Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scorpion Vs. Venom Vs. Venom II
flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 04:35 PM
Scorpion Vs. Venom Vs. Venom II

This weekend I was able to fly the scorp, venom and V2 back to back in good winds. I thought I would post a comparison between all of them.

Wind was 15mph.

Turning- The scorpion and the venom 2 were both 13m in size and they turn almost exactly the same speed. I think the scorpion is turn on its pivot a little faster than the venom2 though. Its really hard to tell because it is that close. the venom was a 16m and turned a little slower just because of its size, but it wasn't a "slow turner" by any means.

De-power- while letting each of the three kites sit at the zenith, I found the scorpion had a little more depower. It didn't feel like there was as much pressure put on my body. However, I think the venoms were a little more stabe while sitting at the zenith than the scorpion.

Grunt/pull- This is where i think the venoms out performed the scorpion. the venoms felt like they just wanted to pull you forward and they could take you faster on the board. they were really grunty. This is not a perfect comparison since i had the vpc setting on the scorpion set to more depower. It might have made a huge difference if i changed that, but i'm just writing what i felt according to how i had the kites set up.

Jumping/Lift- All of these kites have amazing lift, but the difference is how the lift is pulls you. The scorpion is obviously a freestyle kite and has more depower so you can build more tension when loading for a jump. Its lift is almost all vertical lift with little carry downwind. The venoms also had great lift, and the bar pressure seemed higher on them. The venoms would be easy to learn with because they let you know when it's time to jump according to the power build up on the bar pressure. Since the venoms are more grunty they tend to carry you further downwind, but they also seem to have a little more float in them as well.

Overview- Both of these kites would be great for ATB. It seems that the venom is a little more user friendly. The scorpion is probably better for freestyle since your jumps take you more vertical without moving you fast down the field while in the air. Although, the venoms have more float, you may have more time to finish a trick.

All in all it was a perfect session with a bunch of friends. I hope to do it soon.

Knolee

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 05:45 PM

Does the venom II have a 5th line?

14m Eclipse Thruster
10m Best Nemesis HP

GI AK103
North Youngblood 129
Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 05:47 PM

The Venom is an arc, not an LEI. It doesn't need a fifth line. The design is entirely different.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 05:51 PM

tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 06:50 PM

great review Fly.............................you basically nailed it..........................grunt to the Venoms due to A/R, lighter bar pressure to the Scorp (VPC bridal).................the 13m V is my fav so far but i have a 10m Syn coming tomorrow so.............................................cant go wrong with any in your lineup.......................:thumbup::thumbup::lol::lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Knolee

[*] posted on 30-11-2009 at 06:53 PM

Just a heads up, because its out of my price range and I won't get it, there is a guy on facebook in the UK thats selling a new 13 or 12 (cant remember) venom II with bar lines and harness for 493 (300 UK pounds). U2U me for the rest of the info. Shipping is gonna be a killer probably.

14m Eclipse Thruster
10m Best Nemesis HP

GI AK103
North Youngblood 129
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

Mood: Throw caution to the wind.

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 08:39 AM

Thanks for the review flyjump. Very cool man!!

Kites:PL Hornet 2.0m, 15m Synergy
Dakine Pyro Harness
Rides: MBS Comp 16 Pro, Sector9 Longboard, Forum Snowboard
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 1-12-2009 at 10:42 AM

very nice FLY! what buffet of fun!

V16 definitely big and slow compared to a V13m. but STRONG on airs for sure.

Venom I without the pulleys has more bar pressure. it does give nice feedback thru the bar when loaded for a jump. as the airspeed picks up its amazingly sensitive and powerful.

cool stuff on the vintage rides!

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Feyd
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 05:58 PM

Was this a bone stock Scorp or with the new pigtails?

Also what length bar were you using.

Just curious. My expirience has been that the 13m Scorp has more power and out turns the V2 in a given size.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 07:28 PM

Stock scorpion 13m on 50cm twinskin bar. Straps set to full power vpc on full depower. Will try the pigtails as soon as the wind is up

flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 07:36 PM

It tends to stall out since I didn't have those new pigtails on yet. It sounds like it'll act like a better kite once they're set

Feyd
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 04:06 AM

Oh man, just you wait.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio