Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HQ Prodigy
DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 27-9-2010 at 03:46 PM
HQ Prodigy

I recently had the chance to fly the new HQ prodigy kite. I will admit I was skeptical at first. I didn't really know what to expect out of the kite. I knew it was suppose to be a race kite design, but I didn't know the stability of it. I am happy to report that the stability was very good, especially for a race wing.
I had the small 3.4m and the winds never gave me a chance to really mash down on this thing to see how fast it could be. But I was able to get it out on a horrible day to really test its stability. The winds were gusty and switching directions at the location I chose. I figured this would be a excellent spot to give it a really ugly world test. I am happy to say that in this ugly spot the kite performed well. I was expecting it to over shoot the window, fold up, luff all over the place, etc. But it didn't it held itself together very well. Of course in the lulls I would get some wing tip fold, but a quick yank of the handles or a nice gust of wind and the wing would take its shape again.
The kite was very responsive to break input and turns very quick. The quality of the kite was also good, nothing less than you would expect from HQ quality. The bridles on the kite were nice and clean and thin for maximum wind slicing performance.
Overall I thought it was a very nice kite and a good addition to the HQ lineup. I know there were others who flew the prodigy at nabx. It would be great if you all would add your thoughts of the kite also :thumbup:
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 27-9-2010 at 11:49 PM

its not bad but nothing great like the current Race Kites on the market right now. if you're in the market for a race type kite there are more options.

if you're budget minded these dont cost any less than the current race kites and they only come in limited sizes and one colour per size. i described in a earlier post that i personally didnt like the design logo of the kite and it was on the wrong side.

with HQ's track record, and it being out for a few months now, expect that they will come out with the Prodigy II by spring / summer. i would wait for that model before jumping into it.

BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 03:10 PM

I flew the Prodigy at NABX this year. I spent several hours with it and much appreciated the power for its size as well as the stability it has. I set my PB of 45.1 which was an increase of 10 mph. The limitation was the wind we had that day and not the kite. Everyone can't make use of the bleeding edge performance of some of the more established race kites and the prodigy could be a great option for them. Even a certain designer of another prominent race kite Mfr. gave it his nod of approval even if he retained plausible deniability. I'll be watching to see where this kite goes in the big scheme of things.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ripsessionkites
its not bad but nothing great like the current Race Kites on the market right now. if you're in the market for a race type kite there are more options.

if you're budget minded these dont cost any less than the current race kites and they only come in limited sizes and one colour per size. i described in a earlier post that i personally didnt like the design logo of the kite and it was on the wrong side.

with HQ's track record, and it being out for a few months now, expect that they will come out with the Prodigy II by spring / summer. i would wait for that model before jumping into it.

Do not pay any attention to the little Asian guy with the HOOJ head on his little shoulders. He gets to go to world cup and now nothing or nobody is good enough in is eyes :P:P I am worried if he does do well over there we will never be able to get his head to fit through the door on the plane to get him home :lol: That might be ok though then he will be Hollands problem :thumbup:
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-9-2010 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAKITEZ
Quote:

Do not pay any attention to the little Asian guy with the HOOJ head on his little shoulders. He gets to go to world cup and now nothing or nobody is good enough in is eyes :P:P I am worried if he does do well over there we will never be able to get his head to fit through the door on the plane to get him home :lol: That might be ok though then he will be Hollands problem :thumbup:

Bastard!!! i was motoring on teh 16 today and had to drop down to the 11.2 but no race ... tomorrow is the day.

i never said it was bad but i would wait for II but i havent seen much from performance being here.

chris

Mood: Inducing camber

[*] posted on 29-9-2010 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
its not bad but nothing great like the current Race Kites on the market right now. if you're in the market for a race type kite there are more options....i described in a earlier post that i personally didnt like the design logo of the kite and it was on the wrong side.

Dang. Is that why you hung onto the 3.4m demo for two months? :piggy:

Quote:

The Prodigy was introduced late in 2010. There will not be a new version for 2011. Pay no attention to the man in the pink skirt. :smilegrin:

We'll have demos at Wildwood Buggy Bash next month. So come check one out and see for yourself. :singing:

http://www.extremekites.com.au/news/land-kiting/128-hq-prodi...

Cheers,

Chris

DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-9-2010 at 06:39 PM

nice one Chris ... but you do have a typo .... It should read ... pay no attention to the little asian boy in the pink skirt :lol:
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris

Rip, did you even fly the Prodigy when you had it?

Landsegler Disc wheels
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
Quote:
Originally posted by chris

Rip, did you even fly the Prodigy when you had it?

once / twice, but i had passed it off to the Oregon Shop crew for testing as I dont have the running space they do.

i only had it that long because it was down south and not in my hands, the two months was a few weeks with me and a few weeks in OR.

show me how fast you can go??? or how to round a marker with it???

no pink skirt at the moment. LOL

RRR

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 03:51 PM

Im the Oregon shop for Shop for Rip and the time that the kite was in hand,seme to be a prab, if thare is air or wind for that 3.4 domo Prodigy here on the west cost is the time of the year of low winds So how do you test a hirer wind kite so if your upset about the time it was in my hand. Im the one that hald it up for more wind.That time of year we are flying 10.8m 11.6m 13.4m 14.m 16.1 I hope you will unsand. Monty.O :wee::Ange09::wee:

ApexxMonty
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 07:38 AM

bring me a demo a in a bigger size as i requested and ill give it another test. the 3m is too small to demo with and if you're testing in high winds for it im sure it will rock but thats not fair judgement since everything should performance in 30 knots +.

maybe at NABX wil be my next test.

BrisKites

[*] posted on 29-1-2011 at 04:40 AM

Quote:

Not sure if I totally agree here. I can think of a couple of race kites the Prodigy is much better than.
I tend to need at least 1 size bigger than if I am flying a Combat or Vapor but it's not an issue.
Stability is similar to the Vapour. Not as much acceleration as the Combat or Vapour but has a bigger wind range as the kite makes at least 20-30% more power when flying with some brake pressure.

Quote:

I doubt it will be replaced soon, usually at least a 2 year cycle with most of their fixed bridle kites.
ice kiter

[*] posted on 21-7-2012 at 07:38 AM

well to have bought or not to have bought, - this here the question...
are the others better with so much?

HQ Beamer V 4.0 with X-Over Control Bar/ Turbo Bar
HQ Toxic 2.0, 5.0, the 6.5 with banana / Turbo Bar

self-produced buggy and ice sleigh
- back axle wide 5ft / front-back ax. 6ft
andq
SCRUB Predator atb
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-7-2012 at 09:10 AM

The Prodigy fits nicely in the race kite market. It is stable and very powerful. It trades bleeding edge power for a wider wind range than the Vapor and Combat. The prodigy is at a lower price point than the Vapor and Combat. I actually have 2 vapors for sale here and intend to replace them with 3 Prodigies. Lots more wind range for the money. But I'm selling my Vapors at 2/3rds of what they retail for so it can be a deal for someone as well.

Landsegler Disc wheels
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
ice kiter

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 11:00 AM

thanks, where I live in Hungary, (here the largest lake of europa,like this the kitesurf the cool one) in the buggy kites only the HQ he has a fair partner and the OZONE with half foot

HQ Beamer V 4.0 with X-Over Control Bar/ Turbo Bar
HQ Toxic 2.0, 5.0, the 6.5 with banana / Turbo Bar

self-produced buggy and ice sleigh
- back axle wide 5ft / front-back ax. 6ft
andq
SCRUB Predator atb

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio