Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why is the Red Colored side on the left?
joedy

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 03:02 AM
Why is the Red Colored side on the left?

I've tried searching for what seems to be a simple explanation, but I've had no luck.

I've been stunt kiting since Peter Powels and Top Of The Line were regularly stocked in the stores. I was taught the mnemonic, "Red for right" and have followed this pattern for years.

Since I've been studying about kiteboarding in anticipation of my first lesson, I can't fathom why all of the images that I'm seeing show the red colored side on the left side of the bar.

I understand that it doesn't really matter what the colors are the bar are and it doesn't matter to the kite, but what is the rationale for this common configuration?

Thanks for your help.

-joedy

Flysurfer Speed3 19m Deluxe
Liquid Force Envy 12m
Flysurfer Pulse2 12m
HQ Matrixx 15m
HQ Hydra 350
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:04 AM

It is the international nautical tradition. Red navigation lights always to port (left). Same on aircraft. I see a lot of kiteboarders using red on right because they are taught that way. Fine until you share your rig.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:16 AM

in marine navigation, SEEING the red is a stop or give way indication(as a oncoming vessel). hence right of way rules

it is for orientation. in kiting it is contrast ther are lots of other colors BTW
also helps esp. with rotations and twist and turns and basic set up.

kiting on the water is sailing based, knowing the elements is important ! can't imagine doing it without sailing knowledge and experience.

port and starboard came from helm orientation from a couple thousand years ago.

best i can remember its early, anyway, have fun .

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:41 AM

I too am a former dual line kite enthusiast and always used Red for Right and bLack for Left and continued to set up all my foils that way too leaving only my depowers the opposite (red on left). For the very reason Angus mentioned about sharing gear I have begun to swap my handles over to red on left so everything is uniform and I don't kill someone when I give them my gear and have the controls the reverse of what they are expecting.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
Hardrock

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 06:04 AM

Silly but if you have different set ups on a few different kites, it will haunt you in the field.

The P3 has red on the right, always was confusing learning, another kite I have (arc) was set with red line on right. Gesh so simple but even tho you knew it, when the lines get crossed up in use, its mind blowing for a minute, a serious WTF moment.

Just make all ya kites the same.

Didn't even think about Phree's and Angus's sailing logic, great way to remember it. I didn't know that red was a give way indication.

I doubt many lake boaters know it. I've just viewed it as if I see red and white ( white rear all around light) the craft is moving from right to left and green and white, moving from left to right.

If you see nothing, there's still some a-hole sitting out there without lights on. or a kayak, or a fallen skier at night. The horror stories are many but getting off topic. Sorry

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
kteguru

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 06:32 AM

Peter Powell, Top of the Line, ahhhhhh, fond memories:). When the whole red on the left thing came about I though "Who's the bloody moron that came up with this. They're obviously not a kiter!" I changed over though to eliminate any problems when other kiters are using your gear. The last time I rode with B-roc I was transported back 15 years flying his Bego. I though "AHHHH red on the right,,,,,where it belongs.":lol:

Although Angus is right I still say red goes on the right:D.
joedy

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 07:39 AM

Thanks for the clarification, everyone. I figured the answer would be simple, but it never dawned on me to consider the nautical aspect of power kiting on the waterways.

Since Red is considered the Port side coloration, it would follow that Green would be the Starboard coloration by nautical conventions, but I haven't seen any bars colored with Red and Green. This might, however, be to assist colorblind flyers since red and green look similar, but red and blue can be discerned easily.

Aside from existing traditions, are there specific rules which govern kiteboarding bar colors?

-joedy

Flysurfer Speed3 19m Deluxe
Liquid Force Envy 12m
Flysurfer Pulse2 12m
HQ Matrixx 15m
HQ Hydra 350
Hardrock

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joedy
Thanks for the clarification, everyone. I figured the answer would be simple, but it never dawned on me to consider the nautical aspect of power kiting on the waterways.

Since Red is considered the Port side coloration, it would follow that Green would be the Starboard coloration by nautical conventions, but I haven't seen any bars colored with Red and Green. This might, however, be to assist colorblind flyers since red and green look similar, but red and blue can be discerned easily.

Aside from existing traditions, are there specific rules which govern kiteboarding bar colors?

-joedy

Dude, Thats looking into it deep.

I think whats being said about water navigation and kite surfing is just a means of importance because you are navigating water ways while doing it.

Bar color rules? none as I know of. Use what you like and set it up the way you want it.

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
thanson2001ok

Mood: SAD! Moving and kites are in a box.

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 08:26 AM

Consistency within your quiver and with your flying buds is a good thing. It is not much fun and pretty darn embarrassing to get handed a kite, get it mixed, and proceed to dump your buddies kite. An easy way to lose flying priveleges. :duh:

Todd... NAPKA US59 \"Have you taught a kid to fly lately?\"
Ozone 4m, 10m AccessXC
PL 19m, 16m Venom | 10m, 13m Venom II | 17m Vortex | 2.6m Viper | 2.3m Vapor | 6m, 9m, 15m Phantom | 22m Guerilla
Flysurfer 8m, 12m DLX Unity |8m Outlaw| 19m Speed 2.5 SA | 2.5m, 6m Viron
Action Vortex 6.6m Foil (FOR SALE) | Mac Bego 600
Flexifoil 1.2m, 2.4m Sting | 6.6m Blade III
The Original Flexifoil and Hawaiian Team Kite
Snow: Volant Alpine Skis | SnowBlades | PL Ice Buggy | PL KiteSled Land: Coyote Skates | Ivanpah Buggy
Water: Peter Lynn KiteCat
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 12:22 PM

Having to fly and set up many others gear, I have learned to always check which line is which by giving one of them a tug to find out if it is the right or left - BEFORE LAUNCHING. :) :)

I rig Red on Right....but obviously, everyone seems to have their own way of rigging.

I don't think there has ever been a "Standard" setup law or formality on rigging your kites so there wouldn't be a right or wrong way to do it. I say rig whatever way you know you will remember and always double check any other gear before launching it.

thanson2001ok

Mood: SAD! Moving and kites are in a box.

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 12:32 PM

I always check now! A little tug'll do you.

Todd... NAPKA US59 \"Have you taught a kid to fly lately?\"
Ozone 4m, 10m AccessXC
PL 19m, 16m Venom | 10m, 13m Venom II | 17m Vortex | 2.6m Viper | 2.3m Vapor | 6m, 9m, 15m Phantom | 22m Guerilla
Flysurfer 8m, 12m DLX Unity |8m Outlaw| 19m Speed 2.5 SA | 2.5m, 6m Viron
Action Vortex 6.6m Foil (FOR SALE) | Mac Bego 600
Flexifoil 1.2m, 2.4m Sting | 6.6m Blade III
The Original Flexifoil and Hawaiian Team Kite
Snow: Volant Alpine Skis | SnowBlades | PL Ice Buggy | PL KiteSled Land: Coyote Skates | Ivanpah Buggy
Water: Peter Lynn KiteCat
xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX

Mood: ANY DAY KITING BEATS ANY OTHER DAY!!! :)

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 01:06 PM

BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 01:51 PM

It seems like the industry has adopted the red on left scheme to the point where handles, lines, and bridles won't match up right if you take on your own red on right thing. I have handles that are colored red with a big "L" on them. Then there are handle leader colors that are red on left schemed as well. Finish that up with red colored bridles on the left connection point at the kite and it seems like you just have to go with the flow, which is what I have done since I learned that was the common method.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 05:53 AM

Yeah if you put a PL Navigator bar down with red on right, it shows big printed letters "WRONG WAY"

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio