Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Prism Tensor 4.2
laker54

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 01:35 PM
Prism Tensor 4.2

I just got my Tensor 4.2 in the mail today!
I couldn't wait for better wind so I ran out and put it up.
0-8 and when it was flying well it was great.
This is my first foil power kite so I don't have alot to compare it to at the moment. Took me about 3 minutes to set up and have flying out of the box, and that was with 8 inches of snow on the ground. The pull when the kite started to power up was amazing. I can't wait till the snow is gone for some scudding around. I will try and get some pics and videos up as soon as a good chance comes along.
Another post had wondered if this would become a hot new beginner kite. I must say even with the little info I could find about the kite I really liked it and now that I've had it in the air definitely no disappointment!
revpaul

Mood: let\'s boogie

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 01:48 PM

not trying to get my dirty little mits on your kite...just wondering where u are located. still have 8" of snow so i'm guessing you are northerner like me (leduc/edmonton alberta).

PKD-0.7m Buster, 1.4m Buster, 1.8m Century
HQ-Beamer III 3m
PL-Reactor 3.8m, Reactor II 6.9m
Ozone-IGNITION 1.6m, Little Devil 4.5m, 7.3m Frenzy
Pansh-Sprint Ltd Ed 5m, 7m Ace
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
FS- Pulse2 12m, Speed 1.5 17m, lots of Revs and dual line stunters
Sirocco Sprint 4.2, 5.2 -SIROCCOx 5.2-
laker54

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 02:18 PM

Upstate NY. Up in the snow belt. Were in the midst of a thaw. But it will be short lived. It will be a couple of months yet before the snow is clear and the ground doesn't feel like a sponge :P
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 02:54 PM

Really shouldn't be looking at the Tensors, as any size Tensor would overlap with kites that are already in the quiver, but I still find myself eyeing the 4.2 periodically. :rolleyes:

Ooooh... my birthday is just around the corner. :saint:

Whatever happens, I rest easy knowing that I can blame it on Kamikuza :ninja:

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:01 PM

I have the same problem Wolf. I don't have any holes in my quiver that the Tensors could fill, but I still want one.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:06 PM

Is two enough to form a support group? ;)

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
lad
Posting Freak

Mood: chilling...literally...

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:07 PM

I wonder if they'll be Tensor demos out a NABX?
Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:07 PM

Both Kent and Corey carry them, I'm sure you could talk one of them into doing a demo...

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 05:11 PM

The Tensor is a pretty darn sweeeeeet machine! The bag rocks - I wish I could get a bunch of the bags and put my other kites in them. The way Prism designed the bag, it flops open like surgeon opening up his tools to do surgery! Pockets are sewn into each of the bags "wings" to hold your spare parts, linesets, handles, watch, tools, etc... The bag then unzips right down the center to unveil the kite - totally separate from the rest of the gear.

The most unique thing about the Tensor is that it comes with a convertible control bar system that can change from a center line control bar to quad line handles in a couple minutes. Perfect for people who buggy and board but don't want to fork out extra for two control systems. The extra zippered pockets in the bag make it so that you don't have to worry bout losing any of the parts.

I have all Tensor sizes in stock. I will also have my personal ones for anyone who wants to take them for a ride.

Here's a link for anyone wanting more info on the Tensors.
http://www.awindofchange.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&am...

Can't wait for NABX!!!

PNW Flyer

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by awindofchange
The Tensor is a pretty darn sweeeeeet machine! The bag rocks - I wish I could get a bunch of the bags and put my other kites in them. The way Prism designed the bag, it flops open like surgeon opening up his tools to do surgery! Pockets are sewn into each of the bags "wings" to hold your spare parts, linesets, handles, watch, tools, etc... The bag then unzips right down the center to unveil the kite - totally separate from the rest of the gear.

The most unique thing about the Tensor is that it comes with a convertible control bar system that can change from a center line control bar to quad line handles in a couple minutes. Perfect for people who buggy and board but don't want to fork out extra for two control systems. The extra zippered pockets in the bag make it so that you don't have to worry bout losing any of the parts.

I have all Tensor sizes in stock. I will also have my personal ones for anyone who wants to take them for a ride.

Here's a link for anyone wanting more info on the Tensors.
http://www.awindofchange.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&am...

Can't wait for NABX!!!

I'm up there with everyone else now.....UG want 5 meter.:singing:

I'm curious on the bag. Is it a bag or backpack like the Beamers?

Beamer III 1.4
Beamer IV 3.0
Beamer V 5.0
Prism Tensor 4.2
Prism Tensor 5.0
Lots of Revs. and dual line stunt kites
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 08:15 PM

"Rugged backpack converts to duffel bag for easy handling with room for accessories and kites."

It's a little hard to tell, because almost all the promo pick obscure the shoulder straps.

With the compression straps undone, I believe the bags opens almost totally flat.

There is a pic here:
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=12708

ATB,
Sam

PNW Flyer

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by indigo_wolf
"Rugged backpack converts to duffel bag for easy handling with room for accessories and kites."

It's a little hard to tell, because almost all the promo pick obscure the shoulder straps.

With the compression straps undone, I believe the bags opens almost totally flat.

There is a pic here:
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=12708

ATB,
Sam

Saw that link already. Thanks.

I was hoping someone that owns one would be willing to share info or a pic that is more detailed?

You're right about the promo picks too. They don't show detail but make mention of conversion to backpack.

Beamer III 1.4
Beamer IV 3.0
Beamer V 5.0
Prism Tensor 4.2
Prism Tensor 5.0
antiocles

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 06:49 AM

Nice kite. Like probably everyone else I thought, "A Prism power kite? That will suck. . ." when it first came out.

Highly recommended kite for beginners due to the bar/handle combo. I've been very impressed with it. Lets them try both and learn quite nicely. I bought it to start teaching the wife.

Kite has a tendency to collapse a little at the edges (not to an alarming degree), and the ability to select 3 bridle settings is nice (although on one of them I could barley fly it). Seems to be normal pull or little/no pull. Definitely prefers the bar over the handles.

The bag is nice, but definitely not what you'd call compact. Only real complain about it is that the sizing straps will need to be cut down. They are way too long. Here are some pics. For size comparison, leaned it up against the wheel on a Toyota minivan.

Ant

PNW Flyer

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 12:03 AM

Ant,

Good job!! Exactly what I needed to see!!

That's the size bag for a 4.2 or are they all the same size???Wow!!! Seems like overkill. I mean the backpack my 3.0 comes with has boatloads more room for at least 2 more kites and doesn't come close to as huge as this thing looks like.

Thanks for the pics and the feedback too :thumbup:

Beamer III 1.4
Beamer IV 3.0
Beamer V 5.0
Prism Tensor 4.2
Prism Tensor 5.0
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 09:55 AM

You could probably stuff 2 or even 3 kites into one bag, with 3 bars and handles. 3 would be a little tight but very possible. The bag is awesome looking and very attractive. I like it much nicer than the simple backpacks - but hey, your not going to fly the bag. LOL

The kite is also very nice looking in the air. The colors are awesome and they really stand out.

DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 10:18 AM

I got this kite out the other day and it flew very good. The bag is so large because it comes with the bar together and all the lines are attached. A true pull out of the bag and fly set up! If you break the bar down to handles everything will fit in half of the bag. So you can stuff other kites in there or simply fold it in half.

The kite flew well on the bar. In fact I was impressed for a fixed bridle kite on a bar. As always though I prefer the handles. We did have to make adjustments to the power line leaders when we switched the handles to allow the brakes some slack. The 2 lower setting worked very well the day I flew it. The higher setting was tough, but it was still very stable. I didn't get a chance to take it for a spin in the buggy. I'm thinking the high setting will come into its own when you get it moving on wheels. An added bonus is it is a good looking kite! The lousy white that we look at on most of our kites is on the backside for everyone else to look at :thumbup: and we get to look at the nice colorful side.

Overall I was very happy with the kite and it went on my site today.
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by antiocles
Only real complain about it is that the sizing straps will need to be cut down. They are way too long. Here are some pics. For size comparison, leaned it up against the wheel on a Toyota minivan.

I am kind of glad to hear that the compressions straps are a tad on the long side. It's infinitely preferable to them being too short. I have at least one Prism bag where I wish the straps were longer than they are. Always need a reason to break out the hot knife and set things on fire. :o

ATB,
Sam

antiocles

[*] posted on 21-4-2010 at 08:11 PM

Sorry about missing a few details there. That is a size 3, not a 4. Also, when I was talking about the straps, I meant the ones that size the backpack straps. If you put them out to the largest size, an average sumo wrestler could probably wear it without much trouble. :-)

Ant
codde

[*] posted on 15-3-2011 at 10:05 AM

So I've been considering picking up the 4.2 tensor, but I was wondering what you guys use yours for. Is it good for just messing around on foot in a field? If so, do you have to be careful when its windy? Is it large enough to snowkite with on a windy day?

I've got a snapshot 2.5 right now, and its alot of fun but it isn't large enough to pull me on a board and its the older version so I can't convert it to a quad line and use as a trainer.
flash

[*] posted on 15-3-2011 at 03:10 PM

I like it and it's a great concept, but if you are interested in snowkiting/landboarding you should start working towards a depower. Especially if you have kite experience already and feel comfortable flying stuff. Several companies have small depowers if you feel uncomfortable jumping in on a 9.5m etc... (I know HQ has a Apex III 3m) I was able to generate enough power in strong winds to use it to pull me in a buggy, but it felt 'off' on a landboard. I didn't try it on snow because in all honestly it's too small for most of the areas I fly. The smallest I have flown on snow is a high aspect 5m. (tho the bag would be great!)
I loved it for teaching people on, and loved the concept of a convertible, but I couldn't help but feel like I could cut a third of the bridle lines and it would still fly the same. The bridling resembles more of what you might find on a paraglider, and maybe this is the trade off for having a convertible, but man.... it felt awkward after flying what I do.

Anyone else feel that way?

Beamer IV 1.4m, 2.0m, 4.0m, 5.0m
Crossfire 3.0m, 4.0m, 6.5m
Prodigy 6.0m
Neo II 8.0m, 11.0m
Apex III all of \'em
Montana V 9.5m, 12.5m,
Montana VI 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m
Kober
Posting Freak

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 15-3-2011 at 03:27 PM

My first kite was Tensor 3.1 ....
Love all about it .... except I broke my safety wrist leash 3 times in one month when playing with kite in strong wind .... Lots of power from that little thing ....

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
Kober
Posting Freak

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 15-3-2011 at 03:29 PM

///

P1050191 - Version 2.jpg - 150kB

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
flash

[*] posted on 17-3-2011 at 09:54 AM

I probably should of added that all of the landboarding I do is on grass, sand, or lake beds. So generally the rolling resistance/friction point requires a lot higher power ratio then the above picture. I can imagine that it would work well on something like that.

Beamer IV 1.4m, 2.0m, 4.0m, 5.0m
Crossfire 3.0m, 4.0m, 6.5m
Prodigy 6.0m
Neo II 8.0m, 11.0m
Apex III all of \'em
Montana V 9.5m, 12.5m,
Montana VI 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m
lolo

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 06:58 PM

Hey guys i dont want to be a bother. I just wanted to ask, if anyone was selling a tensor 4.2 ??

if you know anyone please let me know !!!
thank you !

fair-winds !
leo :Ange09:
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 08:09 AM

Please check the response in the other thread you posted to:
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=17762

If this is your first kite, what are typical winds in your area and how much do you weigh?

ATB,
Sam

chimchim

[*] posted on 22-7-2011 at 08:56 PM

I just got started with power kiting...its been like quicksand for me...the more I wiggle the deeper I get. I started out with an HQ symphony 2.1. That lasted about a month before I couldn't stand it anymore & got something bigger. Was stuck between a Beamer & a Tensor 4.2. The Tensor won. I don't have much to compare it to, but I am having a lot of fun with this kite. I weigh 180 lbs and I've been flying it in 8-12 knot winds and it pulls like a mother. Starting to get the hang of skudding. I LOVE THIS KITE!!!

...btw, any advice on next steps so I can get better.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio