Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My first wetsuit
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 06:11 PM
My first wetsuit

Having depleted the strategic reserves of Neoprene in the Northern Hemisphere, Hyperflex have worked up many square miles to provide me with the first wetsuit of my own :D

So ... what's the easiest way to put one on?
(I seem to remember something about talcum powder ... I should imagine me clambering into one will look like a whale trying to fit a seal-suit and the resulting image something of a rubbery necrotic sausage ...)

What does one wear under a wetsuit?

What's the little pouch next to the zipper for?

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
Having depleted the strategic reserves of Neoprene in the Northern Hemisphere, Hyperflex have worked up many square miles to provide me with the first wetsuit of my own :D

So ... what's the easiest way to put one on?
(I seem to remember something about talcum powder ... I should imagine me clambering into one will look like a whale trying to fit a seal-suit and the resulting image something of a rubbery necrotic sausage ...)

What does one wear under a wetsuit?

pink thong

pouch ---> keys?

kiteboyza

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 06:17 PM

no powder, use a plastic bag on your foot to step into the suit with ease, the zip is on the back...this does catch a few out...lol

It's your suit, you are allowed to wee in it...hahahahaha, extra heat on them cold days

Retired Pansh Racer, comes without instruction manual
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 06:18 PM

Already took my car keys - plus remote :o - into the lake in a leg pocket ... most people here just leave the keys in their cars and their doors open. That's a very big plus about living in Japan!!!

Pink thong ... ah-ha :frog:

BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 06:53 PM

NO WEEING IN THE WETSUIT. Very bad show if you do that. It never quite rinses out. :embarrased: Your suit (unless it is circa 1958, will be nylon lined inside, so you should slip right in. Its a good idea to wear board shorts underneath the suit in case you get a rip or tear in a conspicuous place. I think it looks ridiculous, but some wear shorts OVER the wetsuit. I guess it would protect the suit if you sit on the ground and don't have a seat harness on. You can go commando underneath and that's much more comfortable but you are at risk and you have to either show yourself of find a place to change into and out of the suit.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 06:54 PM

I look forward to the first pics.

Hopefully, you were able to spring for the fully-kitted suit.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Txshooter38

Mood: Coast or Bust!

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
I think it looks ridiculous, but some wear shorts OVER the wetsuit.

Lol......please tell me they don't....your killin' me!!!

Curtis

Currently flying:
Beamer IV 2m, 3m, 4m
Ozone Flow 5M
PL Vibe 1.3
Synergy 12m
Flysurfer 19m DLX
HQ Apex III 7.5
PL Twister 7.7m--Just plain sick...

Driving:
Peter Lynn Buggy
GI Landboard
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 07:21 PM

Your wish is my command ...

No to the peeing? ... darn!
Commando sounds ... dangerous. I'll probably wear shorts over the top as the seat harness might rip it up good. Might have to go shopping for lycra undies :o

flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 07:28 PM

When I put my wetsuit on for scuba class I would always jump into the water first and put it on innthe shallows, then again it was freshwater and I'm not sure if you are on the ocean or a lake. Goodluck Kami

ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 07:51 PM

i have no issues taking my wetsuit on and off ... shaving your legs helps (but im hairless)

mgatc

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 08:03 PM

Commando or lycra shorts (UNDER the suit NOT over it, geez!) to avoid the dreaded board shorts bunching around the b@!!s. If its really cold, peeing in the suit is wonderfully warming. lol Just be sure and pull open the leg cuffs and rinse your ankles before leaving the water!:smilegrin::smilegrin::yes:

HQ: Scout 3m, Neo 11m, Neo 8m
PL: Scorpion 10m
Cabrinha: 12m Switchblade, 16m Crossbow
SU-2 Bigfoot, Liquid Force Proof 151, Klein 145
MBS Comp 90 Landboard
Flexifoil Buggy
Mystic Waist/Seat Harness
2 DIY Plyboards
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza

Condems !
Chicks really go after a guy in a wet suit ! ;-)

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 08:57 PM

+1 for "under the suit"

I wear regular swim shorts and they fit good. No real issues donning the suit, just pull. I work my feet in and trough and THEN pull up the legs, tucking the shorts as I go so it doesn't look like "I've wrapped it around my leg". Arms in and then the Jedi reach for the zipper pull.

Taking it off.....THAT'S a whole different game. Invert and peel it off like the casing off a sausage.

And though I've been tempted, I just can't bring myself to warming my suit like I'd warm my swim trunks. BUT I hold no ill feelings to those that do.....only those wearing shorts over the wetsuit.

Shorts AND a T-Shirt? (I've seen it...for real!) :facepalm:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-3-2011 at 10:20 PM

My harness has chewed up my t-shirt so I'd rather it didn't chew up my wetsuit ;) and I'd like to hide my curves from public consumption too ... those that wear only the wetsuits here still look like someone let the gimp out!

ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 23-3-2011 at 05:10 AM

I wear compression shorts under my wetsuit. Works great. I do tend to wear board shorts over my wetsuit but this is more so my wife can spot me and take pictures while I am riding (can't use the kite cause there is another guy with the exact same kites that I ride with).

After a session, it is always a good idea to thoroughly rinse out your suit. When I live in California, I would go back home and use the hose to really thoroughly rinse the entire suit (inside and out), then hang it out to dry, but not in direct sunlight. Just so you know, I've had the same suit for 6 years now and it is still in great shape.

If you take care of your suit, it can last a really long time...
:)

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-3-2011 at 07:48 PM

After a test-fit at home with tight-fitting undies on - that bunched up under my bum and were all VPL - I decided to Go Commando at the lake this afternoon ...

Easy enough to get into, no problem with the legs. Gently work it up to get a good fit under the crotch ... phew it's hot! So I left the top down and put on a t-shirt and waddled over to the beach, pumped up the kite and then got into it properly.

Bit tough getting the body to move up cos it stuck to my skin under a vacuum effect but got into it in the end. All a bit stiff and unyielding, kinda hard to get my knees up to my chest to get the board on my feet!

Warm enough though, I was cold but not uncomfortably so - unlike my hands ... the rubber gardening gloves I bought actually worked pretty good at blocking the windchill but once the water got inside, sucked weenie big time. That problem was solved later when one of the guys who converted from windsurfing last year (and nearly wrapped himself up in my Speed) gave me his gloves cos they were too big for him :o mad props for the kiting brother!

Had my shorts on and should have put my t-shirt on over the top too - the extra windbreak factor was noticeable, especially on the beach ...

I think I need booties cos blasts of cold water up the legs was ... interesting ... and the little inflations they caused around the ankle was an interesting sensation!

Oh, it was 6°C on the roadside thermometer ... there was snow on the hills and the wind was fricken cold too! So, wetsuit for the win!

Now I better go wash it :o

BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-3-2011 at 08:45 PM

A couple things.

"Waddled over to the beach" srsly :lol:

"better go wash it". You didn't did you? really? with long legs of neoprene on? :wow:

at 6c, I'm thinking a drysuit might be appropriate. How cold is the water? My rule is that if the air and water temp don't add up to 120F, its drysuit time. If you are in and out of the water, that number can go up.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio