Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new Kitesurfer
kihighter

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 11:51 PM
new Kitesurfer

I am really interested in kitesurfing and am going to take lessons soon. I want to know what be the ideal size kite for me to learn on. i weigh 155 lbs if that make a difference.
clintopher

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 02:07 AM

Get a 2 or 3 meter kite before you do anything and learn how to fly it. You'll get a lot more out of your lessons if you already know how to fly a kite.

What size kite to get not only depends on your weight, but also your local conditions. Where are you located?

Flysurfer Speed 2 15m
Wainman Boss
Wainman Smoke
HQ Rush 250
Flysurfer Flyradical L
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 10:26 AM

Clintopher is BANG ON.

If you get a 3m trainer and learn the basics of the wind window + set your reflex muscles ahead of the lesson it will be well worth it. Knowing this stuff will shorten your lesson$ and set you up to progress through them faster. Knowing where the kite is by feel will make learning to get in to the board and going a whole lot easier.

The Sensie isn't tooo bad a choice. If I am right the Best is not designed as a relaunchable 2 line . BE SURE that if you buy a 2 line it IS relaunchable!!!! 3 or 4 line on a bar is better.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Jack1988

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 06:11 PM

you must learn to fly a kite before even thinking about kitesurfing imo.

Radsails 3.2 (High wind pulling machine)
Pansh Ace 4.5 (My Old friend)
Exit 5m ( Lifty Argos kite)
Cirrus 6m Pro ( Medium/High wind boarding on FB)
Ozone Frenzy 9.5m 03 (depower is a dream)
FlexiFoil Blade 10.5 MIII (:o)
MBS Vixen :D
Pro Limit Harness (too big)
Scrub Seat harness (ouch my balls)
Ozone Bar (For the FB\';)

Always Learning
burritobandit

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 06:45 PM

HQ Rush Pro series or the HQ Hydra are awesome 3line trainers. The 3rd line makes the kites easier to relaunch and you can use the 3rd line to land and park the kite as well.

The difference between them is that the Hydra is a closed cell foil able to land on water and not sink.

HQ Rush Pro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6fotHNtSlM

HQ Hydra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNhzGMiQtJ0

Kites:
2012 TS 7,9,12/2007 Waroo 3,5/2009 Kahoona 9.5
Flexifoil Ion 2 8.5
HQ Hydra 350
Naish Helix 2, Cult 3,4.5
Ozone Zephyr 17m
Rides:
2011 Best Profanity 134, Cabrinha Kiteskate, Cabrinha Nugget, 2k9 Cabrinha Plasma 146x50, 2k9 Flexifoil Delta 139x41.5, 2011 Slingshot Darko 135x41, Slingshot Scud, Tona wakeskate, Flexifoil Flexdeck, MBS Pro 90, MBS Ambush x 2, some oldskool buggy
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 06:48 PM

I've had over 10 years of playing with stunt kites etc, and watching people who have had a few days lessons going into the water and trying to control the kite and the board at the same time always gives me the willies :lol:

HOWEVER ...

It obviously can be done, and I'm sure they might even be better off than I am cos I tend to over analyze what's going on and it probably makes it harder for me. "This should be working grr why can't I do it bah humbug" :lol:

Get lessons with an approved instructor - it's worth the money.
Before you buy - rent all kinds of different gear if you can, you'll just click with some stuff and not with others. ESPECIALLY try out the water relaunch capabilities ... I can't relaunch the Best kites for #@%$#! but the Cabrihnas go straight up :crazy:
If you must buy new, get like last seasons models at massive discounts. Or buy used so you can prang it, learn how to fix it and don't break your heart :)

One thing I'd check is if they have some kind of communication system - I had a lesson with a teacher who put a helmet on me that had a radio receiver in ... meant I spent more time on the water trying to surf than on the shore watching him fly the kite and show me how to do it, like some other teachers. That good teacher also used a video camera to show me what I was doing wrong. Really helped me, cos I'm a visual kind of thinker ...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
kihighter

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clintopher
Get a 2 or 3 meter kite before you do anything and learn how to fly it. You'll get a lot more out of your lessons if you already know how to fly a kite.

What size kite to get not only depends on your weight, but also your local conditions. Where are you located?

ill be boarding in the jones beach area in long island NY. i have offers for a 12m switchblade ids for 1300, and a crossbow for 700 both come w full kits.
arkay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-9-2009 at 11:30 PM

I strongly suggest that you do not buy a kite until you've had lessons. Learn how to fly and learn on the equipment the school has. I'd be a shame if you wrecked your new kite while learning. I know many a person who bought a kite too fast and ended up selling it for half of what the bought it for becasue it did not suit them once they learned. It'll be well worth the wait and $'s when you buy a kite that suites your style, habits, and local conditions. Your local school will have these kites on hand for you to try (or wreck!) during your lesson. At 155 at 12m sounds pretty big, I fly mine in 14-23mph and I'm 220. You're instructor will get you on the right track for a kite and a board.

US503 - Manzanita, Oregon

Fixed Bridal: Flexifoil Sting 1.2, 1.7; Rage Acid 2.5m, 3.5m, 4.7m, 6m | Peter Lynn Vapor 11.2m, 16.1m | NPW 7m
Depower : Peter Lynn Venom 2 13m, 16m, 19m | Peter Lynn Phantom 15m | Flysurfer 2.5 SA 19m
LEI : Flexifoil Atom 7m, 9m, 12m; Mutiny 8m
Land rides : Libre Hardcore; Libre v-max; Peter Lynn XR+W | Rollerblade Coyotes! | Ground Industries AK Pro
Water rides : Slingshot Misfit 134; Ocean Rodeo Mako 150; North WAM! 5\'10

4 Sale/Trade: HQ M1 5m, Flysurfer Pulse 10, PL Venom 2 16m, PL Venom 19m

clintopher

[*] posted on 14-9-2009 at 02:31 AM

You're not going to want to hear this but another thing you might want to consider is holding off taking it to the water until Spring. I'm not sure how it is up there, but around here the wind is just starting to pic up again and should be smooth for a month or month and a half. After that it starts to get pretty bumpy...not to mention come November the water temp is really starting to go down. My whole point is your learning curve will be much more steady if you can kitesurf for 6 or 8 months rather than kite for a month or two, take a 4 month break, and then start kiting again.

Flysurfer Speed 2 15m
Wainman Boss
Wainman Smoke
HQ Rush 250
Flysurfer Flyradical L
Jack1988

[*] posted on 14-9-2009 at 06:13 AM

im intrigued by the hydra 3., i saw that once before when i started but didnt know what it was.
Can you kitesurf with it for practice? or is it too small?

Radsails 3.2 (High wind pulling machine)
Pansh Ace 4.5 (My Old friend)
Exit 5m ( Lifty Argos kite)
Cirrus 6m Pro ( Medium/High wind boarding on FB)
Ozone Frenzy 9.5m 03 (depower is a dream)
FlexiFoil Blade 10.5 MIII (:o)
MBS Vixen :D
Pro Limit Harness (too big)
Scrub Seat harness (ouch my balls)
Ozone Bar (For the FB\';)

Always Learning

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio