Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kite Skating in Geneva
Terrablader

[*] posted on 14-4-2006 at 04:32 PM
Kite Skating in Geneva

This is GPS log (ingore the long red line) of skating near Geneva airport. [Using a Garmin Forerunner with a program called MotionBased that exports actual gps logs to Goggle Earth images].

Was a really rough field with gusty winds, I managed to get a few rides while waiting for the flight out (after skiing Chamonix)

Still VERY LITTLE LUCK GOING UPWIND... ?? This is my age old problem on other posts. is this because there is no way to glide on this surface? As you can see my rides were pretty short. Somewhere in that log is being dragged for about 20 meters on my stomac from a big gust. A large warehouse was upwind making turbulance as well.

Kite=Bullet 7.0 meter, wind 3-20 knots approx. variable.

Also the air traffic was a bit distracting! !! I eventually gave it up for fear that was a bit to close for confort.

It seems upwind you have very little pull (very little power going upwind?. Hopefully can get out to Lake Miramar soon to really learn this.

Bob is this near where you are?? I should have looked you up. I will be back out there again next year though.

http://www.terrablades.com/images/geneva.jpg

Note:

The skates are my Terrablades. www.terrrablades.com. They work on most any surface 8 wheels, with 4 mountainbike V-Brakes, for hills. We have now an electric powered rollercycle rig that pushes the skates at 50mph with 48 volt setup. That is on the discussion group page under announcements. Also there is a 65 meg movie of the skates doing hills, with rollercycle etc.

Regards, Rich

testing skates on a rainy day in town of chamonix
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 10:03 AM

Your trouble coming upwind may be in large part to the rough surface and bad wind conditions. Hard to say without having been there or having tried your skates. Sand is also difficult (though not impossible) for coming upwind, but I can match any buggy on grass or dirt. Have you tried kiteskating on grass fields? I'm tellin' ya... a trip to the CA dry lakes is worth the drive!

I don't skate much in Switzerland - not enough smooth open areas. The beaches of Normandy and Brittany (France) are my closest spots. Switz is better for kitesurfing and winter kiteskiing.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio