Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Almost made the 1920 club
stetson05
Posting Freak

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 11:02 AM
Almost made the 1920 club

Went out to a buddy's house on the river where he can kiteboard off his property. The wind was looking good, about 16mph until I got there. It was sitting closer to 10 so I put up the 19m S2.5. I didn't know what it was gusting to but I thought mid-teens. I got out and rode and had a great session. A couple of times I felt really well powered during the gusts but most of the I just felt great. I went for a couple of jumps and had great air but no rideable landings.

This morning I looked up the history to find it was 12 gusting to 18-22 for most of the time. I have been scared to take it out in any gusts higher than 15 so this was a learning experience for me with this kite. During a couple of jumps I was in the air and suddenly got lifted higher with the kite overhead. Must have been the gusts. Well I thought I had made the 1920 club till I read that it was in knots. :no: Oh well, not something I am shooting for especially on this kite but I thought it would have been cool.

Short video with lots of glare, probably only cool to me, shot by my buddy from his deck. Nice view right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_m9jOZGXAY

Maybe I need some video help.

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
Looking_Up

Mood: waiting for the ankle to heal

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 11:26 AM

Um if i read right you did make the club because it takes more mph to equal a knot plus I think most guys in the 1920 club are riding arcs I was out in winds similar with 19 v2 but don't have the history so no membership

Kiting The Natural High

\"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.\" Leonardo da Vinci

Kites
Ozone: 2.5 Samuri, 3 & 4.5 Little Devil

Peter Lynn: 8 & 16 & 19 Venom II
12 Synergy

Liquid Force: 14 Havoc
WIllardTheGrey

Mood: Just buggy...

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 12:47 PM

22 knots = 25.3171479 mph:wee::wee:
But the chart you posted has MPH on the left side and Km/h on the right. No knots but at 18:00 there was a 25MPH gust.

Embedding Links, Pictures, and YouTube Videos in your posts.:thumbup:

\"Well we are all hurtling around in 3 wheeled, tip over prone, non crash tested vehicles with no brakes that we steer with our feet. Just sayin\'.....\" --heliboy50
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 02:02 PM

I'd give it to you solely based on the fact that I think Looking_Up is right and the "19" part of the 1920 club is an Arc. Still, 20 knots on either 19 is deserving of the induction.

:another hero is born:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 08:41 PM

Um du-uuuude ... arcs not foils :eek: crikey! You get the Gold membership card :lol:
I've been out in big gusts on the SA2 as well but I prefer it around 12 knots ... one time, the wind shifted and I was riding along nicely then suddenly YOINK was picked up and lobbed a couple hundred feet downwind ...!

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
stetson05
Posting Freak

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 20-9-2011 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
Um du-uuuude ... arcs not foils :eek: crikey! You get the Gold membership card :lol:
I've been out in big gusts on the SA2 as well but I prefer it around 12 knots ... one time, the wind shifted and I was riding along nicely then suddenly YOINK was picked up and lobbed a couple hundred feet downwind ...!

I remember it was arcs from a previous thread so I never aspired to reach it on my flysurfer. I was flying from 2-5pm so I wasn't on the water when it actually hit 25mph. I will take the membership anyway since you wrote it ;) The windmeter I posted from is about 1 mile, upwind and 20m higher than where I was riding so maybe the conditions I was in were less. I wouldn't rush to fly in winds gusting to 22 again but I won't be so scared of the 10mph gusting to 17 on water. On land is a different matter. Safety always. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help WIllardTheGrey

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio