Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 12M lei or 15M charger for learning?
Jaymz

Mood: Wizzy

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 09:43 PM
12M lei or 15M charger for learning?

I took a kiteboarding lesson at OBX last summer which planted the seed, and recently purchased gear and got out a few nights last week. Winds were on the low end @ 8-12mph so I static flew, scudded, and body dragged with a 12M Flexi Ion and a borrowed 12M Switchblade.
Finally got decent 15-20 winds yesterday and started working on board starts. Put up the 12M ION and was amazed at the power with more wind. Standing on the beach with the kite overhead and sheeting in had me hovering off the ground. But these tube kites sure are twitchy.
I had my hands full trying to keep the kite overhead and get in postion with the current, but managed to get up for some short 50-150 footers which either ended with loss of power and settling back in the water, or a spectacular wipeout.....a few times losing all bearings and dumping the kite. I did manage to water relaunch but it took alot of work and patience. Found out the ION is alot harder to water relaunch then the Switchblade. And getting back upwind to my board was a pita.
Another problem I'm having is not working the kite enough once I'm up. I'm turning the kite back too soon and losing power. I know what I need to do, but it's like an automatic reaction I can't break.....yet. Is this a common problem or poor skills?

And the big question is.....kiteboarding AND tube kites are new to me and I have a 15M Charger sitting idle.
Would I do better learning on the Charger in the right winds or stick with the tubes for now?
Will the Charger water relaunch any easier?
I'm wearing a pfd and learned self rescue with the tubes, but what about The Charger?
A few locals said I'm doing fine and don't get discouraged, which I replied "Discouraged? Never a thought, I'm having a blast!" :wee:

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
Gin Eskimo 14m, 11m, 8.5m, 6m
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Litewave Storm 132, Wing 153
Libre Fullrace, PL Bigfoot
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
Knolee

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 09:48 PM

If you're having trouble keeping the kite overhead then there probably isn't enough wind. Depending on the year of the kites there can be a huge difference in relaunch. In the right wind all new-style kites will relaunch pretty easily.

14m Eclipse Thruster
10m Best Nemesis HP

GI AK103
North Youngblood 129
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 09:48 PM

No auto-zenith means you gotta keep one eye on the kite all the time, eh :)
If you got the Charger, use that :yes: try some relaunches on grass and you'll be sweet. Then when you figure you need a pumpy, go try a whole bunch.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Knolee

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 09:53 PM

Well an arc won't auto zenith without enough wind either. And Jaymz, that 'twitchy'ness you're referring to is going to be your best friend when you get a little more experience.

14m Eclipse Thruster
10m Best Nemesis HP

GI AK103
North Youngblood 129
Knolee

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 09:53 PM

Where in NJ are you?

14m Eclipse Thruster
10m Best Nemesis HP

GI AK103
North Youngblood 129
Jaymz

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
If you got the Charger, use that :yes: try some relaunches on grass and you'll be sweet. Then when you figure you need a pumpy, go try a whole bunch.

I've flown the Charger on the beach and relaunch isn't much of an issue. I'm just concerned about water relaunch being harder with the friction of the water holding the kite down or water getting in the vents when choppy?

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
Jaymz

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Knolee
Where in NJ are you?

Sandy Hook is the local spot.

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
Knolee

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 10:05 PM

Oh, you're far north. I'm south.

14m Eclipse Thruster
10m Best Nemesis HP

GI AK103
North Youngblood 129
AD72
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-7-2010 at 11:44 PM

Try the charger. I would be interested to hear how the water relaunch goes. From my experience with the Pulse, it is not an issue of getting the water into it or the water "holding it" it has been a matter of maneuvering it to get it in the right position for relaunch while on the water. In high winds this is a non-issue... it just wants to fly. In low winds it requires some finesse.
I tried the Phantom once on the water and the high aspect made it easy to bow-tie. I would not expect that from a Charger.
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-7-2010 at 01:03 AM

I think the internal pressure of the air keeps water out pretty well ... next time I'm out with the Synergy, I'll crash it for you :D

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
lives2fly

[*] posted on 14-7-2010 at 03:38 AM

I am using my PL venom when the wind gets to 22-30 mph and it relaunches off the water really easily. Even if it bow ties then tugging a backline will generally sort it quickly. You are always doing a hot launch though so take care! Modern LEI's have the advatage here cos they slink off to the edge of the window.

I think Arcs are a great design for learning. Super stable. gradual power and turning. auto zenith. Gust munching.

I'm also using my Venom to learn jumps on the landboard. In fact it often comes out when i'm trying ANYTHING new because its so predictable.

once you have confidence then the lack of performance does become annoying. Though the chargers are quicker turning I'm told?

Modern Lei's are the way to go once you are up and running. Once you can stay up wind and do a basic sliding turn with your charger i would say its time to move onto an LEI. Faster, better for jumps easier waterlaunch.

To self rescue an arc from the water. swim to it winding your lines and then bring the tips togethor and fold them forward to make a closed C shape. This should create enough of a sail to get you back to the beach. If the kite loses some air then fold the tips forward again to compress the remaining air and keep it inflated.

15m Naish Fly,12m & 7.5m Naish Cults, 10m & 12m Naish Parks, 9m Naish Bolt, 6m & 14m Naish X3's, 13m PL Venom, 10m & 6m Ozone Access,
1.5m flexi Buzz, 3.5m Flexifoil Bullet, 4.7m flexi Rage, 5.6m PL Twister II, 6.6m flexi Blade, 8.0m HQ Toxic
Flexdeck Landboard, Nobile Flying Carpet 160, Airush Switch 142, Slingshot Misfit 136, Naish Monarch 134, North Whip 5'8", Fischer Skis, Palmer & Drake Snowboards.
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 14-7-2010 at 05:47 AM

never had a problem water relaunching a charger. never a bowtie in about 200hours

the charger is as quick as a tube of equal power(13m tube =15mCH) the chargers behave alot like tube kites. somewhat nervous at the apex but will settle in 12-20mph nicely.

a tube for LEARNING on the water is easier and faster , the relaunch is easier .

the venom series are more stable compared to any and ALL and have huge range of performance and wind tolerance. a little slower than tubes but a true all terrain kite.

they all can be made to hit huge airs , all really has to do with the speed the rider works with and kite handling. the float feeling is a little different arcs have very positive tension through flight and tubes the feeling is somewhat absent esp. right after the pop, but the tube kites are quick and catch up to you everytime.

if you already have a good bit of experience with kites in general it doesn't matter what you choose. you still will have to go through 20-60hours of just getting out and doing it.

power management is different for arcs and tubes. this has to be learned(experienced!) to use an arc , esp. to realize all of their potential.

you have both USE BOTH .

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio