Power Kite Forum

first time kiteboarding

coppertop31 - 17-7-2008 at 08:32 AM

I was wondering if I get your guys' opinion on whether kiteboarding is easier to learn on an inflatable or not (vs. a Flysurfer)? I got a flysurfer speed2 10m but I'm wondering if it would be easier to learn to board on the water with an inflatable (easier relaunch?)?

The local company offering instruction says that you can put the lesson money toward a kite and board package... Their boards include:
Ocean Rodeo Zen 123
Ocean Rodeo Mako 134 (add $49) SOLD OUT
Ocean Rodeo Zen 135
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150 (add $49) span>
Liquid Force Proof 151 w/ OR Pads and Straps
Liquid Force Recoil 127 w/ OR Pads and Straps (add $49)
Any of those good for someone that is 140lbs/63.5kg?
Kites they are offering include:
7m Ocean Rodeo One
7M Best Bularoo
9m Ocean Rodeo One
10m Best Bularoo (add $50)
13m Best Bularoo (add $100) SOLD OUT
14m Ocean Rodeo Rise w/ 2008 Bridle (add $150) SOLD OUT

The package is $999 USD and then they take off $230 if you do the lessons which I was going to do to get into boarding. Just looking to get your guys' thoughts/comments, since I haven't taken my Flysurfer to the water yet I don't know how well the relaunch works compared to an inflatable but I imagine I'll probably be landing the kite in the water a bit learning how to kite....

Bladerunner - 17-7-2008 at 08:59 AM

How many lessons ? Typical is 3 lessons or 6 hours. You will pay $800 plus just for them so it seems a good deal ? Is the instructor IKO or PASA certified ? I have found that jet ski assisted lessons are best. Specially if you are learning in deep water.
Are these new or used kites + boards ? The Mako is a good board but the best size is sold. I'm not experienced enough to comment more on boards. The 9m One kite or the 10m Bularoo are both a good if you need to start out with just one kite.
That said the 7's may compliment your 10m Speed a bit better.

The Speed is a very twitchy kite that doesn't like to sit still. It's high aspect make it a bit tougher to relaunch as well. It's a GREAT kite but not so much for learning. Pulse and Pulse II are more beginner friendly + relaunch better. Peter Lynn arcs have a great auto zenith feature making them a good learning twin skin.

I think that when learning one way an lei may be better is once you crash you don't have to get all stressed about not taking on water + relaunching before the kite deflates.

I would lean towards the 7's if you have pretty high winds where you are learning. Then move to the Speed once you are comfortable getting into your board and getting started.

I'm not sure what you paid for the Speed but it should sell for a decent price ?

coppertop31 - 17-7-2008 at 09:34 AM

well I don't plan on selling my speed2 any time soon, im having a blast with it on land! As for the lesson, the instructor(s) are PASA certified and include the following for $230:

People come great distances to take a shallow water lesson with us.
The shallow water lesson goes over everything needed to kite safely and successfully. Having this lesson with us gives you the freedom to kite miles with the security of touching firm sand beneath you the whole time. In this lesson you will learn:

* -Body Dragging
* -Up-wind Body Dragging
* -Water Relaunching
* -Safety Systems
* -Self Rescue
* -Beginning Board Skills

Lessons are one on one, unless you request otherwise. Also the lesson cost can be directly credited to the purchase of a 2008 kite and board

Unfortunately it doesn't say how long the lesson is but I guess that would depend on how fast you learn? I may have to just fly my speed2 near the ocean and let it down in the water and then attempt to relaunch to see if I can get it back up in the air again

It looks like they sell the "Ocean Rodeo Mako 134 Pro" for 699$, If I'm going to be spending that much on a board it probably would be best to do the package deal and get a kite to boot!

DenisLaMenace - 17-7-2008 at 09:36 AM

bladerunner,

He paid 750 for a 10m Speed2 (yes V2 not V1) with FDS from one of my local friend here.

coppertop31 ,

Stick with Flysurfer !! Long term it costs less. If you sell it, let me know. You will have more fun with FS. Your Speed2 10m is equivalent in term of power to a LEI of 12 size !!! Dont forget that.

Yes I sold some of my FS kites for buying LEI to go on the water, but I always have some regrets. I should have kept them, but now may be I buy a P4.

Water relaunch depends on the kite, but I have more facility to reverse launch my Silverrrow2 15m, than my Best Nemesis 12m. It all depends on the tube.

I really like my Cabrinha Revolver 9m for ease of use. This one much better than the Speed2 for sure, but nothing beats a Pulse (my other regret)

I tough switching to LEI would facilitate my learning curve on the water. Well it did or not, I dont know, because I have used both and now I have progressed well enough to be very happy. I have about 20 sessions on the water, and I go where I want, I now started waves, I jump, I miss my landings sometimes but it's fun :-) Most of the time I am kiting with the SA2 15m (my preferred baby).

With FS you may sink the kite once or twice, and loose your whole afternoon, but with a LEI, you may do an inversion, blow-out a bladder, they are more fragile.... or not have enough wind :(

I did inverse my Best 12m after crashing a jump the other day. Dont think a FS would do that. But then you can get a bow tie.

Pros and cons for each type. Don't change just for changing. Dont do like me, and swapping equipment all the time. It costs a lot more money to do that.

You will progress faster if you stick with one type of equipment.

Of course, wasting time to relaunch is not fun, but I dont think it's the biggest factor. You will only spend 2 days on the water crashing your kite on water start and falling, after that you should have enough control not to do it anymore or rarely.

Make sure you go with a board that gives you enough float to get your water start, and go upwind easy.

I started with a Litewave 169x43 (used twice) but found too big not fun

Then a Spleene RIP 138x44. Wide enough but much more agile. IMO a good size to learn with.

Then I sold it, and I bought the RIP 134x40. This board is awesome. Floats enough but short, and very maneuverable. My favorite for most conditions in 12 knots. Then below I use the Door59.

Don't go with a Mako, or Zen. Boards for advanced skills....
Liquid force 151 would be better, but they are apparently heavy. They cost cheap and resell fast but cheap.

LF 127 too short.

Why dont you check for a used board on ikitesurf. Tons of them.

The only thing a LEI kite will give you is a sensation of security because it floats, but this is just a sensation. FS kites are more secure. They dont break. You can always activate FDS and 0% power remain. You can pack the kite in a self rescue. Just ware a life vest if you go deep water.

A LEI kite structure remain when security is activated, and can still pull while on the water.

So I think I should stick with FS but I will not sell my LEI because I would loose too much on these 2008 models. So I keep saving to buy more FS.

Kiting is a life style which is costly. :cool:

DenisLaMenace - 17-7-2008 at 09:40 AM

You have shallow water, stick with FS !!!

>> "Ocean Rodeo Mako 134 Pro" for 699$,

If you are willing to spend so much, then go with a Spleene

powerzone - 17-7-2008 at 10:51 AM

Nick...don't be indocrinated by the pushy local foil-haters....

mind you , your 10m Speed2 is very aggressive for a 1st kite... perhaps a Pulse would have been a better 1st kite for you.... buy the 13m Pulse from Justin and landboard for awhile to get confidence.

hitting the water with no real experience is asking for trouble.

coppertop31 - 17-7-2008 at 11:15 AM

John, is the 13m Pulse local Justin or someone on here? How much is he selling it for? I'm starting to get a good feel for my speed2, I haven't had it really fly over my head since that first day I took it out (been remembering to keep that bar in). I've gotten some jumps in also, don't really have the technique down but with enough flying the kite across over head and moving around I can get up in the air if there's enough wind.
It looks like your selling a pulse 13m as well......

jump.JPG - 13kB

powerzone - 17-7-2008 at 11:41 AM

the 13m Pulse1 is Justin's... he is selling it for $700. i listed it on here for him.

as far as foil-haters.... i'm not naming any names.....its too obvious here who is who....

coppertop31 - 17-7-2008 at 11:48 AM

Do you know if it has FDS? I don't think you gave me Justins number, If I remember correctly he was the one that rode with you out to bender that day I followed you out there?

powerzone - 17-7-2008 at 12:10 PM

yes, the Pulse1 13m is stock with FDS. you've met him afew times at Zuanich and at Bender. his kite is in our Gallery under landboarding etc..

i'll email you his phone #.

DenisLaMenace - 17-7-2008 at 12:20 PM

coppertop,

Pulse1 have factory FDS

If you are driving distance from Powerzone shop, why not sticking with FS, and supporting your local shop.

If there is a Flysurfer shop, there should be Flysurfers riders ???

So many FS riders in the US who ride alone :(

Here I have managed to meet 3-4 kiters who own FS equipment. It's always fun to ride with them. You get to share ideas, and advises.

Maybe when the P4 is out, there will be more....

coppertop31 - 17-7-2008 at 12:36 PM

Well what prompted my post was I was thinking about getting into boarding on the water some day down the road and was checking into lessons and just wanted to see if it was worth it to use the discount they offer toward equipment they sell... As powerzone said though, I need to spend more time with my kite first....

leebrianh - 17-7-2008 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by buzz
coppertop31 ,

Stick with Flysurfer .......

Very well said :thumbup:

DenisLaMenace - 17-7-2008 at 12:51 PM

if there is plenty of space and shallow water (~ 3'), nothing prevents you from flying your kite in the water.

You'll see it's fun just flying in the water and get dragged.

Just make sure you do it safe, far enough from the shore and people to avoid any accident and away from where the kiters just come and leave the shore. they wont like you if you practice just there.

Then you'll see when you're ready to go next step: fly your kite without looking at it, and know (feel) where it is.

Then have at least a 3h lesson to learn the whole security aspect, and right body drag technique .. before you go body drag in deeper water

If you know how to fly and feel your kite , your lesson will be much shorter. I only took a 3h IKO class last year, but I had been snowkiting 2 seasons, and landboarding a half summer. In 3 hours, we covered security, body drag, and water start. Then I did the rest by myself.