Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Smells like new ripstop.....Unpacked the Phantom 18 today!
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 14-2-2010 at 11:48 PM
Smells like new ripstop.....Unpacked the Phantom 18 today!

Well, I had hastily rolled up the P15 yesterday to launch the Access so when I hit the lake today it had to come out. Winds were lighter than yesterday and all around me I saw nothing but big Flysurfers (12-14m) all looking docile. Packed the P15 up nice and went to the car. The wind had been gusty like yesterday and they were just creeping over the kite's max for me but the steady wind was easily within the P18 so I figured what better time to flash some new bright yellow than when there was a crowd of FSers around?

Bright, white, beautiful belly and an even brighter yellow Phantom on the other side. It's not my first new kite - the Access took that cherry from me - BUT it was something special to pull the plastic baggie off of a kite that was packed with loving care at the PL factory so many years ago.

My thoughts? The winds were not ideal and diminishing as per the forecast but enough to launch positively and get out ripping it up (40km/h worth of ripping anyway) for at least a few precious moments. I could have sworn I was flying the 15.

I was expecting it to be even noodlier (new word), even more prone to tip clapping, twisting, and general "needs a sedative until it's filled and flying". Not the case. I was surprised even just from the ground appearance. I really did expect a long, thin noodle.

A good prefill and it peeled off the ground beyond expectations and held well in the lulls while I jacked around for the skis. In the lulls she opened her arms wide and floated gently until the lines tensioned up to bring her back to shape, didn't look like it wanted to roll over forward, just drifted back lazily until the winds came back a touch.

So I set off only to have a big roadblock greet me. One landing and another dude just packing up - his lines outstretched......a 50m roadblock. I carefully made my way downwind and the Phanny held despite cheating the wind from it. Got around the lines, swung her down and out and off I went turning heads at the "that's a kite I haven't seen out here before" lookee loo's.

The kite was strong but steady, absorbing gusts and lulls in true Arc fashion. Good power in marginal winds, stable and controllable when the gusts hit. I guess because it's larger it doesn't surge forward quite as much as the 15 does in the sharp wind changes. I swear that it felt so much like the 15 I was tempted to crank it around a bit but restrained my urges until I get to know the kite but I have a feeling it's gonna be just that - just like the 15. Everything else sure was.

Even in the lulls if I overflew it it just stretched out, drifted back and let me catch it with a gentle nudge on the right line at the right time to help coax it back into shape. A little pumping on the bar when needed to keep it flying forward and all was good.

The wind dropped off and it meant four or five hot launches from right down"wind" and a struggle to keep inflated enough while flying enough to keep enough power to get home but I'm happy to report that I made it and brought that menacing ghost down mere feet from the FS tent (which, ironically, was no different than a tube kite....even inflated by a kitesurfing pump....) :ninja:

I'll cut up some of the video sometime in the near future but it's not much to see other than the prelaunch, launch and land. The sun was bright and side on and since the kite was so white you'd be hard pressed to tell it from the Guerilla.

Next step - the STACK!

Phanny.jpg - 118kB

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
arkay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-2-2010 at 11:54 PM

Crispy :thumbup: What were the winds blowing?

US503 - Manzanita, Oregon

Fixed Bridal: Flexifoil Sting 1.2, 1.7; Rage Acid 2.5m, 3.5m, 4.7m, 6m | Peter Lynn Vapor 11.2m, 16.1m | NPW 7m
Depower : Peter Lynn Venom 2 13m, 16m, 19m | Peter Lynn Phantom 15m | Flysurfer 2.5 SA 19m
LEI : Flexifoil Atom 7m, 9m, 12m; Mutiny 8m
Land rides : Libre Hardcore; Libre v-max; Peter Lynn XR+W | Rollerblade Coyotes! | Ground Industries AK Pro
Water rides : Slingshot Misfit 134; Ocean Rodeo Mako 150; North WAM! 5\'10

4 Sale/Trade: HQ M1 5m, Flysurfer Pulse 10, PL Venom 2 16m, PL Venom 19m

Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 12:20 AM

Ooh nice ... me want too :thumbup: I am coveting your kite, your ox, your ass and your wife :o oh wait what?

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
WolfWolfee

Mood: Blessed with Wind

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 06:21 AM

sweet, we had winds the last to days at the 25 km + and me with a bummed up shoulder. Love to see the beast in the air must look good

3M Legend
4.9M Reactor
9.5M Sabre
16M Scorpion
18M Guerilla
Flexi Bug & 661 Armor & Giro Helmet
herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 07:02 AM

Quote:

I'll cut up some of the video sometime in the near future but it's not much to see other than the prelaunch, launch and land. The sun was bright and side on and since the kite was so white you'd be hard pressed to tell it from the Guerilla.

please, this is exactly what i am most interested in! prelaunch, launch and land! can you maybe send me your video per mail / PM ? or would you soon cut and post it?

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 07:16 AM

fresh!

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 09:30 AM

I had a day with my Phantom and then the next day Angus showed up and with our very light winds he got out his 18. Same plastic and careful packing years ago as yours. I commented that day that it felt just like flying the 15 but didn't need as much wind. I'd pick one up if given the chance.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
lad
Posting Freak

Mood: chilling...literally...

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 10:25 AM

I haven't been out in all this slush at all, (and I have no gear or experience in snow kiting).

After reading this... I now know how one of those heavy, lonely chicks staying home on a Saturday night reading a paperback romance feels... :no:
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-2-2010 at 06:23 PM

I had a dream last night that I found a webpage that was selling brand new Phantom 18s for $190 ... wonder what Freud would say about that :lol:

stetson05
Posting Freak

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
I had a dream last night that I found a webpage that was selling brand new Phantom 18s for $190 ... wonder what Freud would say about that :lol:

Freud would want you to tell me the address. I am pretty sure of that.:saint::smilegrin::smilegrin:

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 12:42 AM

Y'know ... that's the one thing I don't remember. I do remember though that I dreamed it was the same one that Macboy used and I was stoked they still had stock and would ship to Japan :lol:

-mj-

Mood: kite + longboard = awesomeness

[*] posted on 18-2-2010 at 07:36 AM

Very fresh!
That would probably be the last one ever sold brandnew, enjoy!

Love to see more pics btw

Marijn Tijhof,
Peter Lynn Kitesports
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 18-2-2010 at 09:28 AM

Nope. Believe it or not there were a few more after this one made it's way to me (even CHEAPER too!...but at this point in history it's not about the money :lol:) I think Rip had a line on a couple of them too.

Quite neat...everything was there just like time capsule....the sticks in the Phantom retail bag, the kite wrapped all nicely in plastic, the drisorb pack in the bottom with the neatly folded bag extension.

I should try to grab a pic of the basement now for you....I've got the 15, the 18, the Access and the Rage all strung out still :lol:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 18-2-2010 at 08:56 PM

Man just reading that I could smell the fresh packaging as you described opening it. Sure would be a site to see it up in the air, yet would almost be tempting to think if I just keep it here it will stay brand new for a while longer. Almost like not wanting to eat that first meal in a brand new car :lol:

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio