Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Century II 2.8m
John Holgate
Posting Freak

Mood: Cruising...

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 06:39 PM
Century II 2.8m

Only had a couple hours with this, but I thought I'd post a video and share a few thoughts on the kite so far....

Lines and handles - nope, supply your own.

Bag - just a bag. And only just big enough too!

Kite - this is where all your money goes! The standard material is very nice. The kite seems very well made and reinforced. Quite thin, 32 cells and color coded bridles. Quite long bridles actually.

Being thin (this is my first 'high aspect' kite), you need to keep it moving and force the air into it. It's not made for static flying (although I've had a couple of great sessions doing just that) and it will fly clean out of the window and luff if your not paying attention. It responds very well to flying on the front lines. a touch of brake to speed the turns up - not too much, or you may squeeze all the air out of it and stall it. Or stall half of it with a resulting spin.

So it's a little trickier to fly than the low aspect Flow's & Beamer's and the like. BUT, it rewards you with FAR more power. I was tearing up and down my paddock with this the other night in winds that would not have got me going with my 4m Beamer. It's very smooth in it's power delivery. It did bow-tie on me a few times, but as I said, this is my first high-aspect kite and it will take me a little while to adjust. I had no problem getting to all corners of my paddock, so upwind isn't an issue. It's reasonably stable and friendly.

I must say I am extremely impressed with the Century II. It makes my other similar sized low aspect kites feel much, much smaller! And it's a hell of a lot of fun. Here's some vid of it's first beach run.

Century II at Torquay Beach

much later edit: after a couple of beach runs, I was a little surprised that the Cent II doesn't sit further forward in the window. On a long run, there's noticeable side pull - which I wasn't expecting. It's an absolute blast in the paddock but not at it's best as a beach cruiser.

Libre Vmax, Alloy Vermin buggy.
Ozone Access/Method/Riot/Imps/
Born-Kite Nasa Star 2's & 3. Born-Kite Long Star 3,5,7m. Peak 2 6m.
My Music is available here: http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=jbholga...
And here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnHolgate
YouTube vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/quedecree?feature=mhee
heliboy50

Mood: Unreliable, but full of good intentions

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 08:00 PM

keep 'em moving. I would like to try one of these to compare it to an original cent. Later this summer maybe. Nice review, BTW.

Aim low. Reach your goals, and avoid disappointment.

Flying--Peter Lynn
Riding--Corsair QAR
NAPKA #US 666

__P1__ and one really big Ozone in the other closet
bigkid
Posting Freak

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 09:28 PM

Nice revue John, it's good to see another with a Soulfly. I haven't tried the 2.8 yet but I can only imagine.
I have found the same thing as you did with the bow tie and flying past the window. It does like a tad bit of brake. The solution for me was to up the wind speed and the kite will take on a whole new life. If you like the kite now you will love it in more wind.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 01:31 AM

i just love your beach. lucky guy.

with any race kite, fly it low on shorties and let it stay far infront of you. the less brake you have the faster the kite is, but also the trade off is that you'll also have more ability to apply brake if you need to. adding brake, causes drag but gives you a little more stability when turning.

heliboy50

Mood: Unreliable, but full of good intentions

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 03:02 AM

Small hijack, but rip what lengths would you generally use per size? I am curious about this and trying to set up for NABX. John, what were you using? 20m? I have flown my 2.5 profoil on 18m's and really liked the way it felt.

Aim low. Reach your goals, and avoid disappointment.

Flying--Peter Lynn
Riding--Corsair QAR
NAPKA #US 666

__P1__ and one really big Ozone in the other closet
John Holgate
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 03:31 AM

I was using 18m Ozone lines.

It's certainly going take me a little while to adjust to. I'm generally trying to keep it low when up to speed. (although, with dogs, children and general beach goers, it does tend to spend a fair bit of the time fairly high up in the window). what do you think the best turning method is? I've been bringing the kite slowly up and then down turning it - seems to work reasonably well although I'm still feeling my way with the timing of the turn.

My Music is available here: http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=jbholga...
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Holgate
I was using 18m Ozone lines.

It's certainly going take me a little while to adjust to. I'm generally trying to keep it low when up to speed. (although, with dogs, children and general beach goers, it does tend to spend a fair bit of the time fairly high up in the window). what do you think the best turning method is? I've been bringing the kite slowly up and then down turning it - seems to work reasonably well although I'm still feeling my way with the timing of the turn.

@ Heli, i prefer 15m in all sizes, some may find that a little too short. 18m is the normal nowadays. ive never had a reason to go longer than 18m for NABX. its just easier to manage a kite in those winds closer to you than 25m out. if there is a reason i need to put the kite up top, its going to take longer on long lines. only at SOBB did I have the want to go upto 25m.

@Mr Speed Holgate
based on your video
~2:16, thats how I normally slow down (kite near top produces the least pull)... bring the kite up and down turn the kite. a down loop is faster than a up loop, but if you trying to slow down faster than the up loop would help you achieve that.

~4:10 / ~4:25, your turn looks fine to me, it could be tighter for a racey SF II. I find that I use more brake input than arm movement. Since you down loop already its already got speed behind it so guiding with brake control just helps it along faster. I see you're fingers are over the top side more, helpful in turning would be to slide your hand lower a bit so you can feel out the brake more.

*excuse the kid hands*

Static Flying / No Harness

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/ripsessionkites/Misc/I...

In the Buggy / depending on kite, ill hold below Power.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/ripsessionkites/Misc/I...

~4:34 i fly normally at that height, i just like keeping it low just incase I was in trouble, I can easily push to the kite to the edge of the window to reduce any pull and drift speed off.

i hope to ride with you soon somewhere, anywhere. :wee:

lesson over, i need to get riding sooner than later. all this typing is making me jealous. hurry up NABX.

John Holgate
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 08:24 PM

Thanks RIP, I'll keep that in mind. Got to get a good handle on my drifting too. Starting to get the feel for it - I tend to push things very slowly. Although I'm starting to realise that I can throw the buggy sideways at 40km/hr and nothing bad happens - I just come to a stop. (just got to make sure I don't hit anything when I do it....touch wood)

herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 07:05 AM

it would be great to read a review of the low wind characteristics of a large century II in 8 or 10 sqm !

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
bigkid
Posting Freak

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 07:21 AM

anyone have a 8 or 10 besides me?
I think Bladerunner tried one out at SOBB.
Don't hold your breath, but I will try to get something wrote up in a few days

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 07:27 AM

that would be awesome! and - could you maybe weight the 10 sqm centuryII on a kitchen scale?

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio