Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Eolo Radsails Aztec 5.0m
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 25-4-2010 at 11:14 PM
Eolo Radsails Aztec 5.0m

Well, this is an interesting opportunity I have here to review a brand that doesn't get a whole lot of exposure over here. This came into my life at NABX and I finally took the opportunity today to take it out, unpack everything and have a good look-see and fly.

First off.....there are speakers in the top of the backpack. What the....?

Yes. Speakers. And they are even amplified! There's two little pockets just inside the top of the bag, one for your favorite MP3 player/iPhone/Blackberry and the other which houses the little amplifier unit (2AA batteries not incl.). Didn't give it a listen but thought it was a clever idea for a backpack. When you put the pack on the speakers will be just behind your head above your shoulders. Definitely the most unique pack I've seen to date. All other creature comforts are as per the norm but at that I'd rate this a notch above most packs.

The "standard options" are good to very good. The kite came with handles, lines, a stake, killers and the usual advertising materials. Handles are very beefy - feel solid in your hand. They are quite long and heavy duty. Lineset seems average to good. The killers are quite ice and look very well made. The velcro strap solidly sewn and tapered at the tab insert end for easy donning. I'm a killer user and these may actually be the nicest, most robust I've seen. The new PL killers are nice but these edge them out thanks to the tapered strap. Small detail - big difference.

The kite itself looks to be very well built. Strong stitching in a fabric that feels to be nice and durable. Graphics are screened on and in Aztec theme. Not anything spectacular but not ugly either. The shape of the kite is quite different than anything I've seen. Where most kites I've seen have a more or less curved leading edge and a relatively straight trailing edge (I'm referring to the span, tip to tip here), the Aztec is opposite. The leading edge is quite straight and the trailing edge is noticeably curved.

This is an open cell kite and it's very open indeed - right to the wingtips which means it gulps the air in and takes shape quite quickly.

In flight the kite doesn't produce much power (lift/pull) compared to the ReactorII 5.5 I flew right after it but it is an easy flying kite. A little research and you'll learn that the Aztec is the new beginner entry into the traction kite lines from Eolo which must explain the gentle characteristics of the kite. Still a bit on the big side for absolute beginners but really - the power difference between this and the RII - his is definitely beginner friendly and can be passively flown (unlike the RII which must be kept moving).

Turned well on front line turns but didn't seem to like brake turns too much. I had the brakes quite slacked off but any input really folded in the TE on that side of the kite, pushing the air out the gaping open cell and collapsing the efficiency in that area of the kite. But still - turned great on front lines with just a bit of brake line input.

Landed straight through the powerzone with no fear at all. Powered down nicely and came down very predictably. Sat at attention for the pics like a champ.

Best & worst? I think the best would be the pack and the handles. Worst is worse....if you get the kite moving across the window the top skin that curves around to the cell opening actually puckers inwards as if to collapse into the cell. I don't know if apparent wind would help pressure up the kite enough to prevent this from happening either - seems like a pretty bad design flaw. It's kinda like my Arcs when under inflated - the way the leading edge kinda crumples in on itself until it's filled. But in this case there is seemingly no way to pressure it up to get it to hold it's shape? Maybe I can get video of this somehow so others can try to explain it and determine if it s indeed a bit of a flaw.

Not sure what the North American price point on this is / would be but it's showing online at $215 pounds which is about $330 or so. If you consider that you're paying for a cool backpack and are getting into this because you're a beginner then I'd say it's not a bad deal. In a different time and place I might have really dug the audio backpack for those kite flying sessions just getting into this sport. I've got too many other audio options now though so I'll likely only pop the batteries in to see how well they sound and then not use them again.

Eolo Website

Gonna keep it around for a bit here and see if i can't try it in "ideal situations" although I don't know that I'll find things any different. I'm considering tossing this up on a "Pass the Eolo" but have to chew on that for a while. The procrastinator in me has lost a few DVDs through "Pass the...." in the past so I'd hate to lose this - even if it was free to begin with.

Pics to follow tomorrow - it's late and my phone isn't connecting for some reason (took the pics with the phone).

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
markite
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-4-2010 at 03:26 PM

that was a lot of work - a lot of info there. Nice review

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 28-4-2010 at 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder - forgot to get the pics off the phone.....

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
erratic winds
Posting Freak

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 28-4-2010 at 03:50 PM

I've been hoping for the right winds to do a writeup of the Eolo Radsail EVOII Depower bar 10m... hasn't happened yet, which is kind of a bummer. So far all I can tell you is that it's big and has the same leading-edge-cave that every foil seems to get when totally overpowered.

Thank you for an awesome review of the Aztec, macboy. I hope to do one of the same quality.

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
arkay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-5-2010 at 03:36 PM

I bet sand would kill those speakers pretty quickly as it doesn't look like their sealer in anyway. But cool concept :)

US503 - Manzanita, Oregon

Fixed Bridal: Flexifoil Sting 1.2, 1.7; Rage Acid 2.5m, 3.5m, 4.7m, 6m | Peter Lynn Vapor 11.2m, 16.1m | NPW 7m
Depower : Peter Lynn Venom 2 13m, 16m, 19m | Peter Lynn Phantom 15m | Flysurfer 2.5 SA 19m
LEI : Flexifoil Atom 7m, 9m, 12m; Mutiny 8m
Land rides : Libre Hardcore; Libre v-max; Peter Lynn XR+W | Rollerblade Coyotes! | Ground Industries AK Pro
Water rides : Slingshot Misfit 134; Ocean Rodeo Mako 150; North WAM! 5\'10

4 Sale/Trade: HQ M1 5m, Flysurfer Pulse 10, PL Venom 2 16m, PL Venom 19m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio