Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First kite help please
Metalyc-Dragon

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 11:23 AM
First kite help please

Hey people I'm looking to start kite boarding and I'm wondering what size of kite i should get
Here's the basic details of me and where i live
I've been kiting with a 4ish m kite and a scrub deimos ATB for a few years now but due to a load of new phone lines going up the area i can kite has been drastically reduced so i thought i'd move out to sea, I live in Orkney an island north of scotland which (according to the local council) has an average wind speed of about 35mph
mostly i'm wondering what kind of size i should go for money isn't too much of a prob really don't want to spend more than £700-800 on the kiter and lines but if necessary and i can scrounge around

P.S i know this is my first kite (for kite surfing) so i should probably go for something a bit smaller than usual but as i said earlier i've been kiting for a few years now so the basics aren't a problem however kitesurfing is uncharted territory for me so I'm just needing a bit of advice
also just incase ya needede ta know i'm ~80kg or 175lbs

many thx
M-D
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 11:39 AM

Take a lesson, not only will you get valuable and mega-time saving tips, hints and instruction but you will get the chance to fly several different types and sizes of kites and boards. (Board selection is just as important as kite selection) Also your instructor in your area will know exactly what size kite you will want to purchase because he/she kiteboards right along side of you where you are at. There's also the chance that your instructor may have or know of several new or even used boards that you can purchase that will save you some money - usually more than enough to pay for the lesson(s).

Anyone else who tries to tell you what size kite you need will only be giving you generalizations and estimates based on what they use in their area - which could be totally opposite from what you will be needing.

Try to find an instructor that will teach to your flying skills, not from the standard handbook that won't get you off of the beach until lesson 4.

Metalyc-Dragon

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 02:29 PM

Unfortuantely the nearest place i can go for schooling/lessons is about 150-200 miles away so it's a little hard to get advice about the best kite to use up here but I probably will go for lessons at some point thx for the advice
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 04:23 PM

It is extremely important to know a few things going out on the water. The rules of navigation at sea. How to Self Rescue. The right winds / location.

Odds are you will need a 2 kite quiver. It sounds like you get some real strong winds. I would suggest something in the 7-9 m range depending on the kite.

You can use an LEI on land so don't rule out inflatables. Usually you are extremely hard on your 1st water kite. It would be advisable to get a used one .

Flysurfer, H.Q. SkyCountry and Peter Lynn all make Closed cell kites that can be used on land + water that stand up to a beating pretty well. Still a used one is a good idea.

Folks are right about the lesson thing. Lessons will propell you in to the " self sufficient " stage. Trying to self teach can be a long hard road that has made more than one person quit before actually getting started. It will be the BEST money you have spent.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio