Power Kite Forum

use kiteboard as wakeboard?

coppertop31 - 27-5-2009 at 06:18 PM

hey, I was wondering, is it possible to use my spleene rip34 as a wakeboard? I watching some videos online and it looks like the footpads or whatever were like boots connected to the board whereas I just have straps? Wasn't sure where to post this either..

mougl - 27-5-2009 at 06:35 PM

Wakeboards for the most part have boot bindings, they come in handy for throwing scarecrows, mobius, etc. I personally wouldn't board behind a boat with just straps. My first wakeboard had straps and wow, it was painful.

mgatc - 27-5-2009 at 06:39 PM

Sure. Typically not a lot of rocker which causes the front edge of the board to nose dive resulting in some yard sale face plants - eyelid inside out type face plants.
Most anything will do. We've used the plyboards, skimboards, and surfboards and every now and then, an actual wakeboard!

coppertop31 - 27-5-2009 at 06:40 PM

hmm i was reading somewhere else that bindings can actually be more painful because you cant flex your ankel so your sides hurt more. What about just going at a slower speed, i wasn't looking to get all crazy or anything like that, just go fast enough to stay on top of the water, however slow that is possible...

powerzone - 27-5-2009 at 06:47 PM

Nick... i've wakeboarded with my Rip34... it was actually a quite comfortable ride... just lean way back since there is less rocker.

coppertop31 - 27-5-2009 at 07:10 PM

John,
Good to hear! my friend just got a boat a few weeks ago and when I told him about my spleene he said he'd love to tow me if I'm interested. I was actually putting the board together earlier, never got around to putting the fins and everything on it, I noticed the fins have 3 holes on them but it looks like you can only attach them with the outer most holes, whats the middle hole for???

thanks for the replies everyone!

PHREERIDER - 28-5-2009 at 05:20 AM

go strapless wake skate.

you don't need any kind of bindings, straps

but for tricky tricks boots are the ticket

with the spleen 34 you should be able to ride behind the boat fast

probably twice fast as a wake board

coppertop31 - 28-5-2009 at 08:56 AM

how do you go about turning when wakeboarding? do you just go more heelside or toeside to go right or left? or is it about twisting your ankel or something?

BeamerBob - 28-5-2009 at 09:00 AM

The fins help but real wakeboard skills come from using edge control. You are right in that you use heel and toe pressure to turn on the board. Match your lean to how hard you turn the board, much like on a skateboard.

coppertop31 - 28-5-2009 at 09:38 AM

Alright, so is the turning the same when actually kiteboarding then?
And I can really go twice as fast as a regular wakeboard?? This sounds so exciting, i can't wait to try this out! especially since i havent actually kiteboarded yet..

bigben91682 - 28-5-2009 at 02:52 PM

You can ride just about anything behind a boat if the speed is right. I have a 4' circle of plywood that we use behind the boat and it's loads of fun for dinking around, spinning and stuff. As long as you find a good speed, no problem.

Before you get started get the hand signals organized with your friend - thumbs up = speed up, thumbs down = slow down...he should know this if he's towing anybody though. With adjustable speed, from the board, you will have tons of fun.

[Hijack] THis topic reminded me of this picture my wife took last summer....that goose totally had it coming :wee: [/Hijack]

_IGP0812.JPG - 101kB

PHREERIDER - 29-5-2009 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by coppertop31
Alright, so is the turning the same when actually kiteboarding then?
And I can really go twice as fast as a regular wakeboard?? This sounds so exciting, i can't wait to try this out! especially since i havent actually kiteboarded yet..

you have a spleen34 and not kiteboarded?

thats a hot smaller kite board, should take all you can stand .
the flat water i am sure will be sureal ...then apply to 8 ft swells young jedi

BeamerBob - 29-5-2009 at 06:55 AM

I'm worried about the "twice as fast as a wakeboard" comment. With little to rocker and high speeds and a flat board, the front tip is going to get very close the the water surface. Boards tend to get squirlly when you ride them flat with no dominant edge. The speed will be safer if you are outside the wake with a little edge pressure on the board.

Jovver - 8-9-2009 at 08:51 AM

Lol, Ben that facial expression is hilarious. I would have been yelling at the goose if I were in that position! Great pic.