Power Kite Forum

day #1, #2 & #3 island hopping, NOW #4

PHREERIDER - 26-3-2009 at 06:45 PM

nice 25-35 mph day side on.

V16 modded comes out with JL133 in a hot session. bit of gut check with this kite kinda at it's limit gust over 30 gave huge airs that seem to go on forever.

forgot how incredible this board can be with the right power. airush had me loving the light wind show for too long.

blow torch lit, at 200lbs this thing feels like a toothpick but man it can take the heat. ultra smooth in white cap city. jet launch on these big rollers coming in.

l will say after about an hour and a half this set up was fatiguing. but wow what a ride definitely worth it

looks to be 3 more days of this

PHREERIDER - 27-3-2009 at 08:32 PM

day #2
most of the day was 15mph nice ATB session for couple hours then hit the water for a couple hours on a rising tide with rain which came in with this incredible blow about an hour after low up to about 25-30 straight onshore. sessioned out in the tidal pool underneath. no one the beach you could get ultra close.

more tomorrow.. sane time same channel

johnnylaing - 27-3-2009 at 09:26 PM

we got it too...work late then hit the beach at 6:30. Rage 3.5 and bug was ALL I could handle...popped a power line..looks like I'm figuring out how to hang on...like HHI, SSI is on again tomorrow. It would be a blast to see you ride Chad...

PHREERIDER - 28-3-2009 at 05:02 PM

island hopping

sessioned over to Dafuskie Island this afternoon and got this hot funnel of wind in front, out in calibogue sound. nice and flat 25-30mph and around 35mph at times mostly South. full bore hyper v16 and JL 133.

around 4 hours... a front came through and dumped huge rain just after we bagged it. confirming once again the JL as supreme ocean going board, blistering fast runs, rock solid edge to pop huge air and land ultra hot, smooth as silk. yesterday had a chance to try RRD 136x41 X5. don't know what year maybe 2007. light and flimsy, wakestyle bunch of nothing.

oh yeah found this huge scallop shell still hinged out on a fresh sand bar that is coming up in minus tides, about 8 inches in diameter(nice gift for the wife)

anyway more tomorrow

PHREERIDER - 29-3-2009 at 06:45 PM

DAY #4

howling WEST 30MPH WITH GUST UP TO 40MPH

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.as... (make sure the date is 3-29-2009)

jumped on it with V16 and 133 @ 2pm til 6pm

found a tidal shallow spot between 2 sand bars just south of the southern tip of dafuskie island blow it out with the regular crowd and a few windsurfers really heated up after five ..this meter is very close and probably the most accurate because of its height.

V16 pulled in about 2/3 with good control well over it's limit by 10mph..
a guy on a 8m pulled off a couple kite loop jumps

biggest blimp on rotation was an 11m with 200lb rider

V16 delivering nose bleed airs with 10+ seconds of float out

enough!

BeamerBob - 29-3-2009 at 07:11 PM

I'd like to get to watch this water action myself. This blog is getting pretty inspiring.

Body dragging for me early next week and I hope to plane off on one of tridudes boards when he makes a visit later in the week to Edisto.

johnnylaing - 29-3-2009 at 07:41 PM

we got it here too...no kiters out, don't get it ! 3 windsurfers...I want to see me some kitin' in this stuff- we gots the setup! I would think a kite would handle the gusts better than a windsurf rig.

PHREERIDER - 30-3-2009 at 05:50 AM

the guys here on 4.7 -5.0 with tiny boards( 80L?). i could use a smaller kite(soon as i find one) but the PL and the small board works well for me. the kiter /windsufer i ride with was an Olympic candidate in '96 so this guy incredible, forward rolls on windsurfer and all, great sailor.
great sessions

Chefmini - 30-3-2009 at 04:11 PM

Chad, your sessions are very inspiring to read!!! I had a lesson last Friday down Key Biscayne flats... 25 knots SE low tide. Got my first solid rides back and forth. All the mechanics are starting to click.
Epic for me. Please continue with your adventure.

PHREERIDER - 30-3-2009 at 05:28 PM

hey its all about the stoke, brother.

sounds like your are getting to the "session at will" level

keep it flowing, we are all on an adventure, it's a beautiful ride.

mastering wind and water at a personal level.

soon you'll be, if not already, a planetary rider supreme

johnnylaing - 30-3-2009 at 08:52 PM

I do love the stoke PHREE!! Sunday 4.7+wave board, today low tide rippin on the bug w/ 3.5 BLURRRR. life is good. When the ride is intense it's cool how you can let the brain get out of the way and just flow.