Power Kite Forum

DIRECTIONAOL BOARD

kitesurfer - 9-12-2008 at 04:42 AM

Anyone use a directional board? I'm thinking not only for lightwind, but also a production board like Caution Tresspass, spleene Zone, or RRD fatal. there seems to be new directionals coming out this year and some guys in this area are moviing that direction.

PHREERIDER - 9-12-2008 at 06:52 AM

i have used one, kinda bouncy

the big fins send you up wind easy

fun... the jibe thing goes with the more vertical stance change

didnot ride it too much and had to stop and switch on the returns

the toeside ride works but i was falling off once speed picked up

lunchbox - 9-12-2008 at 08:39 AM

Well just my .02 coming from an advanced beginner...

I'm using an old surfboard modified with straps. 7'...lots of volume and not much rocker on tail or front.

Works great in the waves (Note - not ready for the big stuff, under headhigh)....also works great in the chop and great for light wind as well.

Tried strapless a few days ago and although it was a chore to get up, once up it was a blast! Coming from a surfing background, this made it all come into play...definitely recommend it....even better for lightwind than straps.

Unfortunately, haven't tried the 'kitesurfing' surfboards yet. At my weight (218lbs), I need the volume and I don't think any of those boards I've seen would work for me.

HTH.

speleopower - 13-12-2008 at 10:41 AM

Well, if your not riding a big directional your just wakeboarding under a kite:smug:

I've been told by many all knowing kitesurfers that you can't go upwind on a big directional because of the "soft" rails and the big surfboard fins. :puzzled:

Here's some of mine past and present.

Scott

MVC-849F.JPG - 74kB

more boards

speleopower - 13-12-2008 at 10:42 AM

My Surfboards.JPG - 27kB

more boards

speleopower - 13-12-2008 at 10:43 AM

MVC-078S.JPG - 33kB

another cool pic

speleopower - 13-12-2008 at 10:59 AM

upside down

jsp2562 (Medium).jpg - 22kB

kitesurfer - 29-12-2008 at 04:46 AM

u the man, SPLENEPOWER! I bought a 6'8" surfteck al merrick, tuflite, and a 5'11# Admundsen. both boards are in really good shape and i just could passs on the deal. A Christmas present to myself :) i've had the boards for a couple weeks now but haven't tried them out yet.

nwsurfwakeskate - 29-12-2008 at 10:20 AM

yeah my 7'0" drops freecarve has been a challenge to get up wind. although part of that could be I've never taken it out in more then about 10knots

I'd say it makes a better wall ornament now that I have the rip 34

speleopower - 31-12-2008 at 08:34 PM

I'll concede getting huge flatwater airs with a big directional board is quite a challenge. But if I wanted huge air I'd go parachuting ;)

For where I ride the big board is a plus. Winds here are marginal and sometimes I end up just standing on my board bobbing around trying to fly my kite waiting for the wind to come back.

I would like to try the big Silver Arrow sometime.

Scott

lunchbox - 31-12-2008 at 09:19 PM

Quote:

I would like to try the big Silver Arrow sometime.

Hey Scott...how much do you think you'll gain on the bottom end from the SA compared to your 10.5 blade?

speleopower - 31-12-2008 at 09:41 PM

A lot I'm sure. I don't know but there is a bunch of days that I think the Silver Arrow would do the trick.

I also don't know which one would be best. Would like to have a few of them to try and keep the one that is best for the typical Summer evening seabreeze. But for the price of a new Silver Arrow I could just stay home and do something else in those low winds.

Scott