Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wakeskate
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

Mood: low winds here I come

question.gif posted on 16-4-2011 at 01:37 PM
Wakeskate

Its not much of a secret that I really don't know how to ride on the water just yet. I've never even water skied or wakeboarded, which doesn't help the situation. None the less, I've been considering Investing in a second smaller board, for when my skills allow it. Looking at various sites I've become curious about the wakeskates that have emerged. Naish offers a wakeskate for around $200.00. I'm wondering what the challenges of wakeskate are, and if someone at my level should even bother with it. The videos look like it could be a fun toy, and strapless would add another dimension without having to pay the coin for a good skim or surfboard. Any thoughts????

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 03:35 PM

Hey

A wake skate isn't a whole lot of good unless you can ride in fairly shallow water. Even a well experienced rider falls of lots doing kick flips and other skate board oriented tricks.
On the lakes here in Canada that get deep its hard to ride with one because unless the wind is just right its very hard to stay in shallow enough water. Also the water has to be pretty flat.
You have to be in shallow enough water to sort of run and jump on them. I could be wrong but it would be damn hard to get up on one in water over your head.
If you have an area of water one or two feet deep it will be fun but other than that it will be frustrating.

John
krumly

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 03:51 PM

Put your $200 toward a used kiteboard and learn how to ride while being towed. Then figure it out with the kite, or better yet, take lessons. I think this is much easier than trying to figure it all out with a kite by yourself. Don't buy a wakeboard - learning to steer a kiteboard while being towed is much better than trying to use a wakeboard with a kite.

krumly

Flying:
1.5 m Ozone LD Stunt
2.2, 3.2, 4.2 m C-Quads
2, 3, 4, 5.5, 7.5m PKD Broozas
9m PL GII, w/ adjustable rear strap mod
Dual mode mod PL GI 13, HArc 6, FArc 12
Cab 5m Convert, 7&9m Xbow, 12m SB
Lots of stunt kites and a Rev Supersonic

Riding:
Libre Special buggy, PL Comp buggy
Line skiboards, & Lib-Tech Park & Pipes
Cabrinha Prodigy kiteboard
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 04:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys!! I already have a kiteboard (144x44 airush switch). John's comment answered it for me. Where I ride It basically gets 4 feet deep fast and stays that way for about 100yards. I'm gonna try to get lesson's this summer when I'm in B.C. till then I'll stick with what I've got and keep practicing with my buddy.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 04:20 PM

novelty fun! when willing to drag it. fun and you got to have "skate " skills. and the dropping the board thing gets old, not to mention the beating of shallow water.

it will turn off a beginner unless wakeskate skills are already rudimentary.

get a decent board. a lessons on a board you may buy .

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 04:29 PM

We more or less have the lake to ourselves. This summer we're gonna tie a tow rope to the bumper of a truck and tow in the shallow water so I can get my board skills up. Most of my issue is water starts, as the common wind direction here makes it so I have to start out goofy foot. Once up and powered I can manage.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 05:48 PM

Have a look at kiteboarding.com - they got a Cabrinha Plasma light wind board for reasonable coin ... and I'm thinking about selling my Spleene Rip Plus real cheap cos it's just too small for me ...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 06:44 PM

Hey

The board you have sounds about right for you to learn on. When I just got up and riding I had a few boards and every time I switched the was some adjusting to do. Sometimes that could be frustrating in itself. I'd be riding fine, switch boards then couldn't turn.
Get up and get riding then try a few things. One I would suggest is a surfboard. Way different feel than a twin tip and once you get used to it take the straps off. I'm not there yet so no comment on strapless, but the surfboard is wicked fun.

John

Kami what size is the Spleene ?
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 11:11 PM

138x44 - 2007 or 8 Spleene Rip Plus - the black and purple one. I keep trying it and each time I've ended up body-dragging back to the beach rather than get into a foul mood :lol:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio