Power Kite Forum

Vision?

Chefmini - 7-7-2008 at 05:37 AM

I have not kitesurfed yet, Doing much research, learning how to handle a kite, and getting some $ saved for gear. While im in beginner stage, would like to get all my ducks in a row. have a question concerning vision. Mine sucks! Have progressive lenses, cannot wear contacts. Have a pair of Costa Del mars. Great sunglasses, however do not float.
Anybody have a similar situation, and what do you do about it?
Im a little older than most of the kitesurfers I see out and their vision isnt going yet. Im starting out late. Better late than never:tumble:

PHREERIDER - 7-7-2008 at 07:49 AM

good day chef,

i have worn contacts for all water sessions except for one which was an impromptu out and back on a new setup.

eyewear on the water is challenging. they will come off, if your a beginner they will come alot. the chances of lossing them are very high.

think goggle-like set up. comfort, firmly banded on. dedicate a pair cheap plastic lens and some what durable, flexible frame. leash to your vest/harness at first..drop the leash after repeated success.

OR fly with out if you can.

get this right or it will distract you.

you need to be able to swim/crash with this set up and it not fail. GET IN THE WATER AND TEST FOR CONFIDENCE.....ALOT

go to a cable park, ride and test it out it will give real water contact results.

acampbell - 7-7-2008 at 09:16 AM

RX Goggles here...

http://www.murrays.com/barz/Rx_barz.html

I wear Barz sunglasses with the little 2.0 reader lenses in the lower corner. Lets me work a larkshead knot without switching to my reading glasses. My arms are not long enough for my aging eyes!

Chefmini - 7-7-2008 at 01:50 PM

Golden and Angus, Thank you for the Tips. The RX goggles look like the way to go!
Thanks again.

speleopower - 8-7-2008 at 03:21 PM

There is a guy in my area who is in his mid 70's and kitesurfs. Better late than never!

Scott

Bladerunner - 9-7-2008 at 08:50 AM

My Sister has a set of prescription swim goggles ?

Chefmini - 17-7-2008 at 05:12 AM

Picked up a pair of Surf Shades. going to get my prescription put in.
Surfshadesusa.com
Will give you a review when I get started.
Thank you for all the input.