Power Kite Forum

Home made Ply boards

mgatc - 21-2-2009 at 08:10 PM

This is my first foray into making my own kiteboards. No dig intended to anyone who offered me boards at great prices. I'm trying to save money to expand the kite quiver so I had to go the "DIY' route. Both boards are made from 1/2 inch sandply and leftover paint from the shop. I think I have about $75 in each complete board.

This is the top of the boards before foot straps and pads. The board on the left is 127 X 40 with graphics by Madkiteboy. The board on the right is 138 X 45 and is my design.

This is the bottom of each board before fins are installed.

I have no idea if they are functional and won't know until I transition to the water. I might have to borrow a kitesurfer to give them a test flight one day soon. It was a fun weekend project. Thanks to Tridude for encouraging me to go this route.

tridude - 21-2-2009 at 09:18 PM

nice indeed..................................

tridude - 22-2-2009 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mgatc
This is my first foray into making my own kiteboards. No dig intended to anyone who offered me boards at great prices. I'm trying to save money to expand the kite quiver so I had to go the "DIY' route. Both boards are made from 1/2 inch sandply and leftover paint from the shop. I think I have about $75 in each complete board.

This is the top of the boards before foot straps and pads. The board on the left is 127 X 40 with graphics by Madkiteboy. The board on the right is 138 X 45 and is my design.

This is the bottom of each board before fins are installed.

I have no idea if they are functional and won't know until I transition to the water. I might have to borrow a kitesurfer to give them a test flight one day soon. It was a fun weekend project. Thanks to Tridude for encouraging me to go this route.

you dont need to borrow anyone..............head to the beach, water relaunch, body drag, then give em a shot

acampbell - 22-2-2009 at 09:21 AM

Mel,
Nice work! Very creative graphics. What kind of finish coat?
Where did you get your shapes and proportions?

furbowski - 22-2-2009 at 12:54 PM

:thumbup:

love the spider one...

did you try building in any rocker? or just going with a straight board and the rocker your weight will put into it as you ride?

looking forwards to hearing how you get on with them, I'm about two weeks away from trying myself!! can't wait!

mgatc - 22-2-2009 at 05:25 PM

Shapes and dimensions came from a bit of research on various boards. Heard wider is better for learning hence the 45cm width on the longer board. Smaller board is narrower for my son or as progression board for me. Just as easy to make two while I was cutting and painting.
Both boards are flat. My homework seems to indicate that enough rocker is produced from foot pressure. Being a wakeboarder and surfer, having no rocker seems a bit strange.
Boards were primed with several coats of an oil-based KILZ. Color coats were added along with graphics. Finish is multiple coats (5/6??)of a water-based polyurethane. I used water based because of concern for an oil-based poly eating up the the latex paint.
4 X 8 plywood, $35; two sets of fins and straps, $100; Polyurethane, $16; Mounting hardware, $10. I still have two board blanks left over from the plywood so I can make two additional boards for the cost of fins and straps.
Tridude, U2U sent.

PHREERIDER - 22-2-2009 at 06:27 PM

138 x45 lokks nice , i would hit it for sure

if it is flat it will be fast, a little centered concave channel on the bottom would make board control easier at first

nice work looks to be a nice freestyler set for sure

I wouldn't bother with the fins and definitely flat water

furbowski - 22-2-2009 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mgatc

Both boards are flat. My homework seems to indicate that enough rocker is produced from foot pressure. Being a wakeboarder and surfer, having no rocker seems a bit strange.

I'll be curious to hear how the foot pressure rocker thing works out...

mgatc - 23-2-2009 at 08:46 AM

Me too:dunno:

I want to try these out and then decide on what or what not to incorporate on the next build.

PHREERIDER - 24-2-2009 at 08:47 AM

really interested in making my own,

i like the the 1/4 ply (epoxy X 2 lam.) with a little rocker (1/2-1")

you got some flex, a little rocker...shaped top down for the rail,

wide block tail like your smaller one i think is ideal

around 136x45 seeems quick enogh for my size

the width is gonna help the planing

i have a pure flat thing i ride no fins def. light winds and flatwater ( tidal pools) big and floppy but fun (PIC in the gallery)

i am in the skim board frame of mind but favor twin tip design

couple sketchy landings will probably break it but it will encourage better balance and control

mgatc - 24-2-2009 at 02:44 PM

Still debating whether to install the fins or not. What do the fins actually do? I'd rather not drill more holes if the fins aren't needed.
I read somewhere that fins hamper upwind ability which seems counter-intuitive.

BeamerBob - 24-2-2009 at 05:58 PM

The fins just give you something else to lean back against to hold your edge. Without the fins, your directional control is all derived from the edge of the board. I've ridden my wakeboard with no fins and it is incredibly slippery. It requires much more skill to ride without the fins or too small fins.

MadKiteBoy - 24-2-2009 at 07:23 PM

im thinkin about takin a belt sander to the bottom of mine and jus doin those center cuts that new wakeboards have to give me a little bit more control

PHREERIDER - 24-2-2009 at 07:29 PM

fins give tracking and drive

tracking =point the board and without much effort stays in that direction and the front and back don't "spin"on the bottom

drive =lateral resistance felt as water is "cuts" by the fin produce a forward movement or "drive"

without fins the edge of the board becomes like one big drive fin sorta

big fins add alot of drive and up wind is easier but switches must be hopped also carving can be done very aggressive with good control

boards with flat bottom are gonna stay onflat water and not dealmuch with swells or chop
fins will help... 2.5" on the corners and it will go where you point and really feel "hooked up" on the water

as you progress a loose feel is fun to play on in the flatter sections and underneath

put holes where the fins go...just seal the wood ...you can runit with holes there, it won't make a different

mgatc - 24-2-2009 at 07:34 PM

Fins are going on tomorrow:thumbup: