Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: phantom VS scorpion VS syn
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 11:48 PM
phantom VS scorpion VS syn

Well, i finally found some time to type up my review since I’m sick right now.
Equipment used: Phantom 15m / Scorpion 16m / Synergy 15m
Bar: twinskin 50cm / twinskin 60cm
Vehicle: MBS Comp 95
Wind conditions (varying): 8knots to 27knots (gusting to 30)
rider: me (115lbs)

Setup:
1. Scorpion – preinflate was the fastest. However it was second when it was only blowing 8knots. If i didn’t get enough air into it while it was on the ground i could easily make up it up when it was in the air. The airtakes take in more over the Syn. However when it was sitting on the ground not flying it would lose air a bit faster than the Syn.

2. Syn – was fast too, however i found that it inflated a bit slower.

3. Since the inflate tip is dead center i couldn’t inflate like i would with the Syn or Scorp. My method was just to open it up inflate one side, and fly it to fill in the rest. I’ve been told that you’re suppose to hold both sides of the spar ends and let it fill. I never tried it, too lazy to bother.

Flying:

1. Syn was a pleasure to fly, and was enjoying with the quick turns, and reduced bar pressure, and when i set the straps for quicker turns it preformed quite well. I could control the power so i wasn’t being lifted. I however like a little more bar pressure than most, it’s probably from my FB flying and like knowing im holding onto something.

2. the Scorpion was more to my style of flying, more grunt, and higher bar pressure. it turned faster without having to adjust the inner straps, however it did require some adjusting of the brake lines because it needed a 2" extension. I spent less time pushing and pulling the bar in/out as i did with the Syn. It always had some tension on the bar so i didn’t always have to find my trim position.

3. Phanny was not my cup of tea, it flew faster than both the syn and scorpion however it didnt feel like i had a kite to hold onto. the bar pressure was light, and didnt have as much grunt than what i was hoping. I can see why buggiers like the phanny it’s all about the speed with these things. Not much side pull. The auto zenith just has it siting there no problem, it was the best out of the three.

Jumping:

1. I actually like the Scorpion for jumping over the Syn. The Scorpion offered more height, and launch. Just a tap of the bar and i was airborne. With the more air time, I had more time to do grabs. When you screwed up a jump, the kite actually drifted to the edge of the wind window before going to zenith which was nice so there was no pressure against you.

2. The Syn had more float over both the other two. The float was nice since you could actually come down a little nicer than the Scorpion.

3. The phanny offered distance jumps, i couldn’t get too much height out of it for the life of me. It’s probably because i didn’t have the straps set right. I got lift, but nothing nearly as the syn or scorp.

Flying beyond the limits (not recommended):

1. Syn was my favourite in 27 knots gusting to 30, i felt safe at all times. I only had to pull the bar in about 2 inches and i was going airborne. Since it’s got the extra float time, it’s a gentle landing and you don’t drift downwind as fast.

2. the phanny was like turbo on the mtn board ... forward speed all the way. It had the biggest gust muncher, and you could see the kite just curve. Dunno if it’s a good idea, when your airborne, because you have less area now.

3. scorpion was scary, however it was also exciting, i could see myself doing kiteloops more if i had the space to drift downwind. I would see myself downgrading to maybe a Scorpion 10m in this condition.

All in all i have been happy flying the different arcs, and there is an arc for everyone and the different flying styles. No arc is the same as the other, and you really need to try them all to find what works best for you.
For the buggiers, you cant steer away from the phantom, if you like riding a buggy on a bar, the phanny offers everything you need to go fast. Its truly a depower speed machine, that works well in regular conditions and in conditions you would probably never fly it. I can see why they are used a lot at nabx because they get you though the gusty conditions well, and at the same time not feeling like you’re about to #@%$#! your pants with the excess sidepull on a FB foil. Who knows the Phanny II is in the works.
If you could only afford one kite quiver, than i would go with the Syn, in the 15m. It seems like the all round size. Not too big / not to too small and covers the most windrange. There are so many different combinations on the kite (vps and inner straps), and bar ... youll find something that suits you.
The Scorpion is a two kite quiver, IMO. However if you’re into KGB you like this kite or the new Charger coming out. Its got a more solid feel to the kite, due to the kite profile, and number of cells. The scorpion profile seem thinner than the Syn (big pillow).

dylanj423
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 08:01 AM

thanks for the detailed review.... lots of good info...

WHAT I FLY:
Flysurfer Soul v2 12m, Soul 15m, Soul v2 21m

Flexi Rage 1.8m, Jojo RM 3m, Flexi Blurr 3.5, Flexi Blade 4.0m, Flexi Blade 4.9m, Flexi Blurr 5, Jojo RM 6m

WHAT I RIDE:
Kite Skates, Libre Full Race, GI Conflict 106, OR Mako 140, Spleene Door 159

What I Am In The Market For: Peter Lynn Vapors, Weatherproof Kite Buggy Bag for Libre, PL or Flexi Small Buggy to Tow With, Flexi Pro Link Handles, Flexi Lines, Flexi Kite Killers
Drewculous
Posting Freak

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 08:38 AM

great info rip :thumbup::thumbup:

Interesting to see how they all stack up

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 08:40 AM

I love my 16m scorpion! Thanks for the good review. I think you are dead on with the review of all three

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 09:47 AM

I can't wait to get that Phantom out and feel for myself the diference. :ticking:

I didn't get enough time in on the Scorpian. It would be great if you got another back in. Maybe a different size ?

It looks to me like the Scorpian and Synergy have taken your jumps to another level ! :Ange09:

Great review !

Now we need to throw a Venom in to the mix ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 04:56 PM

nice review Rip.....I would say the Scorp is the wild child of the 3...........the Phanny is slower than the other 2 but very smooth and direct. Ive had 3 water sessions with the Phanny, awesome. Points upwind very well and is fast........no land sessions to this point.............The Syn is fast with plenty of power. I told ACampbell the other day folks need to stick with the Syn and dial it in.......once youve got it, AWESOME...........the 15 has a big range and Ill probably go with a 12m in the fall.................the 13m Venom is off the hook but is now in my sons quiver.............:lol::lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 8-7-2009 at 09:18 PM

BR and I are keeping the syn 15m on our quiver.

soccerflyer

Mood: Wanting to Jump!

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 08:02 AM

Sounds like the Synergy was Rip's favorite. Do others who have tried these agree? Depends on what you are looking for I know.

My other question is how do these compare to Flysurfers?

Edit: Just now saw this sorry -> http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=10459

Pansh Blaze 3M
Best Waroo 9M
GI AK 103
Mystic Seat Harness
csa_deadon
Posting Freak

Mood: waiting for spring sobb, fall sobb, ABE, IBX

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 12:19 PM

Bladerunner, you can have a go in September with my Scorp.

www.napka.org
US911
What I ride, and fly
Custom KBSS Libre Hardcore with John Deer tires!
Ozone R1 11m, Ozone Summit 10ul, 15m ul

Wish list:
Wind powered portable coffee maker.
Chrono, Chrono, Chrono!
dgkid78

Mood: Wicket Smaht= Wicked Smart

[*] posted on 15-8-2009 at 05:43 AM

Makes me wanna go out and get a Synergy. LOL you know you want a kite when you start looking at all your available credit on the credt cards :lol: and of course there isn't enough :crazy:

Hq Montana 2 7m

HQ Montana 3 9.5m

MBS Comp 90

My Quiver is old...but I\'m a broke kiter!!!

Video:

http://vimeo.com/6674899

Some Pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgkid78/
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 15-8-2009 at 05:30 PM

My 15m Syn will probably be up for sale within 2 to 3 weeks. With the 19m SA2 and 10m Pulse, the Synergy wont get out as much as she used to..................great kite but I cant let her just "sit"..........................

:lol::lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
tridude
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-8-2009 at 05:34 PM

Id say the Synergy would be the best all rounder and all location kite.................great range, speed thru the window and turns, grunt, lift, depower, pop, and float........................the 12m is VERY fast turning, probably good from 13/14 kts to around 30........................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio