Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What size board?
Jovver

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 06:26 AM
What size board?

Hey guys,

I know that the water season is almost over, but I was doing some thinking ahead for next season. I am 6'5" @ 260 lbs and am a beginner on the water so I was wondering what size board I would need.
rudeboysaude

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 06:32 AM

Go big. I'm about 6' and 220 and I don't go smaller then a 145. Mostly I ride a Mako or Crazy Fly All Around. And since our summers usually have light winds, I ride my huge Door 64 alot as well or my 7 foot surfboard. My wife has a SX 151 that is a great learning board that still performs in higher winds as well. If you go big, it'll be easier to learn on and then you'll have something for light winds once you've mastered water.

Peter Lynn Snowkite Team
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 06:33 AM

We are about the same height but you have me by about 40 lbs. I did very well on a liquid force proof 151 my first 2 times out and made progress each time. I think the board is right for me now and will be fine until I hit higher speeds. Then I'll need a smaller board. They make one size larger in that board and you might need that while learning/lower winds. You'll need quite a bit more power than your 160 lb buddies too. You might need your 15 when they are taking out 9s and 12s. As another pkf member said: "Gravity loves the big kids". That's us.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 06:34 AM

Seconded. Go big. I started with my Spleene Rip 134. Great little board, but way to small for learning unless the winds were nuking. I can only ride it if wind are around 17-20mph with my 11m TD2. Otherwise I'm on the door (164), and its perfect. But I weigh less than you. I'd go big like suggested above. :)

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
Jovver

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 06:43 AM

Alright, so as I suspected bigger is better for learning and for my size, but is there such a thing as too big? I've seen boards as long as 179cm. Would it be easier to learn on a board that big and give me a bigger advantage than a 151cm?

Quote:
You might need your 15 when they are taking out 9s and 12s

And my size is the exact reason that I was confident that a 15m would be a good choice for my first LEI. I've asked questions before about bigger LEI's (18m and 20m) and many suggested that I stay away because of the small wind range and flight characteristics, but eventually I feel I'm going to need a larger LEI for the lower wind days.
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 07:06 AM

big, decent width 42cm +, LF proof 151,161 great board for the money esp. to start with.

you are gonna need solid wind 15-20 mph. and all of the 15m

151 should be fine just go on 15mph + days.

once you get this set up going its gonna be fast. a 15m fuel is a supercharged dump truck with out brakes! you need to be super comfortable in the water with this kite .
a deep power stroke with this kite in 20mph is a real nut check. be careful

but you will get use to it, promise

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 05:14 PM

Hey

Like everyone said bigger is better for learning. To get up and ride while learning a bigger flatter board will help.
After you learn to ride and try shorter boards you'll see the turn faster and make changing directions easier, but to learn a longer wide board will do.
I'm 160 and learned on a 161 pickle fork.
Try to find something big and cheap so if you lose it or break it it's no big loss.
I was so happy to be up and riding when I learned, I sometimes ignored the fact I was being pulled downwind and ended up hitting bottom on the beach.

Good Luck
John
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 05:36 PM

Twin-tip or directional?
IMO bigger will get you up riding sooner but apparently, you'll grow out of it sooner too ...
I own a North Sumo 155x45 and I think it's too small for me to learn on ... I got up nicely with the Phantom 15 on the Sumo but the winds were fierce and we know how that ended - I got arcstratred :(
My first real riding day was on a Airush 174 TT and it was good ... I'm trying to get a bigger board now for the learning ... I'm about your weight too, maybe more

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
mgatc

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 06:22 PM

Take a look at the Slingshot Jarvis posted by Jaymzmn. Sounds like a great starter board and the price is tough to beat!

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=10701

HQ: Scout 3m, Neo 11m, Neo 8m
PL: Scorpion 10m
Cabrinha: 12m Switchblade, 16m Crossbow
SU-2 Bigfoot, Liquid Force Proof 151, Klein 145
MBS Comp 90 Landboard
Flexifoil Buggy
Mystic Waist/Seat Harness
2 DIY Plyboards

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio