Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new Pansh fan
pongnut

Mood: Land and snow figured out... water?

smile.gif posted on 6-4-2012 at 03:00 PM
new Pansh fan

Got a 4m Pansh Flux last night (kite only). First thing, what everyone mentions about the fabric being slippery is spot on – like silk, crispy silk. I didn't feel like waiting for the lines and handles I ordered to get here, so I put on my 20m PL Twister lines and handles and gave it a quick go over lunch today. Wind was 22 - 32 mph and I figured the kite killers would save me from too much punishment. First launch straight down in the power zone resulted in immediate deployment of the killers – no surprise. Second launch gave me a chance to get the kite off to the side and park it there while I waited to get jerked around. Didn’t happen – kite just sat there nice and steady in the gusts – no lurching or folding or tip-tucking or anything. Brought it up to zenith and same thing, very steady and lot much lift at all. And even in these gusty winds, it never overshot the edge of the window once – nice! - I usually have to babysit the brakes on my other kites because of this. I tried to dip into the power a little bit but the brakes are a couple of inches too slack, so maybe next time. I did get a few atb runs up and down the field and am lovin’ the control of this Kite!

Well, sorry about the short review – maybe I’ll add to this (with vid or pics) next time I fly it.

2m Radsails Pro (from crazyherb), 2.1m Symphony Beach II (from Amazon), 3m HQ Beamer IV (from K-Bid), 4m Pansh Flux (from garydog), 4.7m Flexifoil Rage (from mougl), 5.6m PL Twister IIR (from Big Mike), 6m Flysurfer Peak 1 (from Flysurfer USA), 11m HQ Neo II (from kiteplace), 19m PL Venom II (from Smeagol), MBS Core 95 ATB (from Overstock.com), couple of ROSSIGNOL snowboards w/ SIS "click" bindings
airin

Mood: always keen, keen, keen!

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 08:41 AM

Hey Pongnut, glad to hear you are enjoying the new Flux. I flew a Flux last year at SOBB and also found it to be a very stable kite.

Yesterday I pulled a new Pansh Blaze, 7 m, out of the bag for its inaugural fly. For a low wind kite, it will do the job. Nothing fancy in terms construction or flying qualities but predictable and at a budget price.

Like the Flux, I found the Pansh brake lines too slack, even when attached almost right at the handles end.

So my question is, where will you take up the slack to get the brake lines dialed in? I am thinking that the only option is to extend the power lines....add some line at the handle end or kite end....which do you guys recommend?

Everything Changes
pongnut

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 09:07 AM

I have a good 30cm more of brake leader on the kite that I can move up on so I'll be adding a couple of knots closer to the kite.

If you don't have any place left to take up slack on the brake lines, I guess I'd get some longer power leaders or a couple of short extensions for the handles, as you suggest.

2m Radsails Pro (from crazyherb), 2.1m Symphony Beach II (from Amazon), 3m HQ Beamer IV (from K-Bid), 4m Pansh Flux (from garydog), 4.7m Flexifoil Rage (from mougl), 5.6m PL Twister IIR (from Big Mike), 6m Flysurfer Peak 1 (from Flysurfer USA), 11m HQ Neo II (from kiteplace), 19m PL Venom II (from Smeagol), MBS Core 95 ATB (from Overstock.com), couple of ROSSIGNOL snowboards w/ SIS "click" bindings
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 09:17 AM

get some PKD handles w/ clamcleats http://www.pkdkitesusa.com/products/PKD-Handles.html :eureka:

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 11:31 AM

I recommend adding slack at the kite end so the handle connections can remain the same among most of your kites... this is assuming you do not have enough handles and lines for all of your kites so that you have to swap kites around.

I find it is easier to do the rough tuning at the kite end so that when you are changing handles and lines you do not have to tune for the kite, but rather for the conditions (tight for high winds, loose for low).

Pansh kites in general demand more slack on the brakes than most other kites. I've not flown the flux though, just the earlier aces (2,5,8,12) which are in my quiver. Also I fly 90% static jump (for fitness) 10% landboard (for woohoo!)

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
pongnut

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WELDNGOD
get some PKD handles w/ clamcleats http://www.pkdkitesusa.com/products/PKD-Handles.html :eureka:

Those look pretty sweet - if I didn't have some handles on the way, I'd seriously consider those. :thumbup:

WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 06:32 AM

the Flux will handle brake input well. You can even fly by brake with it. Best kite pansh makes.That, and the First Race kite.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

dandre

Mood: Dems kite nerd fightin\' werds

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WELDNGOD

:o
airin

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 11:23 AM

Hummm....according to what you're saying Weldingod, the Flux is responsive to brakes...but with the Blaze, the brake lines, right out of the bag, were very loose and, therefore, no response from them at all. Eventually, after incrementally dialing in the brake lines, they became almost the same length as the power lines and still not very responsive..in fact, it is continued to be difficult to bring the kite back down without a lot of effort.

I'm wondering if this is a brake line issue or perhaps a bridle adjustment issue?

...ah, Pongnut, I seem to be hijacking your thread...sorry 'bout that....maybe I'd better go start a separate thread on this...

Everything Changes
pongnut

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 09:13 PM

Got to fly the Flux again today for an hour or so. Winds were 18-32mph. This time I used the 20m lines and handles from the HQ Beamer IV 3m, with a little more brake bias.

Different day - same story: once at the edge of the window, the kite is just slices through gusts - very little lift. Did notice that some of the power bridles get a little bit twisted sometimes when I deploy the killers - not too hard to undo, just a little bit of a pain in the field and adds about 10 minutes of downtime to the session. Also had my camera with me this time...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fEzbY56Bkd2yoVW_C5SmjU...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4RPa7pp-ooHarPjXWkrsWE...

pongnut

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by airin
Hummm....according to what you're saying Weldingod, the Flux is responsive to brakes...but with the Blaze, the brake lines, right out of the bag, were very loose and, therefore, no response from them at all. Eventually, after incrementally dialing in the brake lines, they became almost the same length as the power lines and still not very responsive..in fact, it is continued to be difficult to bring the kite back down without a lot of effort.

I'm wondering if this is a brake line issue or perhaps a bridle adjustment issue?

...ah, Pongnut, I seem to be hijacking your thread...sorry 'bout that....maybe I'd better go start a separate thread on this...

Sounds like there is still too much slack in your brake lines. Any chance of a picture of your lines when the kite is up?

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 11:10 AM

Airin,

I have some Qline you can have to add extensions to the front lines at the kite .

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
airin

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
Airin,

I have some Qline you can have to add extensions to the front lines at the kite .

Thanks BR, that'd be the ticket!

Everything Changes
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by airin
Yesterday I pulled a new Pansh Blaze, 7 m, out of the bag for its inaugural fly. For a low wind kite, it will do the job. Nothing fancy in terms construction or flying qualities but predictable and at a budget price.

Like the Flux, I found the Pansh brake lines too slack, even when attached almost right at the handles end.

So my question is, where will you take up the slack to get the brake lines dialed in? I am thinking that the only option is to extend the power lines....add some line at the handle end or kite end....which do you guys recommend?

Good thing you aren't a total noob stuck with this problem !
It will be interesting to find out if your lines are the wrong length or if the leaders from the kite are wrong .
Either way ...... it's NOT RTF, is it ! :smug:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
steve5767

[*] posted on 17-9-2012 at 11:04 AM

Got a Pansh Flux 2m for my 13yr old Son,what a GREAT lil' kite WE both love flying it,fast,breaks well, very smooth control!
Just Fantastic! Would never sell it thats for sure.
Proletariat

[*] posted on 17-9-2012 at 04:09 PM

I also fly a Pansh Flux 4.0m and I love it. However, I did get lofted about 8 feet the other day when I wasn't expecting it. A combination of 25mph gust and a poorly-placed kite for a pendulum jump REALLY took me up there.

A quick redirect kept me from busting my ankles, but I landed pretty hard and rolled. Anyway, the reason I mention it is that I really thought the Flux was pretty docile in almost all winds, with very little lift, but I was dead wrong.

This kite has some lift hiding for you if you can find it. Not as much as the Ace or the Blade (obviously), but I think it may have a Jekyll/Hide thing going on. I've been flying static for about a year and weigh about 175 lbs, for reference. I'm not a great pendulum jumper, but I can control a kite, keep it on the edges, keep consistent power, etc... I really didn't expect it to lift THAT much... Just thought you should know. :)

Anyway, how do you find it compares to the Twister IIR? I was thinking about that as my next kite (assuming I don't go depower).
snowspider
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-9-2012 at 05:46 PM

I just read thru the whole tread, sorry so late to the party. My old Pansh blaze may be an extreme example of what you guys are up against. It requires enormous brake input , I have almost no slack in the brake lines , I use handles that are longer than the original ones and (except in the lightest winds) I fly with a strop and harness. In stronger winds I have to slide my hand down the handle to be able to pull on the brake as far as I need to. So besides having the back lines just right try longer handles if possible and really crank on them , see what that does.

2.6 , 3.9 , 5.3 , 6.8 PL Vipers
5 , 7.5 HQ Apex II
14m HQ Montana VII
5m naish element
7m ss turbo diesel
10m pansh blaze

5m beamer dearly departed into a tree
3 "snowspider" homebuilt kite sleds
3 homebuilt buggies
1 skate board with seat on wheels or blades (the c0ckroach)
pongnut

[*] posted on 17-9-2012 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Proletariat
...Anyway, how do you find it compares to the Twister IIR? I was thinking about that as my next kite (assuming I don't go depower).

Hard to compare the Twister and Flux because of the size difference. The Twister is slower turning and pulls like a truck compared to the 4m Flux.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio