much power!

DAKITEZ - 10-2-2008 at 12:08 AM

I guess its time for dlish to give the dish. I talked to sthrasher about this already, but after I got home I realized the handles that came with the 12m were 2 inches longer than the handles we were flying with. I'm sure that would of helped us turn better. I must say I didn't really think these larger kites (5m +) were for me, but after the flight yesterday I'm in love. that was the best time I had flying to date. My first real scuds not butt scuds. The kite was super stable and tons of power. It was just really smooth and predictable. It didn't move fast so you had some time to react and you knew once it made the turn and started back through the window you were going for a ride. Like sthrasher said the winds were about 8 -10 mph and that kite had a ton of power. I originally thought that would be its range (very small), but I honestly think it could be flown in 6 - 12 mph maybe alittle more, unless your sthrasher you will take it out in 20 mph + . I don't know how well of a buggy kite it will be since we didn't try to buggy with it yesterday, plus I can't buggy worth a darn anyway yet, so you might be waiting awhile to get that answer. This kite will definately be added to my quiver.

Bladerunner - 10-2-2008 at 10:08 AM

Darn, I'm embarassed that I forget the fellows name that had his 12 Blaze at SOBB. ( Klester ? ) He seems to have drifted away after being sidelined this winter.

It sounds like you will be getting more range out of the ace than the blaze offered. He was very happy with the 12m Blaze for low wind and showed us all it works !

DAKITEZ - 10-2-2008 at 10:50 AM

I think his name was something like khooke, but I don't remember either. Like you said I think he got injured.

USA_Eli_A - 10-2-2008 at 11:48 AM

Baluk, Seaside need a magic shop, you should move here and kite every min you're not running your shop. I can show you 'top secret kiter parking',

I know a pansh rep in seattle that's giving killer deals, he brought in a few samples, the Blazes look wild.

with huge kites you gotta try these handles!!!
You'll get way more out of the big kites.

KBSSpowerhandles.jpg - 46kB

Bladerunner - 10-2-2008 at 11:49 AM

YES Khooke .
Nice guy with a lot experience brought over from Great Britian. I hope he's O.K.
I agree about the Blaze look good! Possibly my favorite graphics ?

Sthrasher38 - 10-2-2008 at 01:59 PM

Yes, I just got a 3m Blaze. Black with orange flames it is so cool looking in the air!! And fast.

wexler - 10-2-2008 at 02:01 PM

the biggest ace I have flown is a 6 m. One time my dad was holding my belt loop so it wouldn't carry me away and so my pant button shot off. that is how hard it pulled.

barnes - 11-2-2008 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by USA_Eli_A
Baluk, Seaside need a magic shop, you should move here and kite every min you're not running your shop. I can show you 'top secret kiter parking',

I know a pansh rep in seattle that's giving killer deals, he brought in a few samples, the Blazes look wild.

Looks like a DIY project to me!

Keep NPW from seeing this thread, he dosen't need to know. He'll kill himself taking it out in 20mph winds with it!

Seriously though, 12m Ace sounds like the perfect kite to convert to depower. After meeting a bunch of guys from Ithica NY who modify all of their kites (PKD Century Depower, Blade 10.5 Depower) I'm inspired to attempt something like that!

BeamerBob - 12-2-2008 at 03:47 AM

Quote:

Does it bother handling to cut your braking power in half to get double the throw? In those high winds Sunday, the Blade could've used more throw in the brakes, but I'm not sure I would want to have to apply more pressure to get them.

tridude - 12-2-2008 at 06:52 AM

Could you explain that last post Bob? Remember, I use analogies like the "hand ot the window" going down the interstate to explain depower:D

BeamerBob - 12-2-2008 at 07:19 AM

If the action of pulling the brake line runs through a pulley, the force required to pull the brake line doubles, plus the added resistance of the pulley, while the amount of line pulled doubles. The single pulley multiplies the action by 2 but divides the power by 2. Another way to look at it is that the kite has twice the leverage against the brake side of the handle (with a pulley) than a direct link. So, the pulley lets you pull more line in with a brake action but increases your effort to do so. You could have the same affect as the pulley by having a longer handle. In short, there is no free lunch when it comes to energy.

My question is "is the extra line taken in by a brake action with the pulley worth the extra effort to do so". Or more importantly, can a regular guy be as effective with his brakes if the required force is doubled.

Clear as mud now?:saint:

Baluk - 12-2-2008 at 07:21 AM

I think he means that 'cause there is a pulley, the amount of force of leverage needed to pull the break is more than without the pully.

Think about it as if you had a bag of licorice and you put one of the licorice candy string things through an ear pearcing and you tried to pull on the candy back and forth. The resistical pressure of the atmospheric bering withheld upon the neumatic forces of kinetic forthcoming quadruples less the amount of the base weight of the licorice candy package plus half the weight of the earing that use to be in the ear.

Easily seen by: f = [rP^g*v(4)]-b+e/2
That should probably clear things up.

Baluk - 12-2-2008 at 07:22 AM

oops he answered first. I still think my anology is better to understand though.

BeamerBob - 12-2-2008 at 07:23 AM

Wow, I wish I coulda said it as well as you Baluk!:spin:

Baluk - 12-2-2008 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
Wow, I wish I coulda said it as well as you Baluk!:spin:

It's just teh way I am:spin:

tridude - 12-2-2008 at 03:17 PM

Understand both analogies although Im having a harder time with Marks:tumble: I saw the sig quote, since I said that on another forum there seems to be a gag order out on me.......oh well, it is what it is............:duh:

BeamerBob - 12-2-2008 at 07:25 PM

Sorry, no conspiracy. You told me that on the phone.:borg:

xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX - 13-2-2008 at 12:44 PM

Kamikuza - 9-3-2010 at 10:58 PM

Quote:

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?action=attachme...

I feel a DIY coming on ... what rating are those pulleys?

WIllardTheGrey - 10-3-2010 at 12:08 AM

I have flown BigSiler's 12.5 Blaze on the KBSS pulley handles and on Ozone handles, the pulley ones make life much easer. It helps to move your hands down towards the middle of the handles, trying to pull on the breaks form the top just kills your wrist.

bigkid - 10-3-2010 at 12:21 AM

If you use a long strop with the power handles, and harness it is a lot of fun. Not sure the Ace makes a good depower, but the Blaze does, I have done a few with not much effort.
The kite can be a spanker if the wind gets gusty:yes:

Kamikuza - 10-3-2010 at 12:51 AM

Found a webpage for the handles - might just be cheaper to buy them ... anyone have a price on them?

Bladerunner - 10-3-2010 at 07:52 AM

Jellis is the only one I know who makes them . U2U him or try him through KBSS

Maybe he can just send you the rig to put on your own handles for shipping purposes?

Saw a set of Jon's handles get eaten by a snowmobile last outing. The fact they are PVC may have saved the guys machine ?

herc - 10-3-2010 at 11:24 AM

low wind kite surfing (approx 10 knots) with a panch ace 12:

http://vimeo.com/5613118

Kamikuza - 10-3-2010 at 06:28 PM

"At 12knots you are very over-powered" :eekdrull: so a small windrange then :lol: Nice vid :thumbup: and that's a nice Mille too :yes:

xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX - 14-3-2010 at 03:42 PM