Power Kite Forum

I need some advice Ocean Rodeo vs Naish vs North

nwsurfwakeskate - 28-2-2009 at 11:00 AM

Hey I'm thinking about picking up some of my first SLE kites for high winds.

my reasoning is that although the Phantoms are great. they are not always the most friendly to launch and when combined with people who have never seen foils trying to help you launch in very tight quarters they fall a bit outside of my comfort zone.

so my question is out of all of the tube kites on the market what would you guys recommend? I'm not really sure what's good and what is just hyped.

I can tell you I've heard great things about the Ocean Rodeo Rise but I'm not sure about the other OR models.

I think the Naish Cult looks awesome but I don't know if its a good kite.

North Kites seem to always be popular and seem like a good brand but my recent experience with there weird line plan has me thinking I'd like to stay away from them unless I hear nothing but praise.

Oh I should also mention I'm planning on keeping all my phantoms and my P4 because they have there perfect place in my quiver. I think I'd mainly like to get a 10-12m SLE initially and maybe a 7-9m later on if I like the first one I get.

manitoulinkiter1 - 28-2-2009 at 01:55 PM

Hey

All three brands you mentioned are top of the line. It's the same thing you hear a lot of you, have to try them and make your own desicion based on personal preference.
I agree with you on the North kites with the 5th line, it's the same as(or similiar to) a Flysurfer FDS. I've never used a North with the 5th line, but I've heard it's a bit of a pain, an extra line to unroll and roll up. The 4 line safety on Ocean Rodeo and the Naish works excellent IMO the kite lays down flat without much pull when you activate it.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the North either I'm told that system works very well I'v just never used it.
Anther brand worth looking at is Eclipse I only mention this because I am looking at them because I have heard good things about them and they come with a one year no questions asked repair warranty, which I believe is the best warranty out there right now for inflatables.
Try them if you can then decide, but quality wise they are all good.

John

nwsurfwakeskate - 28-2-2009 at 11:30 PM

thanks,

yeah eclipse and slingshot rev's and rev 2's have been mentioned as kites I should also try.

I mainly just want something stupidly easy to fly that I can use at launches that are crowded with tube kiters who don't know how to help me with a foil

I think it will probably either be an ocean rodeo rise or naish helix or cult.

im interested to try out eclipse or slingshot too but they are second on my list currently

bigkahuna - 13-3-2009 at 06:58 PM

Stay away from Naish. Worst kites currently on the market (and this from a guy who used to kite in Robby Naish's home town). I bought my wife a new Naish last year and it was total crap. Norths are OK, just way too many battens for my taste. Ocean Rodeo's have had their problems in the past, so are a mixed bag. Depends on the year and model. I think the 07's had a reputation for falling out of the sky, not sure if they fixed that issue for the 08s or not. Our local shop carries just about everything, but the owner's been flying Eclipses and claims to love them. I've heard good and bad about Eclipse here on the banks, but don't have any hands on experience with them. Another kite I'm not thrilled with are Cabrinhas. I tought lessons with a Cab Omega last year. Kite was total crap. Easy to relaunch, but sucked in the air.

I went from Phantoms / Venoms to Best Bularoos and never looked back. Everything I liked about my Venoms I've got with my Bularoos, plus add much faster turning and about 1/3rd the cost. I use my 07 Bularoos in everything from 12 mph to 35+ and they are awesome kites. I have a pretty complete quiver of Best kites and every one is a winner. You can probably pick up some 08 Bularoos or Waroos on clearance for super cheap. The Bularoos are a bit heavier construction and a bit more stable than the Waroos, but the 08 Waroos are very similar in flying qualities to the 07 Bularoos. When I'm ready to get a new kite (and it won't be soon, mine are still perfect) it'll be a Best, no question.

Bladerunner - 14-3-2009 at 11:02 AM

I'm Glad BigK mentioned the Bularoo!
My experience with lei's come only from flying around them. Waroos and Bularoos are very popular with the cross over crowd. Bularoo has the scuff pads set for land use. I am always impressed with the performance of those kites when sharing space with them. You can spank them all over the place to create power !

I'm fond of O.R. . They are made and tested on the N.W. so are built for your beaches.

I would have to think that if Naish's Helix design was so much better that others would be moving that way ?

bigkahuna - 14-3-2009 at 10:37 PM

"I would have to think that if Naish's Helix design was so much better that others would be moving that way ?"

If you follow Naish's history in the kite market, although they've come up with a few innovative designs, most of their designs have been complete flops. Not only is the Helix a poor design IMHO from an engineering standpoint, but I also think it's butt ugly.