Power Kite Forum

Kiteboarding in the Florida Keys... not that far off.

DonaldLL - 17-5-2009 at 07:04 PM

We took a day trip down to the Middle Keys on Saturday. It was a beautiful day with or without the kites. Did we have ours? Well, of course! We went down to see if there was any place to fly on the beach. The short answer... NO, there isn't. We did fly all 4 kites but that's not the subject of this post.

We did see was about 25 kiteboarders. There's a specific beach where they all gather including a couple of instructors available for lessons. We had been down to this area many times just to watch and look. This was the first time we visited as experienced 4 line flyers eventhough we're only static flyers.

Wendy (my S.O.), just 1 week ago said, "I'm not going to do that. No way! I like the kites we have but that's it! You'll never see me in the water with a kite; you're on your own with this one". Well apparently, she had some epiphany I guess, because now she wants to try kiteboarding.

Here we go again! Who am I to stand in the way of this woman in her pursuit of happiness??! :singing:

we have visitors coming in that may prevent us from doing this for the next couple of weekends but I'd say you'll be getting a report on Day1 kiteboarding in the very near future!

:wee:

Winkie - 17-5-2009 at 07:24 PM

I have to say that at least yesterday after watching the kiteboarders, I found myself daydreaming about how it must feel to be on the water and trying to figure out how it is done. This may very well be an interesting adventure!:Ange09: HeeHeeHee!

clintopher - 18-5-2009 at 02:46 AM

Not to discourage you, and I don't know personally, but I hear the wind absolutely sucks in Florida during the summer. So if you do want to kiteboard either start saving money for a BIG AZZ kite or you might wait until the winds return. The reason I say that is it's easier to learn if you can do it frequently rather than take a lesson, get another session or two in, don't do it for three months, and then pick it back up again.

Kamikuza - 18-5-2009 at 02:59 AM

It's all good - surely flying Revs, foils and LEI's is a sign of well-balanced psyche Don :D

S.O ...? Security Officer? Stationary Obstacle? State Official?

BeamerBob - 18-5-2009 at 03:18 AM

Significant other.:lol:

Kamikuza - 18-5-2009 at 06:53 AM

... doh :banghead: :laugh:

DonaldLL - 18-5-2009 at 06:07 PM

Kamikuza.... as Bob said S.O. = significant other but there is a double meaning here. I am a Sr. Information Security Officer in my 'grown up' life. So you got 1 out of 2... that's not bad!!

DonaldLL - 18-5-2009 at 06:09 PM

clintopher.... you know I never thought of that. I will check into this... thanks for the heads up

Kamikuza - 18-5-2009 at 08:52 PM

:D

Chefmini - 19-5-2009 at 09:41 AM

Hey Donald, from Lauderdale, started last summer with Beamer 4m. I spend alot of time at Dania Beach. The summer was long last year but gave me an opportunity to get used to flying the foil. I got the kiteboarding bug 1 month into it. you will have a few opportunities for land lessons in the Summer. Save your money for the winter and do your water sessions when the winds get more consistent.
When you get on the water you will be hooked!!!!
Lets hook up sometime..