Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Attempt...
flyhigh142

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 09:53 PM
First Attempt...

It all looked so good in my head. I have a Beamer 2.5 and a Blade 6.6 was aquired just this morning. I went to my lcal schoolyard after work and got laughed at by third graders. After flying the smaller kite for a few minuted to test the air, (2-8, thermaly) I staked the handles and strapped into my new homebuilt Doomwheels. The Beamer just didn't generate enough power to lift me up into a standing postiton, so I attempted to stand on my own, then pick up the handles. It's impossible! I managed to get my feet up next to my hips in a squatting position, but when I stretched out and grabbed a wheel in each hand (thanks yoga) I'd do a wheelie and land on my ass every time. I tried everything I could think of, except ask for asistance from the third graders gathered around. I just know I would have ended up tangled in line and children. Bruising an ego is bad enough, hurting a child because I want to have fun is just plain wrong. Trying to swear silently is really tough, by the way. I ended up just doing some skudding with my new blade when the conditions allowed. Combining a new, relatively large kite that's known for it's lift and power I have almost no experience with, and a set of wheels on my feet I have no experience with just didn't seem like a good idea. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe I'll have better luck. After lookng at the Doomwheels website again I see where I made a few mistakes, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm open!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 11:03 PM

Hi flyhigh142, Congrats and welcome to kiteskating!

If there is something nearby to sit on (tail gate etc), put on your skates after setting out the kite. Then you only have to bend over to pick up the handles. Easiest way to pick things up from the ground is to position the item between your skates and bend over leaning forward. The farther you separate the skates, the lower you can reach.

If you still can't reach the ground and need to sit, reach down, grab the front wheels and lower your butt down onto the back wheels. Reverse this to stand up making sure to pull your weight forward to avoid doing a wheelie.

Learning to kiteskate:
http://www.doomwheels.com/kiteskating/learn.php

If you have tips for other beginners, please post them to the forum.
Be safe and enjoy!

flyhigh142

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 07:51 AM
Thanks

When I went back to your site to look at your gallery last night, the lawn chair sure jumped out at me. mine's in the back of my car right now, but the forcast doesn't look promising for this afternoon. Thanks for the help, Doomwheels! I'll keep you posted and try what you said.:D
flyhigh142

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 12:28 PM
Newbie lessons learned

Well, yesterday was better than my first try at doomwheeling, but I made a couple of decisions I shouldn't have. There were no baseball games going on at the sports park, so I chose that field - (Good decision). When I realized my kite stake had been left behind the last time I flew, I decided to fly anyway - (Bad decision). It was light, so I laid out my blade 6.6 and started walking toward the handles, between the lines, sliding my fingers along the mains as I went - (Dumb Move!) I felt a gust on my face and immediately leaped out from between the lines and went for the brake lines - Kinda smart, kinda dumb, in that I wasn't wearing gloves. Hard to figure which are the brakes when you're in a rush. Didn't get cut, amazingly enough. At one point, one line was wrapped around a finger and started to tighten. Talk about a quick burst of adrenaline. I yanked my finger out and was able to control the kite, and finally made my way to the handles. By now it had picked up, but I felt I had enough experience to handle it. Wahoo! Off the ground a few feet and heading toward a cyclone fence at an unbelieveable speed. I was trying to decide whether I should keep on the top lines, running the risk of gaining altitude, but hopefully less forward momentum, or grab the brakes and just fall where I was. I had one of those play-doh machines as a kid and the idea of getting smushed through all those little squares didn't appeal to me. I wisely hit the brakes. I dragged it over to a picnic table by the brake lines and velcro'd the killers together around a leg. (good decision) After awhile the wind died down a bit, so I flew it, taking care to keep it near the top of the window, then stuffed it away. Took out the smaller wing and strapped on my doomwheels, which I still haven't been able to figure out yet, mostly due to conditions. I was able to go maybe 20' before the wind died completely and I ended up just standing there. I didn't fall down, so I consider it a success. I learned a few things: Bring your kite stake, if you don't have one, bring a friend. (that's a great idea anyway) If you have niether, don't fly. Always err on the side of safety. If you think it might be too strong for your skills, it probably is. Don't walk toward the handles running your hands along the main lines, grab the brake lines instead and wear gloves. Big kites pull HARD! I may as well have been tied to a truck. When a thermal blows through, it's heading downwind and so are you. I should have launched from the edge, rather than directly downwind. I did so in all following launches. It was very cool to lay on my back, get lifted to a standing position, drop slowly down again and repeat. Even though the field may seem large at first, they get small real fast when you're beeing lifted and travelling downwind unexpectedly. As in most extreme sports, things happen FAST. Be safe.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio