Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First time won't be the last time
McDuck

Mood: Dead Sexy

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 09:41 PM
First time won't be the last time

Last week I got to spend some time in Utah with my family. While I was up there I took the opportunity visit one of my favorite stores at the mall in Provo called 'G4G' or Gear for Guys. They sell all sorts of fun stuff; kites, mountainboards, all sorts of gear, etc.

I asked the owner if he knew of anyone who did kitesurfing lessons around town and he referred me to a local instructor. I have a couple years of power kite flying experience but I've never owned an LEI or actually gotten out on the water so I figured it would be fun to get my hands on some nice equipment and have a lesson.

We met at Deer Creek Reservoir and started learning about the kite, proper launch and landing procedure, etc. After it was apparent I knew how to fly the kite it was out to the water for some body dragging. Now I know I've heard people say that that isn't very fun but I thought it was a friggin' blast! Not as fun as riding, but still, for someone who has never done it before getting dragged around the water behind a brand new 11.5m Best Kahoona was pretty exciting! :D

Needless to say I will be back for more.

Big shout out to Don for the great lesson and the guys at G4G for hooking me up.

Pansh 6m Ace
GI Flight Lite 100
GI Flight 93
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 09:44 PM

Fun, innit? And you get to collect such kick-ass gear :D I like the buckles and straps too :ticking:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
McDuck

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 10:04 PM

Yeah, that Best was awful purdy. Made me want one pretty bad. Unfortunately there aren't really any reliable kitesurfing spots that I know of here in AZ. One more reason to move to Utah. :D

Pansh 6m Ace
GI Flight Lite 100
GI Flight 93
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 11:49 PM

I've gotta admit I'm pretty lucky living where I do ... no matter how much I might moan about it, I've got several parks for landboarding (if I go at the right times) within an hours drive. The lake is good for northerly winds and is about 20 minutes away from home - and has a live webcam :D Southerlies are covered by a 90 minute drive and if I want kilometers of open beach with big surf or a flat river mouth, they're just under 3 hours away ... the windiest place in Japan is about 4 hours away.

Yeah, it could be worse :crazy::dunno::cool:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
McDuck

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 10:26 AM

lucky duck, or rooster, or whatever.

Does anyone know if there are significant differences between the 08,09, and 10 best line? I was using a brand new 2010 Best Kahoona but if there aren't significant differences I may look for a used 08 or 09 for my very own.

Pansh 6m Ace
GI Flight Lite 100
GI Flight 93
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 14-7-2010 at 06:15 AM

10 best Kahoona is super quick, its a delta type and a new line. not sure when it came out maybe 09. the waroo /nemisis all solid kites basic depower bow style, the nemi now more of hybrid C kite, where as it used to be a good ol' regular c-kite til about 06/07 i think.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
McDuck

[*] posted on 14-7-2010 at 08:50 AM

Good to know, thanks Phreerider. So it sounds like it was a different design prior to 09/10. In other words if I liked the delta design I should look for an 09/10.

Pansh 6m Ace
GI Flight Lite 100
GI Flight 93

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio