Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finless super shallow ultimate light wind kiteboarding session
borntofli

Mood: Can\'t get enough kiting

[*] posted on 1-8-2010 at 06:10 PM
Finless super shallow ultimate light wind kiteboarding session

My local wind station said 10 kts so off to the beach I go... Set up and slog, slog. Landed the kite and checked the wind station again... 8 kts..... Sat there awhile and no change, pack up and hmmmmmm....

Lets go try the flatwater spot on the laguna side of the island.. Theoretically the wind is more there cause it goes over the hot land and picks up speed..... I've never kited there but have seen a kite out there before...

Shallow shallow water... 6" to maybe 1' until you get way out and then maybe 2-3'...
Wind does seem to be a little better here, still marginal.

Set up, have to keep the kite moving or it starts to fall, and go out w/ the spleene flatwater board... Try to get going but the fins keep dragging in the grass and soft bottom.... Grrrrrr.. Land the kite and think.....I've heard lots of skimboarding in super light winds, and you dont need fins anyways.......

Took the fins off the board.. (of course all of this is w/ the speed 17)

Went out to try it again.... Dive the kite and go... I'm going and its a little slippery but im going... Back and forth a few times seeming to be not going downwind any... The turns are a little slippery but riding it doesn't feet much different than w/ fins on.....

When I can get a few sines of the kite in and get some speed upwind is no problem....And this is 10mph max..... If you end up way downwind no problem walking back, ankle deep water...

First time w/out fins and it shows me that edging is most of board control, fins just add stability in turns and downwind.... mostly.....

I had trouble w/ this spleene board out in the waves but on the flatwater its great.......I had put it up for sale but may have to keep it for this spot......

This sport is too addicting.. So much to learn and so many ways of having fun w/ it.....

The needle filled my veins today, but tomorrow i'm gonna need a little more...................................................

Ocean Rodeo Rise 12
Ozone C4 10
Slingshot Octane 7
Flysurfer speed 2 15 SA

Rollersurfer (for sale)
6\'2\" Slingshot SST
Slingshot fuse
Brokite 134 freeride
Ocean Rodeo mako 140

Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2010 at 07:38 PM

:D :cool2:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 08:48 AM

very nice , finnless is the way to really get the board wired , switches are faster and edge control better(understood). way to go!

the arcs really like the fast start.. kites is up to speed and you're up to speed, really quickly!

sounds like a nice spot

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio