Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My first review - PL Charger 12
InvertedForce

Mood: Needing wind!

smile.gif posted on 12-10-2010 at 09:08 PM
My first review - PL Charger 12

First off, let me thank Ripsession for setting up the Charger pass. What a great deal to be part of. So glad I signed up.

This kite is a BEAST. Love everything about it.
At first, I didn't quite know how to set it up, since wind is coming and going around these parts, so I was in a hurry before my chance to fly disappeared. Within a few minutes, I was rockin' and ready to launch.

I've never had too many problems with launching Peter Lynn's but lately my Synergy has been bowtie-ing a lot. This kite went up in a breeze, stayed in the air beautifully and sat at Zenith like a good PL should! Loved it.

Wind was about 15mph, gusting to 30 and direction was very unstable (A big storm front moved in, which brought rain promptly 10 minutes into my session). Kite handled like a champ, was so quick, much quicker than my sluggish 19m Synergy and my 16m Venom. Ample winds and smaller square meters will do that, but I wasn't expecting it to be THAT fast. Turning was easy and intuitive and the kite was very responsive.

The rains came, making my footing much more difficult, so I started to skud around the field a bit, until a big gust came and lofted me about 6-8 feet in the air and carried me about 20 feet downwind! What a rush! Of course at this point, I was still trying to figure out the new trim system and clamcleat, which now in retrospect I rather like. I know there are some mixed reviews about them, but I didn't find anything too difficult to use.

Its hanging in the basement as we speak drying off with a dehumidifier and a fan. Getting it ready for the next session!

Thoughts: Kite is stellar. Soon as I get some cash saved up, I'm buying one from you, Ricardo. 12m is where its at on those Chargers.
I LOVE the Navigator bar. Everything about it speaks lots of improvement over the Zero7. Even small details like the way the stretchy band retracts into the handle when not being used to the tabs on the ends of the lines to make untying the kite easier, this design is miles above the Zero7.
The chicken loop is fantastic, plenty of room in there, easy to engage the safety, and all around clean looking.

It's been 3 months since I've flown until this afternoon, and even my short 45 minute session will keep me afloat for a while.
Next two days seem promising. Winds 15-20 on both Wednesday and Thursday. It's the season for inland kiting, fellas!

After these next two sessions, I'll be sending the kite off to the next person in line. If you're all reading this, I'm sorry. No wind + work is a bad combination when you're waiting for the pass to get to you.

InvertedForce
~Paul

NOWHEREBOYS
NWB Blog

GI AK103
MBS Core 90
Venom II 10, Venom II 13, Venom 16, Synergy 19, Flysurfer Psycho4 15m
AD72
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 10:36 PM

Thank you for the review and new thread. I think this kind of input was really what intended in the pass the Charger.

Were you on a land board? What makes it different from a Synergy. I have only flown a 9M Phantom and 10M Syn for Arcs. How does it compare?
InvertedForce

Mood: Needing wind!

[*] posted on 13-10-2010 at 04:54 AM

Well, truth be told, its hard to compare since the I've only flown my 19m Synergy. In the right wind, the Synergy is like a train, and It'll really pull ya, but I've had a hard time getting its range dialed in for my weight (~250). I was just static flying and kite jumping as I didn't have much time before the wind died out. The storm rolled in and gave me about a solid hour and a half of usable wind. The first half hour was while I was still at work, but I boogied on out to the field and made use of the last 45 minutes :bouncing:

One thing I did notice is turning input. I'm used to the venom's feel for turning (no VPC) which lends a bit more bar pressure, so I feel like I can feather the input when I need to. The synergy has very little bar pressure in comparison. Most of my flying time has been with my Venom and VenomII, so I'm used to its bar pressure. The charger felt more akin to these kites than the Synergy (at least I thought so, maybe I was just living in the moment and forgot to actually think about it).

If you get a chance to get to a kite demo or find somebody in the area that'll let you try it, do so as its a swell kite! More to follow after these next two days.

I may take out the board today just to give it a try.

NOWHEREBOYS
NWB Blog

GI AK103
MBS Core 90
Venom II 10, Venom II 13, Venom 16, Synergy 19, Flysurfer Psycho4 15m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio