Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Underground Kipuna Freewave
sparkin_larkin

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 09:44 AM
Underground Kipuna Freewave

Underground Kipuna Freewave.. interested in this board or the fish version? Any reviews? Any comments?

L
zero gee

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 04:21 PM

I ride a 2010 5'8 Kipuna. The shape is based on thier original (and popular) kitesurfboard that has volume (always found good reviews on that one too). But, the construction of the Kipuna is more robust (bump and jump) than the surfboard model. I did not find any bad reviews on the Freewave /Kipuna (and looked at reviews from since they started producing the Freewave) on these before I bought it. I was looking to replace my last one board /bump and jump quiver that would suit the conditions I ride here best. It came highly recommended to me (by more than one source) when I was looking for a replacement. They are very hard to find used too as I think they are keepers. So, I bought mine as a demo. I was hesitant to buy another board new without trying it first since my last board was a bit of a disappointment. I would buy this one new.

I'm 170lbs-ish. Ride it in everything from butter smooth water, to nasty chop, to head high waves (or any combo of) on my freshwater inland ocean. It is my only board and it is an excellent one board quiver for me (fits well into my 2 kite quiver). It rides strapped, and unstrapped well, even pretty good as a finless skim. I ride it strapped and finned mostly. Boosts huge! A fun board, pretty much as advertised.

The one I got either had crappy paint or a crappy pain job. The paint chips really easy and shows well with the red on white primer.

I got it after my 2010 trip to Hatteras and really looking forward to riding it there this year. Only 12 more days :D

2016 CORE Section wave 6m and 9m
CORE Sensor2 controlbar
2016 5'2" North WHIP surfboard
Zeeko Spitfire XLW foil and 5'0 custom foilboard
Electric Outback MountainBoard
Any old $100 snowboard
sparkin_larkin

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 06:12 AM

ZG thanks for a great review! :thumbup:Do you know anything about the fish I have read it is slow..for me that might be a plus:yes: Slow is that another way of saying hard to get plaining..that would not be good.

L
zero gee

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:05 AM

Sorry, I know very little about the fish. It was way harder to find reviews on them. I read that they were a better light wind board. But I can't recall if that was company propaganda or user reviews. I was looking for a board that might have a wider wind range like my previous one board quivers had. So I opted to try the Kipuna instead.

2016 CORE Section wave 6m and 9m
CORE Sensor2 controlbar
2016 5'2" North WHIP surfboard
Zeeko Spitfire XLW foil and 5'0 custom foilboard
Electric Outback MountainBoard
Any old $100 snowboard
sparkin_larkin

[*] posted on 6-4-2011 at 10:11 AM

Yea same here on the fish...they are not offering it in their new line up so that tells me something. Thanks again. Have a good time at OBX..

L

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio