Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 6m Gin Yeti Review
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 05:59 PM
6m Gin Yeti Review

I hate writing reviews but have been asked from a number of riders what my impression is of the new Gin Yeti and since they are hard to come by in the States and I’m a big fan of Gin, here goes…

I have been flying a 10m Gin Eskimo III for 3 years now and had been looking for something in the 6m range that had better low / upwind performance then an Access and was more stable with more constant and more smooth power delivery then my Pulse II (which I sold to fund the purchase of the Yeti).

If you are familiar with the Eskimo (III series or above) you will recognize that Gin has continued to refine what they do with the kites they make. Their product quality is top notch and at least comparable to Ozone, Flysurfer, etc. when it comes to the quality of the sail material, bridle, stitching, safety, lines and the bar.

The bag is phenomenal. It is truly a backpack that holds a kite and any related gear (skis, poles, board, Camelback, etc.) that you need to attach to it. You don’t fly the bag but there is no way one won’t be impressed when they see the pack the Yeti comes in.

The bar has been refined from the III series. The fifth line attachment on the III series used to chew up the foam on the bar every time you pulled the bar in. It is completely redesigned on the Yeti so it can’t even contact the bar. Swivel chicken loop allows any twists in the middle lines to work themselves out as you fly or pull the bar in. The middle lines come to a single line on the bar side (Y connection) and the Y line is much thinner on the Yeti then it was on the III series.

The bridle lines seem thinner and lighter on the Yeti then the III series. The speed system on the Yeti utilizes a single pulley whereas the III series utilized multiple pulleys. There is no sliding wingtip line on the Yeti (not sure if the single pulley and lack of sliding wingtip line is standard throughout or just on the smaller sizes). The bridle will look complex and intimidating to anyone who sees it for the first time because they use a complete 5th line bridle as opposed to a simple attachment on the existing bridle tabs like FS uses. I think this allows the kite to taco out more uniformly and reinflate with less issues.

I’ve only flown the 6m for about 90 minutes and generally would not do a review with so little time on it but a number of people have asked for my opinion which is why I’m posting my initial thoughts.

I flew the kite in off shore measured winds from 9-17 mph off (gusts were probably in the mid 20s. At 17 it was easy to hold down but a little much for me the first time out with it on my board given that I don’t like to get so much as damp and the sand on the beach was very soft and wet and sticky. At 9 mph I was still powered enough to get upwind (I weigh 145 and was riding a landboard).

Like the Eskimo, the rear lines NEED to be shortened for the Yeti to fly well. The kite comes with two knots on the rear line leaders on the bar side. Use the knots closest to you or the kite will not be as responsive as it should be (especially when depowered). If depowered, it may be helpful to add another knot lower down – I’m not sure as I wasn’t riding with it more then about 25% depowered.

The bar is fantastic but it is short. I had been flying my 4m Access before I switched to the Yeti. The Yeti bar felt shorter (it is 46cm) and that took some getting used to but by the time I packed up I didn’t leave thinking the bar was too short. It just felt short when switching from the Access to the Yeti. The kite turns very well given the single pulley speed system and short bar. No delay in turning and no surprises either, just a nice, constant turn which can be sped up if you get aggressive with the bar.

The trimmer is the same as on the III series. No depower, 50% depower, 100% depower and it works well. Its stiff at first, meaning its easy to depower but tougher to reset to full power but I think that is just because it is new and the buckle needs some use to soften up. The depower line is short, compared to my Eskimo, but I always felt the line was too long on the Eskimo which made reaching for the trimmer a bit of a stretch sometimes. There is a good depower range and IMO Gins like to be flown with the bar pulled mostly in and then you sheet out when needed (as opposed to other kites that like to be flown with the bar out and then you pull in for power).

I’m not a super aggressive jumper but I like air. The Yeti is super stable and predictable in its power delivery. It’s a confidence instilling kite. Even when the winds dropped to 9mph a light guy like me was getting about a foot of hoppy-like airs at the end of each run with a simple redirect and pull of the bar. The kite feels like it has some pop but I don’t send them very hard so a more aggressive jumper could tell you better then I. For me, it offers the type of “safe”, comfortable, predictable air on demand without any surprises.

Upwind performance was great and the kite didn’t need to be aggressively worked to fly upwind, even as the winds dropped off. It handled the gusts very well with no herky-jerky pops or accelerations through the window.

Negatives:
While flying static with the knots on the rear leader lines furthest from the bar and the kite fully depowered on the trimmer, it was less responsive to turn. I think that’s because the bar is short compared to others I've used for similarly sized kites. After I adjusted to the knot closest to me (recommended flying position) I jumped on the board and let the trim out and didn’t have this problem at all while riding and it hasn't been a problem since.

The kite does not like to be turned by holding the bar like a battle axe. I've seen some Flysurfer vids of riders doing that when kite looping but with new lines this caused some binding of the 5th and power lines where they pass through the bar and made the kite less responsive in the turns. Now this may just be because the lines are new and stiff and truthfully that's not normally how I work the bar through my turns and its easily avoided by turning the kite and progressively pulling the bar in or letting it out as you work it through the turn.

Conclusions:
I wanted a stable, moderate wind kite with more pop and better upwind performance then the Access but nothing punchy like other higher A/R kites and it appears to be exactly what the Yeti is. It was a pleasure to board on. Once I figured out how it liked to be turned (more brake input on the leaders and less battle-axing) it was a dream to turn. Smooth power, great upwind performance, super quality and stiching, really nice bar, really, really nice bag, looks great in the sky, and gets the job done. Can be parked and flown or worked with ease see-sawing the bar.

It’s promoted as a cross between the Inuit and Eskimo (or Access and Frenzy / Montana and Apex for better known kites) and I would say that’s exactly what it is. Stable enough for a beginner, enough upwind performance, speed, pop and lift for an experienced rider. Not likely to hurt you while getting the job done and it’s an alternate to all of the other, better known and distributed kites.

If you are considering a depowerable foil, I’d strongly recommend you consider Gin. I’m not sponsored and have no vested interest but would like to see them take off in the States so if I can answer any of your questions please don’t hesitate to post here or send me a u2u.

While this review was specific to the 6m, I also own a 4.5 Yeti and the same can be said of that kite. Its a little faster (given its size and the winds it flies in) and I consider it a powerful kite for its size but its characteristics are similar to what I've written about the 6m.

Fly Gin!!

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 07:28 PM

awesome review B but over the years Ive come to expect nothing less on your end. Una pregunta senor (one question), the fabric. I know youre in NE and an avid snow kiter. How well will the fabric/ripstop repel water which seems to be a concern by most frozen aqua pilots. Awesome looking kite indeed and glad youre stoked. Again awesome review with updates to follow no doubt....................:yes::thumbup:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-4-2011 at 03:59 AM

Not sure but my guess is quite well. I wouldn't drop it in the ocean but assuming it handles snow (wet or melting) as well as the Eskimo and knowing that Gin designed this as a snow kite, while I can't state for sure as I haven't had to repel any water, it is not something I'm currently worried about.

I never had a problem with repelling water on the Eskimo and I wouldn't think they took a step back on this sail as its 2 generations ahead of my Eskimo.

If it becomes a problem, launch it fast, fly it dry and stop crashing. :P;-)

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-4-2011 at 06:36 AM

Here is a link to a demo video on how the 5th line safety works on the Yeti.

http://vimeo.com/16887446

here is a better link to the 5th line on the Eskimo 3 series which shows how easily the kite reinflates. Same concept on the Yeti just not shown in the video link above.

and here is a link dispalying the type of bag you get with the kite. It is also for the Eskimo III series and while the bag has changed slightly, the high degree of functiohnality remains the same in the Yeti bag.

tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 20-4-2011 at 07:12 AM

Im sure they use some type of marine porcher ripstop............smart looking kite in the video:thumbup:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Jaymz

Mood: Wizzy

[*] posted on 20-4-2011 at 09:17 AM

Great review B. Safety looks neat. With 4 Eskimo I's I can vouche for Gin quality.They are top notch.
So how would you think the 4.5m Yeti would campare to the 4m Access XT for those nukin days?
Looking around the net, can't find much on pricing. One US site, Aspen, listed $1300 for all their Yeti sizes? :puzzled: Sent Windzup a message also.

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
Gin Eskimo 14m, 11m, 8.5m, 6m
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Litewave Storm 132, Wing 153
Libre Fullrace, PL Bigfoot
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-4-2011 at 10:25 AM

Yeti list prices for 2011 US dollars are as follows:
$899 4.5
$949 6.0
$999 8.0
$1049 10.0

Hard to say how it will be in the nukin' wind days as the winds weren't crazy gusty when I had it out. At 17+ I wasn't comfortable getting on the landboard the first time with the kite so I rode my 4m Access (sand was wet, soft and sticky and not ideal when I first showed up as the tide had just gone out). I think as I get more comfortable with the kite I could probably ride the 6 in 20+ if the winds are smooth but I really don't know. It is a smooth and stable ride. My belief is that it has a higher A/R then the Access so it will have a better bottom range and lesser top range. Probably turns about as quick as the newer Access models. Has more pop and less grunt but better upwind performance from my recollection of flying an Access a couple of times (though I didn't do a side to side comparison).

Speed system is very similar to the Access MK1 as is the sail shape but the bridle configuration is different.

Kite doesn't come with a user manual (part of Gin's green initiative) but the manual is on line here and from it you can see the bar setup, wind ranges, etc.

B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 05:00 PM

FYI, spoke with Windzup today and Brian confirmed that the bridle / speed system is the same for all kites in the range (all single pulley speed systems). Pretty simple yet effective bridle set up with comfortable amount of bar pressure.

Loving this kite. Super stable and a nice jumping kite for a non-super powered jumper like me. Fantastic low wind range. Great upwind capability. :thumbup::thumbup:

Kober
Posting Freak

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 06:56 PM

Thanks for review .....

I will get one of those this year ..... before first snow ......

.....keep posting as you use it more and more .....

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
Kober
Posting Freak

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 11:04 AM

4.5m is in my hands......

very well constructed..... bridle system looks complex for 4.5m ... .... wondering how busy will look on 10m.....
I have to wait until my injured leg get heal to test fly it......

can't wait .......

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 04:15 PM

The complexity of the bridle is simply because they use a full bridle for the 5th line so the kite tacos evenly and relaunches smoothly. Don't let it intimidate you. I've never had it tangle and it works a like a charm.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio