Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Progress report - Macboy's kiteboard efforts
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 20-7-2010 at 11:15 PM
Progress report - Macboy's kiteboard efforts

So, we've found our little salt lake to have a perfect beach/shore angle for our most common winds and because it's a salty lake there are not really many others out on the water. Hit it again this past Saturday (as a much needed reprieve from the reno gong show going on here).

The report:
The V13 was the kite du jour, winds musta been about 14-16 knots so I think I coulda used a little more kite? Still the 13 did the job and was quick enough to work up good power and keep me going.

Biggest news: The kite didn't hit the water ONCE! And let me tell you, there was PLENTY of times when it really coulda but nope - notta once! Wahoo! I must be learning something.......

Goofy (my regular stance) - almost locked on but was a little underpowered for leaning back against the kite for upwind gains. Got rippin a few times and had to learn quick how to deal with chop but I survived. Biggest issue here is coming out of the water and pointing too hard upwind right from the get-go OR pointing too much towards the kite and stealing all the wind. Kept adjusting my landmark until I got something that was working. Hopefully it comes by feel once I "get it".

Switch (for me, right foot leading) - It's developing but feels awkward still. Only able to get up out of the water, crank the kite a couple times in a desperate bid to keep above water and then drop back down. Upwind is a bit away yet to say the least.

"Bit off too much" board losing launches: 0
"Over the frontside" board losing stops: 0
"Choking on my salt water snot" moments: 2 (HATE that feeling)

Seems to me the big thing to get used to is the speed...on the snow I can just coast gently but on the water I find I need to be doing everything I'm doing with purpose....like I "mean it". After getting used to the speed, getting adjusted to riding switch will be the only other hurdle and then it's time for some air!

Almost there? I hope so but hell...I'm having all kinds of fun in the process!:wee:

All y'all fightin' the same fight as me? Keep at it - it was just what I needed last weekend and I'll definitely not give up trying.

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 12:55 AM

Good stuff! It's a rush, a buzz, a drug eh ... wife is like "You're still bleeding from cuts and grazes and you're going out AGAIN!?!?" and I'm like "What blood? I feel goo-oooood!" :lol:

Your legs are your suspension - or jump over the chop :D
Due to the wind directions here, switch/goofy for me (right foot forward) is my first and longest tack ... it feels pretty natural now :D more than my natural stance!
I love my lake ... fresh water is the bomb!

Speed seems to be the key eh - with enough speed you're going upwind fine ... the problem is, to get that speed I either gotta loop the kite and go downwind too far or ride with more sail up in higher winds - which gets freaky. I'm sure it's just like skiing/snowboarding - once you're used to it, it is the goodness :yes:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 21-7-2010 at 06:11 AM

way to go ! keep at it

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 06:04 PM

Nice work man!!!!! Really need to get out and riding myself. Seems like when its a windy day,I gotta do other stuff. Kinda looking like my skills on water won't be there this season but I definitely hope to be flying by next year. I hear you on the snow issue, really feel like its easier on hard ground. Keep up the good work!!!!!:wee:

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio