Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting Started...Direction
Txshooter38

Mood: Coast or Bust!

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 05:47 PM
Getting Started...Direction

I just started flying power kites about two months ago. I have logged about 10 hours of flying and can say I am truly hooked. I have bought two kites so far. (HQ 250 RUSH and HQ Beamer 4.0) I think my wife and I want to progress to KiteBoarding in the end but really would like to take a sensible route to get there.

Could someone please help use with a route to get there? Obviously we need to log substantial flight time. We live inland in south central Texas with gusty winds and some water nearby. I do not know of any classes close by and seem to be on my own on learning how to do this.

I have thought about buying a land board (looks pretty kick ass) to try to learn some of the skills necessary to do the same on water. We are not ignorant to the powers of the kite and we really wish to progress responsibly.

I do not want to make this post to long....more details available upon request....we love this sport and would really benefit from some guidance.

Curtis

Currently flying:
Beamer IV 2m, 3m, 4m
Ozone Flow 5M
PL Vibe 1.3
Synergy 12m
Flysurfer 19m DLX
HQ Apex III 7.5
PL Twister 7.7m--Just plain sick...

Driving:
Peter Lynn Buggy
GI Landboard
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 06:14 PM

welcome Tex, nice to hear that you and your wife love this sport. There are plenty of KBers on here to assist you.

Me, I'm more into the land based traction sports. so I can't help ya w/ KBing. However, I do KGB and buggy alot,and I can fly the heck out of a foil . I think we have some kind folks in TX that may be close enough for yall ( yeah, I grew up in Dallas) to get up with. There is nothing like hands on training w/ an experienced flyer to get ya started .
have fun, be safe WG

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

Hardrock

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 06:30 PM

The route I took was the buggy. I figured to do something kite powered, this would be the easy way to learn.

Still have the bug and hope to use it but it wasn't as easy as I thought. Mostly due to the lack of space.

I may be corrected, but the board seemed to add more elements to the process. Like staying on it and the wind would have to be closer to what your kite set up needs every time you try. Falling from a board I think would be rougher than being pulled out of a buggy. Not trying to change your mind, just putting that out there.

It seems your looking at the boards to help transition to water so the bugs might not be an option.

A harness will be a step in the right direction and give you more flying time when the wind is right.

Not much help but I can't stand to see an unanswered post just sitting there and waiting.
:smilegrin:

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
Hardrock

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 06:31 PM

woops, weldngod has slipped one in.

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
Txshooter38

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 06:42 PM

Thanks you guys. You are right....the buggy has not escaped our attention. It seems that it would take one element out of the learning equation(the balance) ....and reduce it to simply the kite flying. This makes sense to me as well. I just don't know of anywhere around me to be able to drive a buggy. I guess the closest is the gulf coast w/ a four hour drive.

The board appears to take a little less space (is this true?) so it might be easier to find a spot. My wife and I already Wakeboard and that is why I was leaning toward the board. I am not set on anything right know and ANY input is greatly appreciated.

We just know that this sport really appears to be for us. We have both done some skydiving and boarding so this seems to be a great combination that is fiscally responsible. (p.s. skydiving is really expensive)

Curtis

Currently flying:
Beamer IV 2m, 3m, 4m
Ozone Flow 5M
PL Vibe 1.3
Synergy 12m
Flysurfer 19m DLX
HQ Apex III 7.5

Driving:
Peter Lynn Buggy
GI Landboard
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 06:53 PM

If you have enough room to fly and landboard , you can buggy. You just have to whip the rear end around in a slide instead of a big half circle. But you need enough room for the length of the lines, so your kite is not in danger of crashing into obstacles. That seems to be the biggest limitation I have. Sometimes when the wind aint right, I make little50 ft runs and tack.I don't go very fast but I get to slide alot and tack upwind like a sailboat. It does help your skillz alot.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 07:23 PM

I'm one of those guys who is taking the looooooooong route to kiteboarding... Lots of reasons why I'm not jumping on the water right away, but the biggest reason is that I like the kite more than I want to get on the water. Just flying a kite for awhile static on the beach keeps me happy, and so that's enough... for a while.

In general tho the slowest way to go is static / buggy / landboard / kiteboard on the water... At each step there's a new set of skills to take on board and learn so by the time you make the final jump to the water you've got most of the skills you need.

The fastest way is to spend a lot of money on lessons and the user-friendly stable LEI the lesson place will most likely recommend.

But I like learning and teaching myself, even if the progress is uber slow, so the step-by-step progression works for me (even tho now it looks like I'll be skipping the bug on the way to ATB) and the beach time is always time well spent.

Both approaches, and the whole range in between fast / expensive / more risky and slow / cheap / less risky, are a matter of personal choice and inclination....

just an opinion, not advice really, hope it helps tho...

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
Txshooter38

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 07:31 PM

That is a good bit of info to have....I will maybe look around at some buggies to get started with. Do you think my Beamer 4.0 is enough kite for this? The harness seems that it would be a good addition for this. Does it have to have a pulley set up or just the "j" shaped hook for the stroop that connects the handles? I have seen a pulley in some picks of people's harnesses.

Again...please forgive me I as am new to this and still trying to figure out the terminology and manners in which you use the equipment.

As I understand a de-power kite is more ideal for handling gusts (I think) as you can adjust the power "on the fly" as gusts occur. This may be my next kite for this reason if my info is correct.

Curtis

Currently flying:
Beamer IV 2m, 3m, 4m
Ozone Flow 5M
PL Vibe 1.3
Synergy 12m
Flysurfer 19m DLX
HQ Apex III 7.5

Driving:
Peter Lynn Buggy
GI Landboard
furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 07:47 PM

a pulley is a lot nicer than a hook for use with a strop (the line connecting your handles) but a hook kinda works, will wear out your strop in a hurry.

your beamer 4.0 is plenty for a buggy, but you'll soon want more. Buggiers seem to be the most comfortable with FB kites, ATB / KB / snowkite folks less so.

i'd get something to help you hold an edge and move on the ground first, then get the depower second.

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 07:52 PM

TX, no apologies needed here Bro', that's what the PKF is here for. We are not brand or style oriented. You can thank Mr. Bob Childs for this wonderful site. It is his gift to the kiting community.
I buggy most w/ a 4.7 Flexifoil Rage. It has taken me to speeds that scared the crap outta me, so 4M will get ya going for a bit . before you know it you will have kites a plenty. You dont have to use a harness or pulley. 98% of the time I buggy w/ just handles. If I use a race kite ,then I will use a harness and strop, cause they make my arms feel like they are being pulled off. And some will say that I have no racekites, but I have 3 that are way powerful.
Tx , if you come hang online w/ us for a while you will learn alot of important info. There are some really cool folks on here, and we all share one love......Flying

WELDNGOD on VIMEO

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

Txshooter38

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 08:11 PM

Clear. FB=Fixed Bridle right? Meaning a kite that cannot de-power yes??? Again, still working through the terminology.

Should I learn to scud first or move straight to the buggy? Something that moves (buggy/landboard) does really sound like fun.

Man I really want to give moving with a kite...I currently wakeboard, mountain bike, sportbike...I am totally stoked to get rolling....but I do want to be careful about getting ahead of myself and doing something stupid.

Curtis

Currently flying:
Beamer IV 2m, 3m, 4m
Ozone Flow 5M
PL Vibe 1.3
Synergy 12m
Flysurfer 19m DLX
HQ Apex III 7.5

Driving:
Peter Lynn Buggy
GI Landboard
markite
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 09:41 PM

another take on your whole progression to kiteboarding. The first thing (which it sounds like you are doing) is learn to fly a kite inside out first. You want to have all the instincts down to natural reactions for what your kite is doing and it really helps with whatever you are doing if you don't need to always watch your kite - watch what you are doing and direction you are going and develop the board skills.

Years ago traction kiters would start most things underpowered and work their way up. Kiteboarding needs to start with enough power to get you up on plane or it'll be a useless struggle. So knowing all of your kites safety systems and being well prepared is the first step - and know your limits but it doesn't mean you need to be afraid it can be quite easy and under the right circumstances.

For people with snow, winter is a great learning experience. If you ride a snowboard it's very similar to riding a twintip. We often have crazy winter winds so once you get through that learning curve the water is very easy.

Some friends have board experience on the water (windsurf/wakeboard/skimboard etc) and it does help a little strictly in terms of what it feels like to stand on something sliding on water. With no experience it takes a bit to figure out your balance so you don't face plant and you will spend quite a bit of time doing downwinders until you feel comfortable enough to start playing with your body position to find out what it does for edging the board etc.

Kites have come a long way in the last few years, LEI's handle better and easily relaunch and have good depower and safety systems. Twinskins have the auto zenith which also help in quite a few ways. Once you know launching and landing your kite you want a kite that delivers a good steady power so don't start underpowered and don't start on gusty days. And pick a good location with favourable water conditions and downwind space and landing zone. Start with friends. With kite experience under your belt and starting on a day with excellent conditions you should be able to get up on your board riding in one day but it might be short downwind runs and a bit of flowndering but you'll get a good feel for it and then the learning curve is quite quick.

Anyway this is getting way ahead of the get out flying, develop your skills and the common sense that you'll carry forward - Have Fun - it's all good.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
dylanj423
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 10:50 PM

where in texas are you? there are almost certainly kiters nearby....

WHAT I FLY:
Flysurfer Soul v2 12m, Soul 15m, Soul v2 21m

Flexi Rage 1.8m, Jojo RM 3m, Flexi Blurr 3.5, Flexi Blade 4.0m, Flexi Blade 4.9m, Flexi Blurr 5, Jojo RM 6m

WHAT I RIDE:
Kite Skates, Libre Full Race, GI Conflict 106, OR Mako 140, Spleene Door 159

What I Am In The Market For: Peter Lynn Vapors, Weatherproof Kite Buggy Bag for Libre, PL or Flexi Small Buggy to Tow With, Flexi Pro Link Handles, Flexi Lines, Flexi Kite Killers
Txshooter38

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 09:43 PM

I am in south central Texas near San Antonio. I have spent a good amount of time at the local lakes and have never seen anyone kiteboarding. That does not particularly rule out any riders nearby....I just have no clue how to find any. I am with you all...it would be really great to find someone who knows what they are doing to get going.

Curtis

Currently flying:
Beamer IV 2m, 3m, 4m
Ozone Flow 5M
PL Vibe 1.3
Synergy 12m
Flysurfer 19m DLX
HQ Apex III 7.5

Driving:
Peter Lynn Buggy
GI Landboard
action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 09:56 PM

Your only 2 hrs from corpus! Thats were you want to go to learn. also check out www.centexkiteboarding.com .....aj

Ocean Rodeo Razors 8,10,12
Ocean Rodeo 5\'11 Surf series
PL Arcs 6,15m orange Phantoms 10,19m Venom 16m proto scorp ,synergy 12,
NPW\'s .5,2.8,6.9 and 15m skytex
145x49 crazy fly,Decay 142x42,aboards z- series 135x40
Pl xr+ buggy , Pl Kitecat hull #5
www.kittyhawkkites.com
www.wavesvillage.com
www.thekitexpo.com

\"Holding it down, since 20 knots!\"
Txshooter38

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 11:31 PM

Thanks for the link. You guys on here are way cool and I REALLY appreciate the help. I flew my beamer for the first time today and it rocked. It really pulls a lot harder than my rush 250. I cannot wait to get out on some type of mobile platform. My next project is to learn how to wind up the lines w/o twisting them (especially on the 4 line beamer) and go fly some more.....much more maneuverability on the four line and I think the harness is really sounding like a good idea. I got worn out today and the winds were light!

Curtis

Currently flying:
Beamer IV 2m, 3m, 4m
Ozone Flow 5M
PL Vibe 1.3
Synergy 12m
Flysurfer 19m DLX
HQ Apex III 7.5

Driving:
Peter Lynn Buggy
GI Landboard
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 09:24 AM

Line Winding Tutorial

This is a good place to start on the line winding. You are making some simple mistakes that are easy to correct.

I too am a wakeboarder/waterskier that progressed to kiteboarding. I'll say that the buggy was HUGE in teaching me about the wind and the kite. If you can get the buggy to go where you want it to, then you won't be thinking about that stuff on the water. Another thing is that you should have enough control of the kite to be able to scud along until you can't stand the pull any longer. I've never felt comfortable scudding on grass but have scudded over a hundred feet continuously on beach sand. A baseball diamond that is bare dirt would work fine too if you can find that nearby. We'll help you out here all you need. We love having new addicts.:wee:

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio