Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: perfect p4 15m tuning?
bigsteve

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 12:15 PM
perfect p4 15m tuning?

So i've been a little frustrated with my P4 lately. its a a couple years old now, but I've always kept an eye on the mixers and keep it around b-1c-2 ish, and it has always been fine..

lately though, it has been giving me more and more tip tuck comibined with more and more back stall (over half my bar through is backstall)

To remedy the back stall I shortened the black line that connects the main lines to the sheeter strap about 2-3inches. that got rid of most of the backstall, but the kite is still jellyfishing quite about, and pulling in the lines seemed to kill some of the grunt the kite had before.

have any of you guys worked to 'perfect' p4 tuning? I want to get more use out of this kite.. but its current state of flying is driving me nuts... I've even dabbled in the blowup world a bit, but those kites just dont give me the hangtime and height must have..

Kites: 14m Vegas, 15m SD3, 10m rebel, 4m radsail

Boards: GI mtn board, Flyradical 139, plydoor 154
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 02:35 PM

Steve,

Have you checked your line lengths and bar throw for the backstall/power issues.......................as for the tip tucking, does the P4 have ring lines like the P3, Pulse 1/2, and S2s? I had a right side tip tuck on my 12m S2 due to the ring lines had shrunk 3 inches..........stretched back to factory specs, applied surf wax to the line, no more issies...............................If all else fails ping John (Powerzone).........

as for inflatable hangtimes, the Slingshot Rev and EH Avandos boost big with plenty of float................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 06:41 AM

Steve,

take a look at your C and Z tip line lengths vs faactory specs............................hope this helps

http://www.flysurfer.com/Lineservice/

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
bigsteve

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 10:16 AM

Thanks tridude, I hadn't thought about that, but shrinking ringlines would make perfect sense as to why it is acting like it is. As soon as I get home from california I will check it out (the gear did not come with me this time)

bigsteve

[*] posted on 25-8-2010 at 09:15 PM

Update: I was re-inspired to get back on a foil after Powerzone passed me his 15m SA2. I forgot how nice it is to float. The rebels I have been on do not do that unless they are really powered up.

Looking at it tonight I found a couple things. first off.. a mixer on the C pulley is in tatters.. not affecting the tuning but yikes.. i can't believe I didnt see that when I was tuning 2weeks ago.

Second, I found that from switching the bar around we got the line lengths off. the mains were probably out 3 inches longer than the steering lines. I shortened up the leader on the mains from the trim strap..

No wind to try yet, but I'll keep posted on how it goes..I must admit though.. i like the idea of having a 15m speed instead of this kite

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio