Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2012 Cabrinha Crossbow 16m
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 03:09 AM
2012 Cabrinha Crossbow 16m

I got a chance to demo the 2012 Cab Crossbow 16m yesterday during a demo event here. Flew it in pretty steady 15 - 20 mph winds and knee high surf. I weigh 230+ lbs and normally do downwinders in surf. I normally fly an 08 Best Bularoo 16. The Crossbow is a high aspect ratio kite, in the air it looked to be considerably bigger than my Bularoo although area wise they are the same. Sort of reminded me of what my North Rhinos looked like.

I've never been a fan of the Cabrinha bar set up and the 2011 is no exception. They cleaned up the chicken loop and rigging, that's an improvement over their earlier bars, but the bar ends are huge with tons of padding. If you tend you get hit with the bar you'll probably love this new one, but I thought it was bulky and ugly.

First thing I noticed was how much slower the kite turns than what I'm used to, a lot slower. I'd say it turned even slower than my Waroo 20m. That was disappointing. I pulled a couple jumps and found the Crossbow to deliver very smooth and very floaty jumps.

The depower strap's range was pretty tiny, which surprised me, but the long throw of the center line seemed to make up for it. I should note that a couple other guys flew the kite, some as light as 170 lbs, with no problems in the same wind that I (230 lbs) did. We all flew the kite fully depowered. This kite had no shortage of power for any of us.

Upwind ability of the kite is at least as good or better than my Bularoo, but I don't go upwind much any more so it's harder to judge. I also noticed that the kite had a more pronounced tendency to want to drop towards the horizon than my Bularoo. I had to keep more pressure on the bar to keep it where I wanted it.

Overall, I'd say this kite was obviously not designed for wave riding. If you want a stable kite with tons of power, good upwind ability, and very good lift/float for jumps, give this kite a try. For wave riding I'd give this kite a thumbs down, just too slow to turn and just not as predictable as I'd like. Although I didn't like the bar, if you do a ton a tricks and worry about the bar hitting you, the new Cabrinha bar is probably what you're looking for.
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 05:48 AM

How was the bar pressure?

The knobs also double as bar floats ... and they got even bigger on the 2012 bar :lol:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 09:02 AM

Oops, sorry, this -was- a 2012. The bar ends are huge, looks like a dog treat. :D

I didn't think bar pressure was bad at all, about the same as my Bularoo 16m. This kite might have a touch more power than my Bularoo 16, but the slow turning made it a no-go for me.
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 06:41 PM

Mmm ... don't suppose you've ridden a 16m Switchblade have you?

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 08:50 PM

thanks for the review Paul..........they (Cabrihna) are here i,n Charleston on Sullivans Island Sunday, part of their east coast swing.............thanks but no thanks Ill stay with my Wainmans, FSer Psycho 3 and Pulse 2s.........................I think you should make a east coast tour here to Chaz once I get my trach out and back on the water.....................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 30-7-2011 at 06:10 AM

@tridude - If Damien's there, I strongly recommend you give his kites a try. Cabrinha doesn't make any really big surf kites (in fact, not many companies do) but he had some smaller kites that the lighter weight guys were all goo-goo about. Plus, Damien is a super cool guy and a very talented kiter. Don't misinterpret my review, I didn't mean it to be a negative review, I'm not an average sized guy and my likes/dislikes probably aren't like most kiters either.
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 30-7-2011 at 08:20 AM

thanks Paul..........actually I value your reviews albeit blunt but no sugar coating, I like that.............Before my cancer and trach I loved riding waves and strapless which the Wainmans excel at................Chaz is a big market for Cabs and Ive ridden a few and true they go upwind well and boost......once Im back on the water (about 6 weeks) im going 100 percent strapless and downwinders on waves...........

Tomorrow nfleech and I are headed to Rock Hill , SC for our annual Carolina Crown/DCI fix.............................:thumbup:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio